• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

new Kaleidescape video

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Well... I'll give them points for trying something new in terms of style and approach...

If the inline video above doesn't work in your browser,
here's a link to it on YouTube:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwsVtsxNcFI"]Movie Night - YouTube[/nomedia]

Cute, I see what they were going for... but IMHO, it seems they could have accomplished it with about 1.5 minutes cut out of this thing. The "Problem" part of the video ("Act I"?) goes on waaaaaay too long for most people to stick around for the "solution" in Act II, the Kaleidescape demo. And that demo is actually too SHORT - doesn't even show anything other than the flying covers... doesn't effectively show the instant start, scenes, trailer/warning skipping, movie summaries, etc., all the things that bothered the family in "Act I".

(everyone's a critic, right? :) )

But as I said, points for trying something new!

--josh

Last edited:
oh and the head-on SLAM of Netflix Instant (around 2m:15s in) is pretty amusing! Definitely a different tone for K. (defensiveness? or are they getting ready to show the right way to do movie downloads?)

I agree with Ian. The whole thing should be 15-20 seconds... "Kaleidescape... you'll watch the movie". Thats it.

The problem for Kaleidescape is beyond those of us who love our collections/ want the best picture and sound quality/ there are devices like Apple TV and its hard to argue with the cost of say an Apple TV plus a few bucks for a rental stream vs the cost of a K system plus the cost of a new DVD or BR if you're only going to watch something once. Kaleidescapes best strength is that it allows you to easily navigate your collection. But if you're not a collector then whats the point?

I think as the streamers get better and better its going to be more difficult for Kaleidescape, which makes me sad because I'm a big fan.

I agree Jerry. I had a lot of DVDs and wanted an easy way to store and access them, which is why I got a kscape. Now that even my TiVo can stream movies I own digitally, I don't know if it's a purchase I'd make again (today). Then again, there are cheaper options these days so I might still take the plunge.

I'm sure they couldn't show the instant start of the movie (the Dreamworks logo) because they aren't licensed - they showed a generic "cloudscape" in lieu of the Dreamworks cloud logo to show the start of the movie.

I think for old (and recent) TV shows, Netflix works..managing the queue is cumbersome but I like how once you are on your title, they queue up the next episode for you after you have watched the last and their content isn't too stale. That is where I see Netflix...Tv content. Their movie content for instant is pretty poor.

Wow, that setup really did just keep going on and on forever. Not sure whether knowing about the length in advance made it feel worse. At first I was wondering when the "not permitted by disc" (for/FF skipping previews) bit would appear, and then I remembered K does it too. Then again, I would argue that if the decision comes down to Shrek vs. the Karate Kid remake... maybe flipping through the discs was the best way for them to spend the night. Neither was horrible, but remembering the good parts of many movies while going through them is better.

However, the REAL payoff was after the end. That's an... interesting (to say the least) mix of related videos K got themselves inolved with.

@josh - I don't think the kncok on Netflix is a good idea for a company that has said downloaded content is coming, without being a fully matured product with a proven library of next to anything we can think of (and don't already have.) Far too much potential for that coming back to bite them in the early days.

Mars, I think they could show that because its just being shown briefly as a product demonstration- I think its different from using their logo or content to sell your product- its just a brief demo. I think thats OK. But thats just my take.

Good point Transepoch.

Back