• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Alto Setup

All,
I'm a long-time admirer of Kaleidescape products/systems and have finally taken the plunge into ownership! I've purcahse a 4TB Alto along with a DV700 Disc Vault. I haven't received all the pieces yet, so I'm just trying to learn some of the basics of set-up and configuration. The first (and hopefully most basic) question I have is how to best connect the Alto to wifi? I understand that wife is not built in and that the systems originally shipped with a pre-configured USB dongle, but the unit I purchased was not sold with one. Am I best served to try and locate/buy one or can I configure any dongle to be suitable? Further, I recognize that I could connect via ethernet connection for greater reliability and speed, but I don't have any way to direct connect from my AV Cabinet. Perhaps I could utilize a powerline adapter? Sorry for the newbie questions, but any guidance is greatly appreciated.

You can't use the Alto's USB Wifi adapter with the DV700. The Alto and DV700 must have a wired connection between them.

A possible workaround would be to connect the Alto, DV700, and a wireless bridge to an ethernet switch. Then, the wireless bridge connects via wifi to your router.

This would utilize the wireless bridge for store downloads, meta data, updates, etc., but the DV700 and Alto would still have a wired connection between them to allow for Blu-ray playback from the vault.

Baltz...thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I think I phrased the original question poorly and therefore your response didn't address my primary concern. My question is surrounding the Alto itself and the best way to connect it to wifi. More concisely..."It is possible to connect the Alto to wifi without the kscape-provided usb wife dongle?" Thanks again.

You will need to use a wireless bridge and a switch like he said. The Alto can either use the dongle or the network port. If you had the dongle, the dv700 would not be able to connect. The dv700 requires network as well.

You basically need to wirelessly extend Ethernet to the closet then hook that to a switch connecting you Alto and dv700.

I would recommend changing to a mesh style wireless system that has Ethernet ports on the remote extenders. (Google WiFi, Eero, etc)

Kevin D.

More concisely..."It is possible to connect the Alto to wifi without the kscape-provided usb wife dongle?" Thanks again.

The answer to that question is "maybe". The Wi-Fi dongle supplied with the Alto is an Abocom WU5508 (which uses a Realtek RTL8192CU chipset). If you buy a Wi-Fi dongle with that same chipset, there's a better than average chance that it will work with no issues. Other Wi-Fi dongles might work but may experience issues.

Croptop is correct, you could use a USB wifi adapter with the same chipset, and it would most likely work.

However, this will not get you what you want. If you use a USB wifi adapter with the Alto, you cannot link it with a DV700.

I agree with Kevin D that something like Eero would be your best option. Just make sure that the Alto and DV700 are on the same wired section and the connection between them isn't crossing a wireless link.

Best solution I believe would be a MOCA converter. They seem to have the best data rates and consistency when trying to achieve low latency, constant data streams. Other option would be a high quality WIFI bridge.

Thanks for all the help!

All,
Thanks for all the help...up and running flawlessly! Since I already utilize the Google mesh wifi, I decided to add another access point in my a/v cabinet and link the Alto and the DV700 up in this fashion. I thought the DV700 was bad at first because it wouldn't accept any discs, but once I found the installation instructions on-line and realized I had to "link" the systems on the same network it all synced up perfectly. I would imagine a 1 RU Strato S would be forthcoming in the not too distant future!

Back