• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Premire server announced!!

So, with the 1U+ and the outlook mostly on the Encore line. Is there a process where one can just turn in their 1U Premier hardware for Encore? Is it an even swap for a Strata C and a Terra server?

See the answers above. (That Promo option does not yet exist.)

Jim

Yes it is. But I think that all comes down to fan noise.
I 3U is loud but it also has seven 3'' fans plus the 5'' fan for the power supply.
So it is a little louder.
Now the 1U has has smaller fans and less of them so it is quieter.

Wait- I'm asking if the revised 1U is quieter than the old 1U. Is it?

I'm not sure anyone has one yet, but I will report back on sound when I get one, unless someone else reports sooner.

Jim

From what I understand the noise level is the same.
They only put larger hard drives in it. They didn't change the chassis.

They did change the power supply, so in theory could have required a fan change, but that wasn't mentioned in the release, and I never thought to ask production. In any case, I agree, not likely to be any significant noise level changes, but we'll see soon enough.

Jim

But that being said the 1U Server is way quieter then my 3U Server and sucks a lot less power:)

But that being said the 1U Server is way quieter then my 3U Server and sucks a lot less power:)

That's for sure. If I didn't have a dedicated equipment room it would be unbearable. Before I upgraded to a 3u because of storage necessity, I had the 1u in my main viewing room. This makes a viable option for people with a "reasonable" library.

For those waiting for release of larger drives for their 1U and 3U Servers, it is not likely to happen in the near term, if ever. Only the 1U+ in the Premiere line is capable of using the new larger drives K is offering. For now, 6TB are still the largest drives available for Premiere systems (unless you upgrade to a 1U+, and that Promo should be available soon).

Jim

For those waiting for release of larger drives for their 1U and 3U Servers, it is not likely to happen in the near term, if ever. Only the 1U+ in the Premiere line is capable of using the new larger drives K is offering. For now, 6TB are still the largest drives available for Premiere systems (unless you upgrade to a 1U+, and that Promo should be available soon).

Jim

Why ? Can't the 1U power supply handle the bigger drives ?

Mike

Thanks for clarifying that Jim. I was not aware of that limitation

Can a 1U+ be paired with other 1U servers? If so, I'm assuming the 1U+ can be grandfathered when paired with a system. Jim?

As far as I know the answer is yes, it is still a Premiere component, but I'll double check.

Jim

Yes, confirmed, it's the updated replacement for the current 1U, so still a Premiere component and fully integrates with all other Premiere components.

Jim

Why ? Can't the 1U power supply handle the bigger drives ?

Mike

Apparently not. IIRC, code used to control the storage function was also modified, but I don't know the details.

Jim

And grandfathered?

Yes, it functions just like any other Premiere server being added to an existing system. If the system is grandfathered, the new server has the same capability while a part of that system. If it should ever be separated from that system, it would revert back to a non-Grandfathered status, and any protected DVD content on that Server would not be playable.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Always good news to hear about new gear coming from k. Alas I await with bated breath for integration

Hope all is well

All good, thanks Mike. Hopefully we'll see integration of Premiere and Encore in a few months.

Jim

Cool. Just in time for the Sony OLED 75" to come down in price! Dare I say the 100"!!!

C'mon...you can pick up the 100"....just sell one of your cars!:D

Jim

Back