• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Music Video questions from a new owner...

mantonuc

Hello everyone,

Today, I joined the K-scape family with the purchase of a "Cinema One" all-in-one system... I was able to get her up and running in very quick order and am importing as we speak... So, one of the things I want to be able to do most is to stream music videos throughout the house. I have a long way to go before I have that all worked out, but thanks to some helpful suggestions on this forum, I have an idea of how to go about that...

I noticed that the music videos are importing at a very fast rate, something for which I am pretty happy. It seems to be between 6 and 10 minutes per disk and I have gotten through 25 thus far... In additional to MVs, I was even able to import "The Italian Job" movie in about 12 minutes... One of the cooler features I like so far is that I can watch previously imported movies as a new movie is being imported... That is pretty cool.

So, I noticed one thing that I can not explain... I have viewed maybe 20 songs on various Music Videos on the system and all of them seem to be in 4-to-3 aspect ratio... In fact, I have yet to see a single once in the 16-by-9 aspect ratio that I would have expected... I am fairly certain that some number of these disk are in 16-by-9 so I am not sure what the heck is going on... On the flip side, when I viewed the Italian Job, it is in fact in 2.35-to-1, as it should be... Any ideas why the music videos all seem to be in the 4-to-3 ratio?

Matt

They may be encoded non-anamorphic, where they are 16x9 letterboxed into a 4:3 frame.

Welcome to the board and congrats on your system.

You should check your video output settings on the Kaleidescape Installer Web utility... in all likelihood, you'll get there by going to "my-kaleidescape/installer/" (if on windows) or "my-kaledescape.local/installer/" if you're on a mac. Let us know what your video settings are and people here can try to help make sure it's configured properly.

--josh

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses... I wound up talking with K and their tech support walked me through configuring the system... Apparently, a lot of the early Music DVDs came in the 4/3 aspect ration and I was not aware of that. My existing McIntosh MVP-841 had its settings set to fill a 16/9 screen when the native resolution was 4/3... It had been so long since I had set it up (8 or 9 years earlier), I forgot it was set that way... The Mac seems to do a good job of filling the screen because I never noticed the "Fat Butt" mode being turned on. Perhaps I just got used to it...

So as luck would have it, shortly after getting the Cinema-One up and running, my Mac MX-134 lost its mind... It got so bad that turning up the volume control resulted in the input changing... It was difficult at best to change the volume, and many of the presets would not stay configured... Cycling the power several times seemed to help but it came back again and again. So, being a very old pre/pro and wanting to move to something that is more modern, I just ordered a new MX-150 to replace that aging unit... Until that arrives (in 5 days), I am only able to listen to the "K" via the cheesy speakers built into my HDTV... So, no chance to really enjoy the system...

That being said, I was able to load about 125 music videos into the system... I can already tell I am going to like it a lot... I was very please to find out that most of these disk would import in less than 10 minutes... In fact, I only found one disk that would not import. The funny part is that it is a double album set and the first disk imported OK, but the second one never seemed to finish, ever after 1+ hours... I was also impressed that one can be importing and listening to music at the same time...

Thanks for the responses...

Matt

In fact, I only found one disk that would not import. The funny part is that it is a double album set and the first disk imported OK, but the second one never seemed to finish, ever after 1+ hours...

Did the system say it could not be imported, or you gave up? Sometimes they just take forever. Cycle back around, and give it another shot at the end, so you can let it run for as long as it wants.

You know, I am not sure. At one point, I was just feeding it an endless stream of disk to import... The display was not connected during some of the time... When this particular disk would not import, I did not turn on the display, I just moved to the next disk... We we getting ready for a big holiday party so I did not have time to try too many things. I will certainly try reimporting it again soon. That being said, the front light was flashing blue, as if it were trying to import for well over an hour...

My MX-150 will be in Friday so I will be setting it all up in a more permanent configuration at that time. I will report more later..

Matt

Some disks do take a long time to import. Over 6 hours though rare is not unknown. If they are taking over an hour I put them in overnight and check them in the morning.

Yeah, once in a great while you will have a very slow to import disc. I had one take 37 hours and 10 minutes. It was the last problem disc I had in a huge bunch of titles I bought and I just stuck it in the reader on my theater player and forgot about it.

Back