• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: NEW 5U to 3U Upgrade Program

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Kaleidescape has announced a new program that allows 5U owners to upgrade their 5U Server(s) to the 3U Server(s). The general details are as follows:

1. You agree to return your 5U Server, including all storage disks.
2. You purchase a new 3U Server.

Kaleidescape will install, free of charge, all of the necessary disk storage space to allow you to transfer your 5U content to the 3U.

For example: if your 5U has 6.5 TB of actual disk storage capacity, K will install a total of 7 1TB disks (7TB of storage), AND 2 additional 1 TB disks needed for the RAID and Hot Spare (Total of 9 1TB disks) free of charge.

Your dealer can provide all of the details, including terms and conditions.

There is also a new beta replication process that will allow owner's, once they agree to the terms of the beta use, to download (replicate) the content of their 5U to the 3U. This will negate having to send the units to K and pay the fees to have the content transferred (of course that is still an option). Again, your dealer can provide more details. This upgrade program is scheduled to expire at the end of June 2009.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a very intriguing program and a very good indication of Kaleidescape's ongoing support of its customers. In addition to what Jim mentioned, it should be noted that of course you get a brand new warranty, so if your 5U is coming off warranty, or if any of the discs are, you should factor the cost of warranty extension (or the risk in going without) into your decision also.

For some users, this will be a good deal... especially those with older 5Us and smaller discs. For others, it may not be worth it... depending on what you could otherwise sell your 5U for. Basically it comes down to whether or not you get enough of these free 1TB discs from Kaleidescape as part of the upgrade, plus the value to you of new warranties, versus the cash you could have received for selling your 5U on the private market.

Will be very interesting to hear what owners (and dealers) think...

I'm certainly intrigued... (but I wish they were announcing larger disk cartridges today also! no such luck!)

--josh

Does anyone know what the cost of this is? I am interested as I think the 3U is just a better design and I have a loaded up 5U which represents a substantial investment. If the upgrade cost is reasonable I would seriously consider it. Id get a drop more storage space and newer hardware. What is reasonable? I'm not sure. Id like to hear what they are asking first.

My understanding is that there's no "extra" cost for the upgrade. You buy yourself a new EMPTY 3U chassis from a dealer... presumably at MSRP (I don't know what the price is of an empty 3U since it's usually sold with at least some drives, so check with your dealer.) Then Kaleidescape gives you the equivalent amount of storage that you have in your 5U for free, in the form of 1TB disk cartridges for your new server. Then you send back your 5U when you're done porting over your movie collection.

So the "cost" is the price of a new 3U plus the value of your returned 5U.

Josh is correct. The cost to upgrade is the cost of buying an empty 3U Server. Normally, you must also buy at least 3 disks for the 3U (RAID, Hot Spare, and one storage). The upgrade will provide the RAID, Hot Spare, and whatever number of disks is required to duplicate the storage capacity of the 5U being upgraded (rounded up). Owner's should contact their dealers to obtain the cost of an empty 3U.

When trying to determine the "actual cost" to you for the upgrade, consider also that you are acquiring a new Server and individual disk warranties that have the standard two year warranty included, as well as the value of being able to store more content because of the larger disk capacity (and likely even larger capacity going forward). There is also the additional safety and convenience of the "hot spare," and some speed improvements over some of the early 5U Servers.

Jim

Last edited:
MSRP cost?

OK, could someone post MRSP of an empty 3U server?

Also anyone know when they'll have 1.5TB disks available?

As far as replication goes - that presumably means that you have both your old 5U and new 3U server on the same network, and the beta program transfers the content between the servers? And then you return the 5U server to K.

Just out of curiosity, what can they possibily do with the old 5U hardware and disks? Won't they just scrap it?

Last edited:
One other important thing I just learned. You can transfer any unexpired portions of extended warranties you have purchased for your 5U or disk cartridges to your new 3U and new cartridges! Nice.

--josh

MSRP is $15,995 (Empty 3U)

Yes, you will have both Servers at the same time if you are transferring the content yourself (alternatively, the dealer may do the transfer, or you could send it to K (with the added fee I mentioned).

You return the 5U to K when transfer is complete (your dealer will work out the exact details regarding payment, or any arrangements you make with your dealer (they could require you pay for the disks then issue a credit once K verifies 5U has been returned (dealer decides).

There will likely be larger drives in the future (perhaps near future), but there have been no announcements from K.

Not sure what they do with the 5U.

Also, Josh is correct, they decided to add whatever time is remaining on your disk warranty to the new 1TB's in your new 3U.

Jim

OK, could someone post MRSP of an empty 3U server?

Also anyone know when they'll have 1.5TB disks available?

As far as replication goes - that presumably means that you have both your old 5U and new 3U server on the same network, and the beta program transfers the content between the servers? And then you return the 5U server to K.

Just out of curiosity, what can they possibily do with the old 5U hardware and disks? Won't they just scrap it?

Do you get a credit for the 5U server?
All the details are posted... there's not really a credit for the 5U per se. Instead, they give you as many discs as you need to match your old storage, plus the hot spare, for "free"... which can be many thousands of dollars. And new warranties.

They could have given you "credit" for the 5U, then charged you for the new 1TB discs you need, but they chose to do it this way instead.

I understand, so the upgrade is basically a 16k charge. I like the concept but I have to say this is a bit pricy. I am not completely closed off to it but its not in "no brainer" territory.

Back