• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Network Flattened

Joe

Yesterday, I decided to purchase an HDR movie. After making the purchase I went about the rest of my day working online. At some point later in the day, I noticed I couldn't hit any websites. I experienced complete internet inaccessibility. After starting to troubleshoot the issue, the issue magically resolved itself, so I wrote it off as a fluke.

Today I decided to purchase Black Widow. Maybe 20-30 minutes after making the purchase, then same thing happened. This time it went on for over a half hour. I logged into my router (a Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite) and saw it's CPU was solid at 100% utilization. After viewing the traffic analysis, I found out the culprit was my paired Premier Kaleidescape 1U+ servers. According to the router the server(s) were sending and receiving enough data to completely overwhelm the router's CPU. I powered the servers down from the front panel yet the problem persisted. After unplugging the servers, the problem vanished. The servers remain powered down.

I've had KScapes for a long, long time and have never seen anything like this before. It seems, at least tangentially, to be related to the downloads. My Terra Server is still powered on.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks,
Joe

Maybe try dialing down the maximum download speed from the 'Click here to set the maximum download speed.' link on the main page:
1628642763342.png
You can set the download speed from the download page in the store as well.

You can also “Pause” a download to verify that it is the download tying up the bandwidth. On my 1U+ I get download speeds of ~150Mbps. When I had 500Mbps ISP service I would have problems with the downloads to the Terra server. Now that I have 1Gbps it is no longer an issue.

John

Not sure about your brand of router but the better ones can do QoS (quality-of-service) / traffic-shaping.

Maybe try dialing down the maximum download speed from the 'Click here to set the maximum download speed.' link on the main page:
View attachment 2175
I had to do this as well as my ISP maxes out at 100 Mbps, sadly. You can also create a schedule, mine downloads between 1AM and 7AM, though at my speeds that means I only get about 2 BD downloaded a night to my 3u server. Odd though that you are just now experiencing this.

Yesterday, I decided to purchase an HDR movie. After making the purchase I went about the rest of my day working online. At some point later in the day, I noticed I couldn't hit any websites. I experienced complete internet inaccessibility. After starting to troubleshoot the issue, the issue magically resolved itself, so I wrote it off as a fluke.

Today I decided to purchase Black Widow. Maybe 20-30 minutes after making the purchase, then same thing happened. This time it went on for over a half hour. I logged into my router (a Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite) and saw it's CPU was solid at 100% utilization. After viewing the traffic analysis, I found out the culprit was my paired Premier Kaleidescape 1U+ servers. According to the router the server(s) were sending and receiving enough data to completely overwhelm the router's CPU. I powered the servers down from the front panel yet the problem persisted. After unplugging the servers, the problem vanished. The servers remain powered down.

I've had KScapes for a long, long time and have never seen anything like this before. It seems, at least tangentially, to be related to the downloads. My Terra Server is still powered on.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks,
Joe
I re-read this post and realized I had missed the part about downloading HDR. If you are downloading a 4K movie you should not see a lot of activity on your 1U+. Unless I am missing something, there is something abnormal going on and you should contact K support. They should be able to check the logs and see what is going on.

John

Last edited:
Setting the max download speed/schedule should clear-up that problem. However, if you haven't already, you should also go into the CLI and enable hardware offloading for everything that isn't nailed down.

Setting the max download speed/schedule should clear-up that problem. However, if you haven't already, you should also go into the CLI and enable hardware offloading for everything that isn't nailed down.
What does that mean "go into the CLI and enable hardware offloading for everything that isn't nailed down."?

Starting on January 12th, my download speeds (for HDR movies) has gone from 10 to 15 minutes per movie to 35 minutes to 55 minutes per download. I have terabit internet service. Is there something going on in the K store or do I need to contact my ISP provider?

You will need to get into the command line interface (either through the GUI or by telnet) and enable hardware offloading. There is an article at https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading for all the commands needed (looks like you will follow the Cavium route.)

I will say, from my experience, that if you are really using it as a router, you likely still won't hit the max 1G throughput. That's why I eventually swapped my ERPoe for something with more muscle to it.

View attachment 2175
Separate subject but what’s the point of 300mbps here? My 3U server barely hits 150mbps on my gigabit internet.

What does that mean "go into the CLI and enable hardware offloading for everything that isn't nailed down."?

Starting on January 12th, my download speeds (for HDR movies) has gone from 10 to 15 minutes per movie to 35 minutes to 55 minutes per download. I have terabit internet service. Is there something going on in the K store or do I need to contact my ISP provider?

Have you checked with K support? I had a 3U Premier server that was getting slow download speeds and checked with K support and they were able to check my system and pinpoint a particular drive that was getting a lot of errors that was slowing things down. I replaced the drive and am now back to normal.

Not saying that this particular issue is what you are seeing but that K support may be able to point you in the right direction.

John

Just ran a series of wired internet speed tests (Fast.com & M-Lab). All ranged from 800 to a tad over 1 gigabit, so my internet connection is clearly NOT the issue. That only leaves the K servers (or a problematic issue in my 12TB Server) - or that I just picked the wrong time of day for the last 5 or 6 downloads!!. If these much slower download times were randomly placed amongst all of the others, I would not be looking for a solution. But these all started about 1 month ago.

I will contact K support!

Just ran a series of wired internet speed tests (Fast.com & M-Lab). All ranged from 800 to a tad over 1 gigabit, so my internet connection is clearly NOT the issue. That only leaves the K servers (or a problematic issue in my 12TB Server) - or that I just picked the wrong time of day for the last 5 or 6 downloads!!. If these much slower download times were randomly placed amongst all of the others, I would not be looking for a solution. But these all started about 1 month ago.

I will contact K support!
It could be a recent config or physical change that precipitated this decrease. It is at least worth pondering.

I am not saying that this is causing your issue, but I had gone so far as to contact Spectrum to site-visit troubleshoot my internet connection because Ookla Speed tests on my ATV4K suddenly were much slower. About an hour before they were scheduled to arrive, I was looking at the ethernet cables coming out of my switch and realized that I had switched cables as a result of rearranging my devices.

After returning one of my known to be faster cables to the ATV4K, the speed test app immediately showed a return to normal (for me) speeds. Of course, I subsequently ordered and relaced the assorted cables so as to avoid any chance of this going forward.

I ran the speed tests into the same ethernet switch into which my K equipment is connected. I have removed the ethernet cables from the K equipment and re-inserted them, but now need to buy another movie and see what kind of speed I get.

I ran the speed tests into the same ethernet switch into which my K equipment is connected. I have removed the ethernet cables from the K equipment and re-inserted them, but now need to buy another movie and see what kind of speed I get.
You can always delete a movie and redownload it.

I'm in a similar boat. Gigabit connection, occasional downloads will be in the 150-250 range and I get a message that "Download has been throttled due to user activity." - But nothing going on in my network and speedtest says I'm getting 800+. Fortunately it's not happened when we've had a group waiting to see a movie.

...of course that's the Terra, which even at 200 is screaming compared to the Alto that seems to average about 80.

Back