• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New C1 owner, have a few questions

ccbulldog

Hi Guys,
I have a new cinema one and have a few questions:
1) is there a way to create your own folders? Like music videos, adult movies, home movies, etc.
2) and if so can you pass code a folder?
3) what is a good receiver to pair with the cinema one. I'm in the market for a new one.
4) is there a way to back up entire contents on to a external drive in case the hard drive goes bad?
5) do you think the blue ray restriction will ever be lifted? and if it is will Kaleidescape do a software update to allow blue ray playback without inserting disk?

I would appreciate any info on these questions. Thanks. Charles

Charles,
First of all, welcome to the Kaleidescape owners' forum, and to ownership of what is, in my opinion, one of the quintessential home entertainment devices on the planet.

1.) I think you may want to create some Collections. You can use any of the names you have listed and more to describe the contents or the theme of a given collection. Multiple collections may contain the same title. For example, Mr. and Mrs. Smith may be in a Collection called "Brangelina" and one called "Action".

2.) You can set viewing limits with a pass code. Anyone who doesn't have the code can not view things at or above a certain rating. Not sure about locking a Collection.

3.) I think overall that the Yamaha AVENTAGE lineup offers a reliable, high-performance package. I don't know what, if any, control system you have, but the AVENTAGE receivers offer control via IR, RS-232 and TCP/IP, and have some great features for a customer or custom installer to use, including Scenes. If you pursue them, and get the RX-A2040 or RX-A3040, it is no more than a firmware update away from Dolby Atmos capability. Of course, your Kaleidescape can already provide the Dolby Atmos audio via HDMI, so you're ready to go as soon as you load some Atmos content, like The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1, for example. I have just received my RX-A3040, which replaced an older Anthem Statement D1, for the purpose of having Atmos in my demo theater.

4.) You cannot back up the contents of the built-in drive if you've imported the movies from DVD locally. I don't know if you bought a grandfathered unit or not, so importing DVDs may not apply to you. If you are a convert to the Kaleidescape Store, which I hope you are, then all the content on your account will be stored for you in "The Cloud", so in the event of a catastrophic failure, you can just re-download the content. Honestly, that's the smart play at this point, in my humble opinion.

5.) I do not think the Blu-ray Disk Association will ever lift the restriction. Again, if your C1 isn't a grandfathered unit, it's a moot point for you, unfortunately. Also, in this case, the Kaleidescape Store (and Ultraviolet via Vudu or Flixster, etc.) is your friend.

It is a bit of a new paradigm, buying movies from a remote server instead of physical discs, and keeping your backup there, but I feel certain about one thing: K's server ain't goin' down anytime soon, so I would much rather have the backup of my collection stored there than just about anywhere else on the planet.

Just a short clarification on Question #5. Grandfathered, or not, has no affect on Blu-ray requirements for importing/playback. Blu-ray was not a part of the DVD-CCA lawsuit, nor settlement. All of us, new Servers and Grandfathered Servers, all have the same requirement regarding BR Playback, and that requires the physical disc to be present during playback (assuming the original BR was imported to the Server from a physical disc and not downloaded from the K Store). For those importing to the Server from a physical disc, most have elected to add a KVAULT (DV700 or M700) to their system meet the "disc present..." requirement.

As noted above, best to download BR from the K Store when that option exists, as for obvious reasons the physical disc requirement is avoided.:)

Jim

My new P system is being installed this Friday and I was curious reference the cloud/digital statement made above. If I own a Blue ray disk with digital rights and I use the code will that movie be held in the cloud or will it take up hard drive space? I was always of the belief that it would take up hard drive space with the only real benefit being it would no longer have to be maintained in my vault.

Thanks HiFi Guy for your answers to my questions. I meant to say collections. So I'm glad to know I can make my own. I'm now assigning everything I don't want just everyone to see as NC-17 and setting the pass code. This works great as they don't even show up in collections list either. Yes I was already thinking about the Adventage line. So thanks for that advice. I do have one more question, when playing music CDs is the sound going to be better thru HDMI or the red/white RCA cables or does it matter?

My new P system is being installed this Friday and I was curious reference the cloud/digital statement made above. If I own a Blue ray disk with digital rights and I use the code will that movie be held in the cloud or will it take up hard drive space? I was always of the belief that it would take up hard drive space with the only real benefit being it would no longer have to be maintained in my vault.

Unless you "upgrade" to the download version FROM K's STORE, it doesn't matter that the disk has digital rights. You still have to have it in your vault and it also still takes up hard drive space. The vault is just there to satisfy the "you must own the disk" requirement, but K needs it on the hard drive for its features to really work (pause and resume in any room, play in multiple rooms at the same time but at different places in the movie, etc). The "digital rights" part simply gives you access to a download/streaming version via Flixster or whatever.

Now, once you "upgrade" to the download version from K, you still have your digital rights version via Flixster, but now you can remove your disk from your vault. But it's still on your hard drive as well. The only thing the "cloud" does for you in this case is lets you download it for life should you somehow lose your data on your server.

--Donnie

Thanks HiFi Guy for your answers to my questions. I meant to say collections. So I'm glad to know I can make my own. I'm now assigning everything I don't want just everyone to see as NC-17 and setting the pass code. This works great as they don't even show up in collections list either. Yes I was already thinking about the Adventage line. So thanks for that advice. I do have one more question, when playing music CDs is the sound going to be better thru HDMI or the red/white RCA cables or does it matter?

HDMI will give you digital audio, the RCA cables analog. So in most every case, yes, HDMI would be higher quality assuming you have any reasonable quality processor/receiver you're plugging it into.

--Donnie

Ben,
It's all about perspective, I guess, but I think K's solution is the best of all worlds. If you have hundreds of Blu-rays, with or without UV copies, and want to be able to play them at will, you can spend $4-5000 and get a vault. If, like me, you want to rely on Ultraviolet content, the K Store is excellent, and will become more so when additional studios come on line. Do you know how many Blu-ray quality movies you can buy from Vudu/Flixster for $4-5000? A bunch. About as many as you can fit in a single vault, as a matter of fact, even at full price.

I have been really managing my Vudu library, and making strategic moves that will give me lots of newly-available stuff when a new studio gets here. I would have to double my current storage space to put all the movies I have digital copies of on my K server. I don't mind, for the time being, deleting some stuff, and then downloading new stuff. Also, I know that anytime I want to change my locally held content options, the movies are in the K cloud, waiting for me. So I see it as having a locally stored, continuously variable subset of my whole library that I can change at any time. As I am able to expand storage, more and more of it will be available locally.

Back