• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New "Prima" movie service

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
OK, so I suppose us Kalediescape owners index pretty high for this new startup's target market.

Would you pay for their $20k hardware in order to watch first-run movies at home on the same day-and-date as theatrical release?

Will they actually get those rights?

Will even the atypical high-end cinephile consumers do this in enough volume to make this viable? Eager to hear from our dealer friends here if they see more than a handful of real prospects for this.

Did I mention that on top of the $20k hardware, you have to pay (are you sitting down?)... $500 for each movie you want to watch? That's not a typo... $500 per movie viewed on top of the purchase of the hardware!

Last question to spark the discussion... if they can do this, shouldn't Kaleidescape offer this type of thing since their hardware is already in the homes/yachts/planes of probably 75% of the people who might also buy this service? Seems the two companies should hook up...

Article here.

WSJ article on the company here.

--josh

Beautiful. I can see this as being incredible for having movie watching parties at home. Personally, I would pay this, and probably by the big movies I want to watch at home. But I would not sign up if the service lacked the big name movies, like ironman, batman, inception caliber...

Of course I have a few more law school exams to go before I can even put action to words :)

I had actually contacted the company (email only) and have not heard back at this point. Last year I received a similar offer from another company that indicated they had several major studios onboard, but the cost IIRC was $30K annually, and you could store the movies on a Server that would be sold as part of a companion hardware interface when you bought the package. I don't think that company has done anything at this point (unless they morphed into these new guys with a lower price point).

The $30 annually was my only issue. I'm "in" at $20K and $500 per movie, but only if:
They have at least 4 major studios (at present only Universal), and some Independents.
I can select which movies interest me (not be forced to buy each release, which I'm told (unconfirmed) is required).
I can keep a copy, preferably a BR disc copy that I can store in my K system.:)

If that happens, count me in!!

Jim

If you made it anamorphic 1080P I might consider it. As it is we're losing resolution to black bars! We could beat BR with a little extra resolution... And LPCM!

I could see myself paying $500 to view a film on the day of release albeit rarely.

I am struggling to see the value in $20k of hardware to enable this but I have not seen the detail.

The thought of importing a film into a K system that authorises via the internet at the appropriate time is appealing. I would still require a disc that would play in a stand alone player to keep in my media library.

I agree JDS... am hoping the two companies decide to work together rather then sell separate high-end hardware to the same small audience segment.

A long shot.. I assume both companies really want to control the user experience.

But will be interesting to see how this unfolds... looking forward to learning more about Prima.

--josh

I wonder if the kscape platform could be extended to provide such a service. i would love to watch first run movies at home without annoying interruptions like people talking and the constant glow of cell phone screens being checked throughout the film.

I can't see this working for me personally. I actually kind of enjoy heading out of the house to go see a movie when there's one I want to actually see. $20k plus $500 per movie (forced) is a bit ridiculous, especially if it's locked down (as I imagine it will be)

I agree, it probably will not work. That said, the cost is not really an issue for their target market. The market may not be as big as they think, but it does exist. Here is the perfect prospect for this system:

1. First, has "throw away" money (defined as "Would not even notice the expense").

2. Likes movies, but no longer goes to the theatre because they have a better theatre experience at home (perhaps a full sized theatre with high-end gear), and they don't have to contend with crowds, noise, rude people, and sick people. (I'd include $5.00 candy, $6.00 popcorn and a $6.00 drink,..... but See #1 above...:D)

3. Likes convenience, and is willing to pay for it.

4. For some, big ego, likes to impress friends.

Personally, I know several people that meet that criteria, and that's just me. So, I think it "could" work, but they have to provide more than one or two studios, and the ability to store a persistant copy for at least the period of time between theatre release and a BR release to the general public.

Jim

Funny you say the sick people part. The last few movies Ive gone to Ive been more sensitive to people coughing etc.

The two things movies can give that I can't get at home is the social experience, sick people and all, and a larger than life screen thats a good distance away from you.

I guess I am seeing a different target audience. I figure they would have something like this at the White House, various heads of state, etc, where the expense of going to the theater is astronomical due to security details and the effort just isn't worth the hassle.

For you or I, we look at this as a "my experience at home is better" but for others, they simply are not able to make a trip to the theater due to their status (head of state, triple A level celebrity, uber wealthy people in countries with poor security)

That said, there is just a really limited number of people who would qualify as such a target client.

I think for those people, they will have an actual film projector and will get the actual film, or maybe now it is digital. But its a good point you bring up about security. Think outside the USA- if youre a successful businessman (or woman) in some places you really need an intense level of security.

Good points Mike.

Jim

The two things movies can give that I can't get at home is the social experience, sick people and all, and a larger than life screen thats a good distance away from you.

We have to agree with that J. You gotta leave the house at some point :D

We're off to see Harry Potter 7 with the kids this weekend and the anticipation and excitment from the little ones is great to see!

Pan

Sorry it's not the weekend yet!?! :D Although I wish it was! :eek:

I'll let you know, but Tron looks very very good! I'm gonna make tracks for that also!!

Pan

I'll let you know, but Tron looks very very good! I'm gonna make tracks for that also!!

It will make for an excellent reference disc. Unfortunately the story is simply pedestrian. See it in theatres for the experience, but make sure to stick to the matinee.

Back