• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Naming Servers

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Strange... you can name your players, you can name K-Readers, presumably to make them easier to identify. However, if you have multiple servers, you can't assign a name to each of them. Not a big deal, but if you want to go configure server settings it's awfully tough to remember them via their serial numbers or IP address or MAC address (!) rather than nice names like "Old Zone 1 5U server" or "Whizbang monster 3U server" or whatever.

Probably affects very few people, but it just seems like an inconsistency for Kscape to have left this out. (Why on earth we get to name our K-Readers but not our servers seems very strange - I bet there are lots more people with multiple servers than there are people with multiple K-Readers!)

--josh

Yeah I remember my 2 servers by the ip address.
.5 is the top server and .6 is the bottom
I guess they cant be named because really there is nothing to do to them after they are installed

I guess they cant be named because really there is nothing to do to them after they are installed
Doesn't make sense to me. You can't do a thing with a K-reader via the network other than change the intensity of its lights. Yet they let you name those.

Naming just makes things easier.

Imagine if you're a dealer setting up multiple Kscapes and loading clients' movie collections. I imagine naming them would be very helpful in avoiding confusion.

Actually, you *can* name your server. It's just not on the Installer/Components page.

If you go to:
http://{ip of server}/installer/preferences.html

or

http://ks-00000000abcd/installer/preferences.html (where 'ks-00000000abcd' is the serial number of your server) NOTE: If you are using a Mac, you must append .local to the serial number in order to connect to the server in this way. For example: http://ks-00000000abcd.local/installer/preferences.html

you will see that the first entry on that page is a section where you can assign your system a "name" that you can then use to connect to your server.

Keep in mind that if you have multple servers and they are clustered together into a single group, you can only set one System URL since essentially they are one server. However, if you have multiple servers on the same network that are *not* grouped together, you can set a System URL for each of the servers.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
I thought you were talking about really changing the name. I always just type "movies" in my browser and it goes to my http://movies/user/home.html. ANd if I want the installers page I change the "user" name to "installer"

That is the "freindly url"

Actually, you *can* name your server. It's just not on the Installer/Components page.

If you go to:
http://{ip of server}/installer/preferences.html

or

http://ks-00000000abcd/installer/preferences.html (where 'ks-00000000abcd' is the serial number of your server) NOTE: If you are using a Mac, you must append .local to the serial number in order to connect to the server in this way. For example: http://ks-00000000abcd.local/installer/preferences.html

you will see that the first entry on that page is a section where you can assign your system a "name" that you can then use to connect to your server.

Keep in mind that if you have multple servers and they are clustered together into a single group, you can only set one System URL since essentially they are one server. However, if you have multiple servers on the same network that are *not* grouped together, you can set a System URL for each of the servers.

Hope this helped.
Ah... yes, that's close. That's for the friendly name of the server group, and you're right it can solve some of the things I mentioned and I use it all the time.

But not the same thing... and I remain curious why K decided to let you type in a name for each type of component you own EXCEPT servers... a name that's identifiable on the components page for settings, etc.

The components page just looks weird to me that it offers a box to name all your players and readers, but not your servers. I'm probably just bothered more by the incongruity than I am by the feeling I'm missing some real functionality.

It didn't really bother me until I added my second server. Now I can't tell them apart when I check their various capacity and free space without knowing which IP address is on which server. Naming them would be easier and just more consistent.

It didn't really bother me until I added my second server. Now I can't tell them apart when I check their various capacity and free space without knowing which IP address is on which server. Naming them would be easier and just more consistent.

I can see that. But if you don't have your servers grouped together, you *can* set System URLs for each server; in essence giving them each a name. If they *are* grouped together then one System URL connects to both (sort of). I suppose this is why I don't see it as a big deal: If you have multiple servers and they are grouped, then -- the way KEAOS works -- they are essentially one server.
* If you go to the User homepage of server 1 it will report the same information about components and freespace as server 2.
* When you import, you have no control over where the content is written neither at the disk level nor the server level. The only way you can directly affect which server the content is imported onto is to turn off the server(s) you don't want to import to. But why do that?
* Collections, Scenes and Script information is the same regardless of which IP you connect to.

The only individual settings that you have for each server is the front panel glow, the IP settings and serial port communication settings and how often do you change those? You can also restart the server and I suppose that it would be useful to have a name to refer to when deciding which server to restart but again, I seldom restart my servers.

The components page lets you see the space available on each server. I know you can't control where content goes. I'll drop it... it's just a quirk, but that components page just looks odd to me. All your arguments are correct... (but again, they'd also apply more accurately to K-readers, and K thought to let us name those.)

but i give in... it doesn't matter. feature request withdrawn. ;)

Back