• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New KEAOS Release. Home BR movies supported!

Mr.Poindexter

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Good news for people who shoot their own home videos in HD.

Kaleidescape announces the deployment of KEAOS 4.0.2, which includes the following new features:
? Self-authored Blu-ray Discs can now be imported
You can now import home movies and other BDMV titles. The disc need not be in the tray to play an unencrypted Blu-ray movie from the server.
? Blu-ray movies can now be replicated
When you replicate content from a server to a system, Blu-ray movies are now copied along with DVDs and CDs.
KEAOS 4.0.2 was distributed automatically to all Kaleidescape movie servers with M-Class players in July 2010.

Thanks for posting this Mike!:)

Jim

The home-BD import seems to work well so far. I am importing my home movies with no issues so far.

However, I notice that after importing, whey I go back to replay the movies, they start up almost instantaneously - like regular DVDs or CDs would. It's great! In fact, one of my home-movies took nearly 40 GB of space and had to be pressed on a dual layer (50GB) blu-ray disk - and yet it imported in 45 minutes and playback starts instantaneously.

But when I import a commercial film - say Avatar - the playback is very slow to start (like playing the blu-ray in a player). It takes quite a while for the first messages and menu to display. My understanding was that after importing a movie, playback would access the content from the server - not the disc - despite having to keep the disk in the tray. So why would an imported movie be so slow to start vs. my home-shot blu-ray movies?

Could it be due to more handshaking going on among components due to copy protection?

Either way, this is a great improvement.

In addition to lacking the AACS checks, could the faster load speed also be no BDlive components to go online and check for?

Is there a tutorial on how to create disks for hi-def home movies that can now be imported? I have content in AVCHD, MP4, and MOV...

It's a slow, but very rewarding exercise. Being able to call up years of HD home movies on any television in the house is an amazing experience. That said, getting there can take a while...

I have an AVCHD Sony HD camcorder - hard disk based, although a lot of my earlier videos were shot in HDV on tape. So, the first step is to get the video files off the camera onto your computer. For the newer cameras (e.g., flash and HD based), its a simple drag-n-drop exercise, once you've connected the cameria via USB to your computer. Next use non-linear video editing software (e.g., Adobe Encore, Sony Vegas) to process the files. For tape-based footage, you can use this software to actually control the camera and extract the content.

I use Sony Vegas, so I simply create a project, then drag-n-drop my video files onto the "timeline", where the software then processes the video and audio. This is where you usually insert chapters and effects. You need to set the project up appropriately (i.e. HD video resolution of the input files, audio settings - 5.1, etc, and output resolution and format). I transcode the output to MPEG-2 and 5.1 surround). The Sony Vegas software has a burn-to-bluray feature that takes my timeline content (including chapter insertions) and prepares a .ISO image. Depending on how much content you have, this can take a very, long time - like hours to days of uninterrupted processing. HD rendering and transcoding is a very CPU intensive operation, so the more CPUs and cores you have available, the better.

Once that .ISO image is created, you're in the home stretch. I use IMGBURN, a very simple, free utility to burn a bit-image copy of the .ISO file to a blank Blu-ray disc. That can take a while too - again depending on the amount of content and your hardware capabilities (e.g., burning speed). I have an older laptop with an early blu-ray writer, so it can take an hour or so just to burn the disc. Once that's done, insert it into an M500, import and voila - you have beautiful, home-shot movies playing on the kscape. It's a beautiful thing :D

On a mac you want roxios toast with the HD plug in and also a 3rd party BR burner. Its not something that you have right out of the box but it can be done fairly easily. You can copy the HD files from the cam corder directly to the software and just make a BR disc. Or you can use imovie to edit your files- then you go to export and if you are using the new imovie there is an export to 1080p option. You export to that and drag that file to toast- make sure to tell toast to add chapters every few minutes as all of that is lost in translation. Its not as smooth as if you have idvd but its better than nothing.

Suggestion to K: allow direct dumps from HD camcorders, so that means supporting AVCHD at some point.

Back