• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Remote

David23

Interesting. I thought a physical K remote was done forever.

For those who didn't get the email:

New Remote Control for Strato Players
A new remote control has been chosen to replace the previous white remote control for Strato players. The new remote control is intuitive and features a streamlined set of buttons. In this kOS release, we have added support for new commands including: Search, Back, Play/Pause Toggle, and Closed Captions. There is no number pad on the remote, so some interfaces on the OSD that require number entry have been modified to use an onscreen number entry. The remote control will be included with new Strato players and is now available for purchase as an add-on.

New Kaleidescape Remote.jpg

They're IR.... (no BT or WiFi)

Jim

Are these wifi, bluetooth or infra red? I am guessing by the price that they won't be wifi. Thx
you left out RF, which would be the best case besides TCP/IP, if the stratos have an RF receiver

I have a Strato C on its way to me. It should arrive later today. I will inform whether it will arrive with the new remote.

Does anyone know if picking up this remote and pressing power-on will properly send CEC-HDMI commands to AV controllers for powering on and input switching, and to other downstream devices? That could portend a world without much need for universal IR commands, at least in simplet setups like mine. Pick up and use AppleTV remote for streaming services, pick up and use K remote for Kaleidescape, and everything switches and powers on-off as desired.

[EDIT]
Aw crap, just noticed the new remote doesn't have volume up/down buttons. Shame. The simplistic AppleTV remote does everything properly with CEC including pass-through volume control... wish the new K remote had this.

you left out RF, which would be the best case besides TCP/IP, if the stratos have an RF receiver
I had an out of warranty 2U Strato a couple of years ago. I opened it up to see what it looked like inside (I am a curious engineer). I didn’t see any RF/BT/WiFi components on the mainboard. I don’t remember any expansion ports other than 2x Sata ports for a later add on. 1x Sata is used for the 6TB Hdd (2nd Sata is unused).

I never opened my Strato C as it is still under warranty. The size of the mainboard in the regular Strato is the same size as Strato C hence I assume they share the same board. Based on this, I don’t believe a BT/WiFi/RF remote is possible without a revision on the board.

I had an out of warranty 2U Strato a couple of years ago. I opened it up to see what it looked like inside (I am a curious engineer). I didn’t see any RF/BT/WiFi components on the mainboard. I don’t remember any expansion ports other than 2x Sata ports for a later add on. 1x Sata is used for the 6TB Hdd (2nd Sata is unused).

I never opened my Strato C as it is still under warranty. The size of the mainboard in the regular Strato is the same size as Strato C hence I assume they share the same board. Based on this, I don’t believe a BT/WiFi/RF remote is possible without a revision on the board.
Size of RF components shouldn't be an issue... the AppleTV box has had it for years, and that's a very tiny board in there.
I don't understand what people are inferring about wifi... there's zero reason to put "wifi" components in a strato... it already necessarily has TCP/IP so can be controlled by "wifi"... just like every modern component out there.

Does anyone know if picking up this remote and pressing power-on will properly send CEC-HDMI commands to AV controllers for powering on and input switching, and to other downstream devices? That could portend a world without much need for universal IR commands, at least in simplet setups like mine. Pick up and use AppleTV remote for streaming services, pick up and use K remote for Kaleidescape, and everything switches and powers on-off as desired.

[EDIT]
Aw crap, just noticed the new remote doesn't have volume up/down buttons. Shame. The simplistic AppleTV remote does everything properly with CEC including pass-through volume control... wish the new K remote had this.
Don’t you know the default volume is 0db and always remains that way to watch movies :) Why bother with volume buttons ;)

Size of RF components shouldn't be an issue... the AppleTV box has had it for years, and that's a very tiny board in there.
I meant I didn’t see any chipsets, receivers etc. integrated on the board and no sockets to add such a component.

Does it need to be ordered by a dealer? Or can I order it directly?
I can't find it on the stores sight.

They’re IR only and no volume control? What a miss. Worthless.
I have to agree... I can't believe in 2023 there would be a new remote control that ONLY communicated via IR. I've long since abandoned IR control... way back like 20 years ago when Plasma TVs were introduced that obliterated infrared signals anywhere near TVs. I redid everything to be RF and IP only.

The AppleTV remote did it right, at least in terms of communicating from remote to its box and from the box to other source components. While it has IR emitters it can use if you absolutely MUST control an amp or TV that antiquated way, it does everything it can during setup to first try to control your devices with TCP/IP, HDMI-CEC, and certainly with RF for reliability of transmitting its own commands to the AppleTV box itself.

And, even with Apple's minimalist design philosophy, they knew they had to put volume up & down (and mute) buttons on the remote if they wanted it to be useful as your "only" remote.

Last edited:
I have to agree... I can't believe in 2023 there would be a new remote control that ONLY communicated via IR. I've long since abandoned IR control... way back like 20 years ago when Plasma TVs were introduced that obliterated infrared signals anywhere near TVs. I redid everything to be RF and IP only.

The AppleTV remote did it right, at least in terms of communicating from remote to its box and from the box to other source components. While it has IR emitters it can use if you absolutely MUST control an amp or TV that antiquated way, it does everything it can during setup to first try to control your devices with TCP/IP, HDMI-CEC, and certainly with RF for reliability of transmitting its own commands to the AppleTV box itself.

And, even with Apple's minimalist design philosophy, they knew they had to put volume up & down (and mute) buttons on the remote if they wanted it to be useful as your "only" remote.
Totally agreed

My nvidia shield, zeedo and Zappiti are all RF and can control via CEC (not to mention TV remotes are only IR fallback primarily now). Blows my mind that the most premium product on the market is so behind.

Back