• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New Kaleidescape Mini System Announcement!

Seriously though, I am getting so frustrated with Bluray. anydvdhd rips the disks now. People are ripping disks now. why are these CE companies such idiots as to not have figured this out by now?

It is the legality of ripping Blu-ray content as it is my understanding that managed copies are not currently allowed.

As for the release of the player, why rush it and release a product prematurely only to release a new one 2 years later to resolve the bugs?

One of the main reasons why I recommend Kaleidescape to my customers is because their investment in such a premium product is protected due to the amount of R&D that Kaleidescape invest in everything they do.

Take the MP3 encoding used in Conductor. Tell me who would write their own codec when you could purchase one for a lot less from a plethora of software companies!

Control of additional audio zones through handheld remote

I am wondering if there is control of the second audio zones through the handheld remote or if you require to use the web interface or third party control system to drive them....

Hey,

What a great product!

Has anyone heard what additional mini-drives will cost?

I assume since it says that the default config holds 75 DVDs, that it means that two 500 GB drives are included, and one can be added?

Thanks, Steven

You can add 2 additional 500GB disks (total of 4, one is KRAID, the others storage (225 DVD's possible). MSRP is $595 per disk.

Jim

Last edited:
...I'm also not sure that anydvdhd software does it legally.

It is clearly viewed by content owners as being illegal, and they have taken steps to go after companies like AnyDVD. In light of recent court comments/rulings, I expect the content owners will prevail.

Until licenses are in place that allow for persistent copies, like it or not, we have what we have and K will always take the high road when it comes to copyright protection.

Jim

Right. Its not that K doesn't have the technical ability to rip a BR disc. I am sure they could if they tried- Id even bet they have a setup that is capable of this should be they get what they need to get to give us BR ripping. Its the legality/ licensing that has to be sorted out. Once they sort that out, in theory, we could have BR ripping. Hooray!! :) I would also love to be able to rip my DVD-As but I don't know if theres a big enough demand for that.

I am wondering if there is control of the second audio zones through the handheld remote or if you require to use the web interface or third party control system to drive them....

The remote (IR) only controls the primary video zone. The second and third audio zones must be controlled via the web interface or a control panel of some sort (AMX, Crestron, Pronto, iPod Touch/iPhone etc).

I'm pretty certain it's a Yes also to the question about using one loader to store content to any available server with space.

That is correct. In a multiple-server system (including the Mini System) the import will go to the server with the most available space at the time the import is started.

Additional Drives

So the new 500 GB drives will cost the same as the 1 TB drives for the 1U or 3U?

If that is true, it just threw a monkey wrench in my plan....

So the new 500 GB drives will cost the same as the 1 TB drives for the 1U or 3U?

If that is true, it just threw a monkey wrench in my plan....

SORRY! My bad, I hadn't had my coffee prior to posting.:eek: (Thanks Jay!!)

The correct price is $595 msrp per disk. Your dealer can provide more details. (I made the change to my post above)

Jim

Mini Drive Pricing

Jim,

Thanks for the information. Since it's a new product, it was within the scope of possibility that a 500 GB and 1 TB could be the same price, but I was a little concerned about how I'd make my personal decision based on that.

Just curious, to all, has anyone calculated the storage points that make it economically reasonable to pick the mini, 1U, or 3U? I've been playing around with a spreadsheet, and it seems like the mini is best for 2.5 TB or less...?

Thanks, Steven

...I'm also not sure that anydvdhd software does it legally.

Well, Im not one of those "LOL K Suxor I can build my HTPC for way cheaper" guys- I am totally in love with the K and have recommended it to several people who have purchased one for themselves- but I just cannot justify it if it cannot import bluray. And I don't blame K for this- its bluray's fault.

The issue here, at least in my opinion, is the fact that bluray is losing business because they refuse to meet the needs of the consumer. The consumer needs to be able to make a copy of the media they purchased. The consumer needs the ability to enjoy their media any way they choose. This need is a right according to the fair use doctrine, which I believe was never overturned. It's just that decrypting copyright encryption is now a crime due to the digital millenium copyright act. But- the fact that this can interfere with fair use has never been tested in court.

So Media companies continue to say that it is illegal to use, and the issue of legal precedent being tested has never been brought up.

Can anyone else chime in here on the legal arguments?

Well, Im not one of those "LOL K Suxor I can build my HTPC for way cheaper" guys- I am totally in love with the K and have recommended it to several people who have purchased one for themselves- but I just cannot justify it if it cannot import bluray. And I don't blame K for this- its bluray's fault.

The issue here, at least in my opinion, is the fact that bluray is losing business because they refuse to meet the needs of the consumer. The consumer needs to be able to make a copy of the media they purchased. The consumer needs the ability to enjoy their media any way they choose. This need is a right according to the fair use doctrine, which I believe was never overturned. It's just that decrypting copyright encryption is now a crime due to the digital millenium copyright act. But- the fact that this can interfere with fair use has never been tested in court.

So Media companies continue to say that it is illegal to use, and the issue of legal precedent being tested has never been brought up.

Can anyone else chime in here on the legal arguments?

These discussions will continue to resurface from time-to-time but the law up to this point remains the same. You touched on it in your comment. The current situation is that arguably (clearly in the eyes of many) the Fair Use Doc. allows consumers to make a fair use copy of their copyprotected content. However, to accomplish this the CSS (copy control) on a copy protected DVD/BR must normally be defeated (I say normally because some devices will duplicate content without defeating the CSS) in order to copy the content. The problem is that the DMCA clearly prohibits the use of any device that circumvents the copy control (among other things).

Basically, you have two Federal laws that are to some extent conflicted. This leaves open legal arguments on both sides and muddies the water for consumers wanting to know if they can copy their copy protected content. The reason why most manufacturers tread carefully in this area is because win, lose, or draw, being hauled into court to defend their respective positions regarding access to copy protected content is a VERY expensive proposition. Just ask K.

All of that said, not many are in a hurry to test these waters where BR is concerned. Those that have, while perhaps being heroic in the eyes of some consumers, do so at their own peril. We'll see.

What is also clear, is that K will not enable copying BR content until it is legal to do so and all of the whinning, complaining, and "egging-on" by impatient owners will not change that position.

Jim

So it's just the copying of BR content issue that's holding up release of the blue laser player? Might they just release it as play only, and when the copying issues are sorted out then do a software update to enable it?

Correct, The BL Player is being released later this year and as already noted in the official announcement, it will not initially be capable of importing BR to the Server but it will "play" BR content.

Jim

Am I the only one that feels a little bit of "sour grapes" about the new mini-system and the related price reductions of the 1080p players and storage disks? I just got my system 5 months ago and, if I understand correctly, it sounds like it would have cost me about 35% less if I bought it this year! First the stock market and now this...

I know this happens with technology products all the time but usually not this big a drop for this high-end of a system. Sorry just had to vent a little bit.

Am I the only one that feels a little bit of "sour grapes" about the new mini-system and the related price reductions of the 1080p players and storage disks? I just got my system 5 months ago and, if I understand correctly, it sounds like it would have cost me about 35% less if I bought it this year! First the stock market and now this...

I know this happens with technology products all the time but usually not this big a drop for this high-end of a system. Sorry just had to vent a little bit.

I think most owners are unconcerned about the changes (except perhaps the Player and Disk price changes coming in mid-March, especially if they bought recently.) Regardless of whether you purchased a 1U or 3U, the storage limitations of the new mini versus either of those servers is obvious. The mini is a wonderful new addition to the K line that allows someone to experience K at a more affordable price. The mini will not be for everyone. A collection exceeding a few hundred DVD's with plans for more is obviously better off with at least a 1U (but I'd suggest a 3U). Of course you can always add another mini, or Server in the future if your mini collection expands.

In the long run we all benefit from the reduced storage and player costs.

Jim

People who bought 2-3 years ago paid more than people who bought in the last year. I paid a 2500.00 lifetime fee for my system one year after I bought it, shortly thereafter they dropped that fee. I was unhappy too but it happens. K however is a great company, maybe they will offer a owner loyalty discount on blu ray players when they come out for owners based on when they purchased there original equipment. One thing is certain adding additional owners will allow K to continue to support new and current users with great service and continue to offer the best product in its class. Just my opinion! and venting never hurts!

License Fees

Hi,

I just signed a contract to buy a system yesterday, and my dealer didn't say anything about license fees??

Thanks, Steven

Back