• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Home System

guardian

Hello Everyone,
I am interested in a new K system for my home. I have a few questions to make sure I get it set up properly.

1) If i understand right, I need to purchase a K Server, K DVD Player, K Music Player, K wireless remote and a K Speed Reader... for it to function in 1 room only, Is that correct?

2) Do I need to purchase an ongoing service contract to get access to movies, updates and patches as needed?

3) What are the MSRP range for each of these items?

4) Does that cost normally include installation?

5) Who does the install?

6) Can this system integrate with my current Denon 5805 A/V Rec?

I appreciate your help and hopefully others can benefit from the answers on these issues so they can start the purchase process for the K system as well.

Andrew

Hi Guardian, welcome to the forum!

Here are a few responses to your questions:

1) If i understand right, I need to purchase a K Server, K DVD Player, K Music Player, K wireless remote and a K Speed Reader... for it to function in 1 room only, Is that correct?
Not really. You need a K Server (1U or 3U), and a single K 1080p player which will function as your movie player, music player, and DVD/CD reader. You don't need a K wireless control (since there isn't one!), you can use any good universal remote. You certainly don't need an expensive Speed Reader... you can load your movies one at a time in your Movie Player. If you have a very large collection, consider having your dealer load your movies and music or renting a Speed Reader. (some are available here on the forum from some dealers)

2) Do I need to purchase an ongoing service contract to get access to movies, updates and patches as needed?
I believe the price of your server will come with licenses for the movie service and (optionally) music service. Kaleidescape has changed their policy on licenses several times, and I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know the current situation, but I believe you need to renew your licenses each year. One of our dealer members here will probably chime in with accurate info.

3) What are the MSRP range for each of these items?
One of our dealers here may be able to respond. I don't know current pricing.

4) Does that cost normally include installation?
Depends on your dealer... most will charge separately for installation.

5) Who does the install?
Probably your Kaleidescape dealer, but if you're technically handy with A/V gear and home networking, you may be able to do it yourself.

6) Can this system integrate with my current Denon 5805 A/V Rec?
I don't know that particular model, but I'm guessing the answer is yes. Ask your dealer for more information.

Hope that's helpful... others here may be able to chime in with more info.

--josh

Hi, and Welcome to the forum as well.

Josh has it right, but I'll add the following:

Minimum Systems are either:

1. A 3U Server with (3) 1TB disks and (1) KPlayer 6000 (1080p Player). Minimum of 3 disks is required because two are used by the system (KRAID and Hot swap back up disk), and the third is for actual storage (approx. 150 movies). MSRP is $24,000

or

2. A 1U Server with (2) 1TB disks and (1) KPlayer 6000. One disk is KRAID and the other is storage (as above). There is no hot swap drive in a 1U. MSRP is $14,280

The systems come with BOTH the Movie License and Music License and these are now lifetime subscriptions. Actual cost varies based on the number of disks you are adding, additional warranty and any DVD collections you might add.

Installation is normally a separate charge with most dealers and depends on many factors, (basically complexity of install and any additional equipment that might be needed.) Josh is correct that most people with a reasonable amount of networking knowledge can handle the install. To give you an idea, we have have charged as much as $1,600 (several long cable runs and additional equipment) and as little as "free" (very simple installs). Frankly, most have been simple installations.

I do not believe your Receiver can pass 1080p, but I'd have to check to be sure. It can certainly handle the normal DD and DTS audio by the normal digital hook-ups. The newer Denon's can pass 1080p.

Happy to answer any additional questions. (I've also sent you a PM)

Jim

Hi,
Welcome to the World of Kaleidescape.
What the previous post have said are correct. The only thing I will add to is install. Like Jim said, install can vary from Free to $$. We have yet to charge for installation. All of our installs have been free.

Also, you will want to ask about DVD loading some dealers will charge for bulk loading if you do not want to load your DVD's yourself. Again, we will bulk load a clients system for free so you may want to ask your dealer if they have any discounts on bulk loading your collection.

Good point on the bulk loading. I think most dealers are loading reasonable sized collections for free these days, we do as well.

Jim

Well the next thing to do is to find a dealer in my area, so I can start the negotiations for the best buy.. Do you all know any reputable, Knowledgable,dealers in South Louisiana?

Also I have at least 300 DVDs and 500 Cds and ofcourse 50 Blu ray disc to load will the 3T be enough space?

Well the next thing to do is to find a dealer in my area, so I can start the negotiations for the best buy.. Do you all know any reputable, Knowledgable,dealers in South Louisiana?

Also I have at least 300 DVDs and 500 Cds and ofcourse 50 Blu ray disc to load will the 3T be enough space?

You will not be able to load the BR discs as Kaleidescape does not support BR as of yet. BR support is slated for LATE 2009.

As far as 3TB being enough, no it's not. For 300 DVD's and 500 CD's I would say you would need the 3U server with 6 1TB Drives. 5 for data and 1 for hot swap. On our 1U demo server we have 4 1TB drives in it with 270 DVD's and 113 CD's and we are 94% full. Room for approx. 30 more movies or about 300 CD's.

As far as dealers go, you can look for one in your area on the kaleidescape site.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
As James indicated, the Kaleidescape site has a dealer search function that will provide the names of dealers in your area. You might also ask for references.

Jim

My own experience is to get the larger server if you can afford it. You will appreciate the upgradability. Other than that Ill just say welcome to the family :) I think you will really enjoy the product- it does everything its supposed to do and in a way that makes using it a joy.

I agree with Jerry. It doesn't take long to fill a few TB's once the collecting addiction starts.:D

Jim

Yes and then if you have the smaller server and fill it up- thats it- you have to buy another server. I think the 1U only makes sense if you know you will keep a small collection and thats it.

Yes and then if you have the smaller server and fill it up- thats it- you have to buy another server. I think the 1U only makes sense if you know you will keep a small collection and thats it.

Although remember that servers can be grouped together to form one big server so if your budget only allows for a 1U server now you don't have to retire that server when/if you decide to get a new server.

True. Its just that if you do 1 1U and then need to get a second 1U within short order, its economically better to buy 1 3U.

Back