• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Need help on 3 issues I came about while importing

eldosebabu

Hi

Three Issues:

1. Any way of doing video bookmarks myself? Any way to mark the beginning and end of a movie from the dvd source myself without sending the same disk to kaleidescape?

2. Some of my movies have two discs (movie+specialfeatures) which turn up on kaleidescape as two separate movies. Any way to join them together as a part of the same movie?

3. Some movies show up wrongly. Like for instance when I put in "Sweet Sweetbacks Baadaasss song" it shows as another movie. Any way to change the UPC code for the movie in the interface/web utility?

Any advice?

Hi, welcome to the forum! will try my best on your questions.
1. Any way of doing video bookmarks myself? Any way to mark the beginning and end of a movie from the dvd source myself without sending the same disk to kaleidescape?
Not technically... the real bookmarks that mark the true start and end of a movie and that can automatically trigger lighting, masking, etc. can only be done by the MovieGuide team at Kaleidescape. Depending on what you really need, however, you can accomplish some of what you may want with scripting and favorite scenes. For instance, if you're just trying to be able to watch a movie from a given start and end point that aren't working properly from the supplied metadata, you could make a favorite scene that has those start and end points. It won't be triggered by just a "play movie" command on the cover art or elsewhere in the UI, but it's pretty quick to find it in the movie's pop-up submenu. See the info on this elsewhere on the forum and at Kaleidescape.com.

Probably a topic for another thread, but scripting and favorite scenes are quite powerful and almost never really used by 99% of Kaleidescape owners. Here's an example. There are a few movies that are PG-13 or even R that I'd really like to watch with my 13-year old son, but they may have one or two scenes that I'm just not comfortable with him seeing. I've gone in and made a "Part 1" favorite scene for the movie that starts at the beginning and goes right up to the first inappropriate scene. I make a "part 2" favorite scene that starts just after then inappropriate scene, and goes until the next inappropriate scene, or the end of the movie. etc. Then I can make a script "Animal House w/Josh's Edits" that sequentially plays my "part 1" then "part 2", etc. The movie plays perfectly now, with offending scene removed. The FULL movie is still there for me and my adult friends.

You could probably use a simpler version of that technique to play any disc you like with exactly the start and end point you wish.
2. Some of my movies have two discs (movie+specialfeatures) which turn up on kaleidescape as two separate movies. Any way to join them together as a part of the same movie?
Nope, this is something only the MovieGuide team at Kaleidescape can do. They're pretty good at doing it for you though. Try it out. Now that your discs are imported, no harm in sending them your DVDs and asking for them to create a multi-disc entry for it in MovieGuide.
3. Some movies show up wrongly. Like for instance when I put in "Sweet Sweetbacks Baadaasss song" it shows as another movie. Any way to change the UPC code for the movie in the interface/web utility?
You can only change the UPC code for movies that were not recognized and that you entered yourself. BUT, you can over-ride just about everything in the web UI, including substituting your own cover art, description, actors, director, year, etc. It's what I usually do while I send in a disc to have them "officially" fix it. Then within a week or two, I usually see that they've fixed it officially and the right data is there.

hope that helps,

--josh

Last edited:
Josh, the scripting ability also allows one to edit Jar-Jar Binks out of Star Wars Episode 1 with the exception of the important scenes needed for plot continuity. I was also able to edit out that horrific CGI Jabba the Hutt from the original film.

Ha! Too funny Mr. P.

Back