• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Alto Owner Questions

audioguy123

New Alto owner here and have some questions.

I. Non-Alto Supported Movies: I have an Alto (with 6TB) and have discovered that I did inadequate research prior to making that decision. I probably would not have gone this direction had I known in advance that there are bunches of movies that I own the K does not currently support. But I do own it so I now need to make a decision on how to handle these unsupported movies.

Option 1: When I want to watch or re-watch a film that K can not support, I go into the media room, select if from the shelf and stick it in the Alto. While “cost effective”, this approach significantly reduces the reason I chose to go with a Kaleidescape solution - the User Interface AND having all movies I ever expect to watch (or watch again) immediately and automatically available. If this was only a very occasional occurrence, it would not be a big deal, but probably 25% of the movies I own (about 700 at this date) are not supported.

Option 2: Buy the Disc Vault but I so struggle with the price on this component. It is 10 times what I paid for a similar product many years ago — A Stand alone CD player equivalent product that could play any of the 300 discs in it. Price notwithstanding, this certainly provides the most seamless solution.

Option 3: Buy a pre-built media server for storage of just the Alto non-supported movies. This would cost much less than Option 2, and in theory, be more automated than Option 1. BUT, my wife needs to be able to run our theater and switching from the Control4 remote to search the Alto but then be required to pick up an iPad, for a non-Alto stored movie, then start up the Media Server Application, search for the movie that is not on the Alto and then start the movie AND be required to pause, stop and start the movie on the iPad would probably not please her. Plus, pausing a movie on the Alto with Control4 brings up the lights, etc and that would not happen if using a separate system. (She loves technology when it works but HATES it when it doesn't or she thinks it’s too complicated).

Option 4: Sell the Alto and use a Media Server for all films. I would really take it in the shorts on the resale and would hate to give up the K Interface opportunity. I would also give up the ability to at a reasonable price, upgrade some of my DVD’s to Blu Ray quality.

As I type this, I just figured out that I need to eliminate Option 3. Much too clumsy for my wife - just too many moving parts.

Any comments or suggestions related to this would be most welcome.

II. Cataloging with the Disc Vault: I have read that when the Vault is installed, it will catalog all of the movies placed in it. However, by the time I would get a Disc Vault installed, I will have already cataloged every movie I own. So, will the K-System match up the Discs I have already cataloged with the Discs in the Disc Vault or will it double count them and force me to go back and delete hundreds of titles.

Thanks

I will let others comment on the questions in section I, since those are really opinion questions.

In answer to your cataloging question: if you were to catalog a disc with the Alto and then add a Disc Server(*) and insert that same disc, the system will recognize that you've already cataloged that disc, and will merely make note of the fact that it's now available for hands-free playback from the Disc Server, rather than your having to insert it to play. It won't create a second entry.

(*) On the Encore line, the DV700 is called a Disc Server, rather than a Disc Vault, reflecting the different usage pattern.

What % are the movies not currently in the store DVD's?

If it's a high percent, consider getting a 2nd gen Cinema one. You can pick one up a lot cheaper then a vault and run it as a separate system for your DVD's for now. In a software update soon you'll be able to merge them into one system.

Also I know 'more studios are coming' gets a little old the longer it takes, but I would imagine everything aside from smaller studios and independent releases will be supported by the end of the year.

Kevin D.

I will let others comment on the questions in section I, since those are really opinion questions.

In answer to your cataloging question: if you were to catalog a disc with the Alto and then add a Disc Server(*) and insert that same disc, the system will recognize that you've already cataloged that disc, and will merely make note of the fact that it's now available for hands-free playback from the Disc Server, rather than your having to insert it to play. It won't create a second entry.

(*) On the Encore line, the DV700 is called a Disc Server, rather than a Disc Vault, reflecting the different usage pattern.

Thanks. I really appreciate your response (and I like the answer !)

I have an Alto plus two Disc Vaults. The system works flawlessly, and I heartedly recommend this approach for those of us who have large collections of physical Blu-ray Discs.

I have an Alto plus two Disc Vaults. The system works flawlessly, and I heartedly recommend this approach for those of us who have large collections of physical Blu-ray Discs.

Do you place your regular DVD's in the vaults as well?

Option 4 might be the best solution. I did it for years and you'd even get browsing options that provide an aesthetically similar navigation to the kscape; however, there's no telling how UHD discs will work with such a setup. If you stick with Kscape, you'd eventially upgrade your Alto to a Strato (and you WILL upgrade). Worth some research! Agree...the disc Server is morbidly expensive for what it is. Personally, I've got the Strato and Tera server in my sights. Was holding off on the introduction of a built in UHD drive, but not sure when that's due...

Option 4 might be the best solution. I did it for years and you'd even get browsing options that provide an aesthetically similar navigation to the kscape; however, there's no telling how UHD discs will work with such a setup. If you stick with Kscape, you'd eventially upgrade your Alto to a Strato (and you WILL upgrade). Worth some research! Agree...the disc Server is morbidly expensive for what it is. Personally, I've got the Strato and Tera server in my sights. Was holding off on the introduction of a built in UHD drive, but not sure when that's due...

As I previously noted, the Alto is a teaser piece. If I want to use the K products as I initially envisioned [fully automated and 100% disc-less] , I will need at least 1 Disc Server, and a Strato and and Terra server ... and we are near $20,000 .. all for a fancy interface and a disc-less way to play movies. If I am only partially disc-less, why bother at all?

The issue I have with the PC/server approach is loading 700 movies AND making sure whatever I invest in will support 4k/UHD. And most of the companies I have found who build these products are very small and may not be around to support me if I need it. [Or .... the movie industry will put them out of business].

I must confess that this addition to my system brings less real value [as I determine value. It doesn't improve the sound or the picture] to me than any other I have made. On the slick scale, however, it is a grand slam home-run. I am considering selling it and re-installing my Oppo and forget the whole thing. I have somehow managed to have a high end home theater for 25 years and never needed an automated way to pick, load and watch movies. Maybe I can survive another few.

...........Was holding off on the introduction of a built in UHD drive, but not sure when that's due...

Might be waiting awhile, these drives are not currently available in the open market. This might be because of the security requirements for 4K, but not sure.

Jim

Back