• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New DV700 (Vault) Owner with some questions

Nabs17

Just received my DV700 yesterday and have it installed and connected to my K system which is an Alto front-end. So I played around with it lastnight and have a few questions for anyone who owns one or who owns the M-class Vault as I think they behave the same with exception of the M class being a player as well.

1) How do you turn it on/off? It does not ship with a remote so since I've installed it it's been powered on. It doesn't respond to remote commands from what came with the Alto.
2) Why is there a IR window on the front? Again, it doesn't ship with a remote and playing movies can be done with the K app so what is the purpose of it?
3) Anyone have sluggish play or have the movies freeze? I had this lastnight...today seemed fine. Now I know the movie is sent from the Vault to the Alto over the network....maybe I had some congestion but wondering if anyone has experienced this.
4) How long does it take before the movie plays? I've timed it and it's on average 45 seconds. What have others experienced?

I'm sure I'll have more as I get more familiar but these are the questions I have now.

Thanks,

1) It doesn't really have an on/off state. To be able to be responsive to the Alto, it needs to be awake and on the network. Unlike the Alto, which spins down its hard drive when not in use, there's really nothing in the DV700 that can be powered down without taking it off the network.

2) The DV700 and the M700 share common front plastics. The "window" on the DV700 is actually a blank -- there's no IR receiver behind it.

3) I assume that both the Alto and the DV700 are connected to the network with Ethernet? You shouldn't see sluggishness or freezes. It is possible for a scratched or dirty disc to produce playback problems.

4) It depends upon a number of factors. If the optical drive is empty, it should take on the order of 20-25 seconds to load and play a DVD. Blu-ray discs take a bit longer to begin playing due to the nature of how the data is stored and encrypted and the setup time for the Blu-ray playback engine. (This is true even with imported content.) If there is a disc in the optical drive, then obviously it has to be unloaded first before the next movie can play. 45 seconds sounds completely within a normal range, especially if you were trying several movies in sequence.

No, as a member of the Encore product family, Alto does not import movies from disc. Movies in the DV700 are cataloged (added to the onscreen library), and are played on demand by loading the optical disc automatically into the Disc Server's optical drive and sending the bits over the network to the player. We made a video to demonstrate this. Have a look!

Back