• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Moving content from Terra to Strato

Will_Morr

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I thought this may have been covered awhile back but I cannot find it.

I would like to unload some of my Terra content to the internal storage on a Strato so that I can maintain the high download speeds. Is there a procedure that accomplishes this because it is not obvious on the menus.

Thanks in advance

There is no such procedure in the menu system. Depending on the amount of content you are planning to move to the Strato, you may find it easier to re-download the content from the Store directly to the Strato. You delete the content from your Terra, disconnect the Terra from your LAN, then download to the still connected Strato with Storage. When completed, reconnect your Terra.

You can also use the Replication process to move content between Strato players, or Terra Servers, but this is more involved, and Replication must be "enabled" for the relevant system in the dealer Extranet, or by K Support. Once enabled, you can move content, but the process moves ALL permitted content from the Source to the Destination. Some folks delete the content they don't want replicated, and then reinstall/download to the Source after Replication is completed. There is a Replication guide that fully explains the Replication requirements and process. If you'd like a copy email me and I'll send it to you.

Jim
CINELIFELLC@GMAIL.COM

Will,
That's what I've been doing to move HD material from Terra to Alto. Works great other than the 80 mbps download speed of the Alto.

Jim,
Does Replication only apply between a Strato and a Terra, or is it also possible with an Alto and a Terra?

Yes, Alto works as well (Alto, Strato, Terra).

Jim

Will,
That's what I've been doing to move HD material from Terra to Alto. Works great other than the 80 mbps download speed of the Alto.

Jim,
Does Replication only apply between a Strato and a Terra, or is it also possible with an Alto and a Terra?
Yeah, that's why I asked. I was hoping to avoid the slow download speeds by transferring within the network. But, I can accomplish this over a few weeks to get my system organized so it's fine. Thank you, gents

Even if it would work out from a storage perspective, replication would not be a good solution in a case like this, where the components will be rejoined into a single system. Replication is designed to be used when retiring/selling/moving hardware. As such, a lot of the internal data about the system is copied from the source to the target. When you re-join those two components into one system, you now have a lot of duplication within internal structures that can lead to problems down the road.

The first suggestion of deleting some movies, turning off the Terra and then re-downloading them is probably the best way to proceed here. Sorry it’s a bit clunky. This was not really a scenario that was considered.

Thanks Mike. Replication was only mentioned because it is possible (albeit not the best choice). Everyone I'm aware of uses the first option, and I believe the OP is as well.

Jim

The players with integrated storage are running on set-top processors that have comparatively limited CPU horsepower and I/O capabilities. Strato does pretty well. Alto is an older generation of chip, and is somewhat slower. This is one reason that we have moved to products like the Compact Terra, which can combine with the Strato C in the same space as a Strato S player, but deliver significantly higher performance.

7 hours is not what you are referring to when it is not the internet. I understand what you wrote but it doesn’t apply in this case. I can live with 70-80 minutes. Not 5-7 hours for one hd movie.

I don’t understand. Are you talking about downloading or replication?

Back