• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

FOR SALE: New 1U server DVD Grandfathered 4X4tb

Status
Not open for further replies.

carajo

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I have a brand new 1U grandfathered in for DVD's. Includes 4X 4tb drives
Please send PM for info

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the difference between 1U and 3U and are they both compatible with each other? I assume it is just hard drive sizes?

The 3U can hold 14 drives, 12 for data, one for RAID and one hot spare. W/4TB drives, max capacity is 48TB.

The 1U server can hold 4 drives, 3 for data, one for RAID, no hot spare. W/4TB drives, max capacity is 12TB.

Both are part of the premier line and are compatible with each other.

And to further explain, the reason they are called 1U and 3U is because of rack space. When mounting equipment in telecom and AV style equipment racks, how "tall" your equipment is is measured in "U". I'm too lazy to look up exact specs, but each "U" is a little over an inch in height. So a 1U server is actually the same thickness as the players are. And a 3U is three times that tall.

K currently still sell a 1U and a 3U server and those have always been the same basic configuration as Mr. Poindexter describes. There's also an older 5U server that's now discontinued. I don't remember what it held in terms of drives, but I think it was limited to 750GB drives and has been discontinued long enough I don't think anyone recommends buying one these days for any purpose.

And you don't really HAVE to mount the servers in a rack, but many folks do, so that's how people have come to know them. But between the 1U and the 3U, at the end of the day it's all about disk space. There's no other functional difference I know of.

--Donnie

And to further explain, the reason they are called 1U and 3U is because of rack space. When mounting equipment in telecom and AV style equipment racks, how "tall" your equipment is is measured in "U". I'm too lazy to look up exact specs, but each "U" is a little over an inch in height. So a 1U server is actually the same thickness as the players are. And a 3U is three times that tall.

K currently still sell a 1U and a 3U server and those have always been the same basic configuration as Mr. Poindexter describes. There's also an older 5U server that's now discontinued. I don't remember what it held in terms of drives, but I think it was limited to 750GB drives and has been discontinued long enough I don't think anyone recommends buying one these days for any purpose.

And you don't really HAVE to mount the servers in a rack, but many folks do, so that's how people have come to know them. But between the 1U and the 3U, at the end of the day it's all about disk space. There's no other functional difference I know of.

--Donnie

The 5U servers came in two versions. They both require at least two drives to function, and will accept up to 12 drives. Those drives can be up to 1TB each. The max net storage is 11TB, because each server uses one (1) drive for RAID/parity. In that way, they are more like the 1U than the 3U. The drives in the 5U are physically incompatible with those for the 1U/3U servers.

The first iteration of the 5U server was the KSERVER-2000, which can only stream to one HD player at a time. The updated model, called the KSERVER-2500, can stream to multiple (I think five?) HD players at once.

If I add this server to my current 1U 4x4 how does the system know to burn DVDs to this hard drive vs. forcing me to keep them in the vault in my first non grandfathered server.

Ben,
First of all, if you currently have a non-grandfathered server and have a chance to buy a grandfathered 1U, jump on it. Then you can add other hardware and attach it to the grandfathered server, thus making all of it part of a grandfathered system. You can't break it up and sell the secondary servers as grandfathered later, but so what.

Second, as far as forcing you to keep discs in the Vault, that's not going to change for any Blu-ray disc you don't have a digital copy of via Ultraviolet/Vudu/Flixster or purchased from the K Store. The more of that you do, the sooner you can get rid of the Vault.

Just to clarify what I think you are asking, since it seems like maybe you're thinking part of your hardware would be grandfathered and part of it wouldn't be. If you bought this 4x4TB 1U grandfathered server, your whole system could convert to grandfathered, so all your DVD movies can then be stored on the server, and you could add new ones. There would be no differentiation between the "grandfathered" storage and the "non-grandfathered" storage, because both servers would act as one seamless whole. The Blu-rays that aren't in your K Store account would still have to be stored in the Vault, because no K system can copy physical Blu-rays and play them from a server unless there is verifiably a physical disc present.

Last edited:
Thanks HiFi. But I'm still confused how the overall system will know that one server is grandfathered and the other is not. Basically if I burn a DVD I want it to burn to the grandfathered server which will allow me to remove it afterwards vs my non grandfathered server that requires the DVD stay in the vault.

I'm confused a little by this statement.

"Second, as far as forcing you to keep discs in the Vault, that's not going to change for any Blu-ray disc you don't have a digital copy of via Ultraviolet/Vudu/Flixster or purchased from the K Store. The more of that you do, the sooner you can get rid of the Vault.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message"

An earlier post indicated that digital rights outside of the K store will still require my blu ray disc to be in the vault. But your statement makes me believe that is not the case. So are you saying if I own a digital copy from any of those vendors I will be able to remove the blu ray? Crossing fingers this is true. Ha!

I edited my previous post, but I'll reiterate here for you. If you buy a grandfathered server, and incorporate it into a system with a non-grandfathered server, the whole system can become grandfathered, so ALL the storage will suddenly be available to record physical DVDs. They are no longer seen by K as two separate units. They are one 24TB (assuming 2 x 4x4TB chassis) server system at that point.

Blu-rays and digital rights:
If you have a Blu-ray in your Vault, and there is not a corresponding copy of that title in the K Store, you will need to keep that disc in the Vault.

If you have a Blu-ray in your Vault, and there IS a corresponding copy of that title in the K Store, but you have not yet purchased digital rights/Ultraviolet copy, then you will need to keep that disc in the Vault.

If you have a Blu-ray in your Vault, and there IS a corresponding copy of that title in the K Store, and you HAVE purchased digital rights/Ultraviolet copy for that title, then you may remove that disc from your Vault forever.

Last edited:
You da man, HiFi. Thank you for the explanation. One last question on the subject. If I already own the digital rights (via a blue ray combo set), I don't have to buy from K, K just has to have it within their store?

Thank you. Just doing what I can to contribute to this great resource.

If you already have a digital/Ultraviolet copy, which could mean you bought an HDX copy on Vudu, etc., then assuming that movie is in the K Store, you can download it for free to your server(s). You may do that for up to five server systems in your name. So you can have a copy on your yacht, your apartment in Monte Carlo, your beach house on the Italian Riviera, your tour bus, and your summer home in Aspen.

It works the other way, too. So if you buy a movie in Blu-ray quality on the K Store, you also automatically have HDX rights on Vudu or Flixster, too. It costs about the same either way most of the time, and my feeling is it's better to support K as much as possible, so as often as I can, I get my content from the K Store.

I have quite a few movies in Vudu HDX that aren't yet in the K Store, but as soon as the relevant studios are on board, I will instantly be allowed to download those movies to my server as well, free of charge, assuming I have the space to accept them.

This 1U has been sold. Thread closed.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back