• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movies purchased won’t download

Oldred

Hi,

we have had 12tb terra server for 3 months and purchases have always downloaded immediately. An 18Tb terra server was added last week but today was my first purchase. There is some room left on the original server.

The installer said that the movies would automatically fill up the first server and then the next purchases would go to the new one and that there was nothing to do to direct the downloads. I assume that’s right and TBh I couldn’t find anything that indicated a choice anyway.

Todays 2 purchases (the first 2 Hunger Games movies bought on the D2D scheme) have sat there for 10 hours stuck on ‘starting download’.

I changed the order but the second movie has remained stuck on the same message.

Is this something dumb that I don’t know?

If not what can I try?

Cheers

Try deleting the movies from the queue and re-download them, you might try one at a time. I would also cycle the power on the Terra's.

Jim

It doesn’t hurt to contact support. I had some issues with downloading to my Strato. Downloads would take more than 24 hours or just stop in mid flight. Support ultimate had their software guys look at my system and they did something (never told me what) that fixed it and it’s worked fine since.

Try deleting the movies from the queue and re-download them, you might try one at a time. I would also cycle the power on the Terra's.

Jim
Thanks - I followed that advice and the first movie did indeed download. I triggered the download of the second movie but that has simply sat on that same 'starting to download message' and nothing is happening. I will leave it overnight as tomorrow the installer will be back at work and can doublt check the network remotely. I can't imagine how the network is the issue but it's worth them checking this out. Will agree with them whether they should raise the fault ticket or me. Thx for the advice and if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Pretty basic problem and a bit annoying but fortunately we don't have guests here for 'movies'.

Not too sure how I raise a fault but I assume it will be obvious enough from links on the K site?

Your dealer can contact Support and start a "Case." Support will use the Case info to investigate the problem and respond to your dealer.

Out of curiosity, I'd delete that title as well, and redownload to see if doing that works as it did with the first movie, because that might help Support identify the cause.

Jim

Your dealer can contact Support and start a "Case." Support will use the Case info to investigate the problem and respond to your dealer.

Out of curiosity, I'd delete that title as well, and redownload to see if doing that works as it did with the first movie, because that might help Support identify the cause.

Jim
I had deleted it the first time but I also requested it’s download before the other one had finished.

By coincidence I have just deleted it again and requested it’s download again just before reading your post but I haven’t rebooted any server at this point though. I do have to wonder if it’s something to do with having the 2 servers showing as available that isn’t working correctly. The other movie started to download to the original server at the same time as the new one was rebooting. I may try to restart the new one but will give it a bit longer first.

Thx

No patience. So I rebooted the new server and deleted and re requested the second movie once again at the same time and voila! The download started to download (I.e showed 0% ) while the new server was down and then carried on after it reappeared.

So it does look as if something is amiss with that ‘which server’ do I download to implementation. Not sure if that is an installer setup config or if it’s automatic but something isn’t quite right. Before installation I assumed I would have to tell it which box I wanted it to go to. After all one might be in a different location.

Good news is that the second movie is now halfway downloaded. Not a practical solution though :)

Completed the download but a puzzle to sort out before the next sale. Will get cracking tomorrow.

I would've thought it would default to the new 18T first, as the one with more space. Did you double-check that they are both setup as being in the same system?

Hi,

we have had 12tb terra server for 3 months and purchases have always downloaded immediately. An 18Tb terra server was added last week but today was my first purchase. There is some room left on the original server.

The installer said that the movies would automatically fill up the first server and then the next purchases would go to the new one and that there was nothing to do to direct the downloads. I assume that’s right and TBh I couldn’t find anything that indicated a choice anyway.
It's close to right. In a dual-Terra configuration, downloads will go to the Terra with the most free space. So you can expect them to go to the new server for quite awhile until they equalize.

Todays 2 purchases (the first 2 Hunger Games movies bought on the D2D scheme) have sat there for 10 hours stuck on ‘starting download’.

Where did you see this message? Web store, or mobile app?

If you'd like, PM me the serial number of your 18T and I'll take a quick peek.

I can confirm nothing has been downloaded to the new server. I can see it in The settings section and it’s been configured (network etc) .

I am not familiar yet with how multiple servers are supposed to work but to access the local IP web of the original I enter it’s ip. That then shows all of the ‘ devices in the system’. I have tried to do this via the new server assuming that would operate in the same way but I can’t currently access that. Not sure if that’s pointing at a network config problem or if that’s normal. The original server obviously can and is accessing the new one though. So maybe they just adopt a master role. All guesswork for me right now.

The message starting download was shown on the downloads section of the Manage drop down menu reached from the Kaleidescape.com movie page.

I have sent the details as requested. Let me know what I can do to help investigate.

Thanks

When you enter the IP address of your first server it should show BOTH servers. If it doesn’t, the second server has not been added as part of your overall “System”.

I am sure Mike will get you sorted.

John

When you enter the IP address of your first server it should show BOTH servers. If it doesn’t, the second server has not been added as part of your overall “System”.

I am sure Mike will get you sorted.

John
It does - it shows as part of the system.

I kind of assumed that if I put in the address of the new server that it would do the same - i.e. it would show the 2 servers and the player. If it doesn't it must imply that there is a 'master server' of some sort and what happens when that is offline for some reason? i.e. you couldn't edit it out of the system because you couldn't access it and then you couldn't see the systems at all. But maybe I am guessing my way up a blind alley with this. Thanks for the nudge though - very helpful to check understandings. The more I understand the quicker I can stop posting what might be daft questions. I am sure Mike will be able to explain some things for me.

I can put in the IP address of either of my Terra servers and I see both both servers (and Players) so something is off with your System (and either your dealer or K should be able to help you).

Here is what I get independent of which IP address I use:

8A1C798B-0007-437B-8CA5-B26CFF2B02A5.png

Just out of curiosity what do you get when you use “http://my-kaleidescape.local/components” to access your system?

John

I just can't access the new server's IP at all and so I am leaning towards it being some sort of odd network config issue. I know that they run the kaleidescape on a virtual LAN to avoid conflicts and that has been perfect so far on the other server and I am just wondering if there is an error when they have added the new server. It could be a box problem. I have emailed them and I know the engineer that did it who is a top guy has accessed it despite being in the middle of a heavy job and so no doubt I will get a phone call. This guy has always gone beyond expectation and really takes pride in what he does and the service that the customer gets.

I suspect when Mike gets to try to access the server remotely he may have problems though. Will wait and see.

Thanks again

You are correct that one server will assume the "master" role, but you should still be able to access the browser interface from either server IP. Have you checked for the possibility that the new server is sharing an IP address with another device on your network. If there are duplicate IP addresses, it will cause all sorts of issues. To test, power off that new server temporarily (or just remove it's Ethernet cable) and try pinging its IP address.

Good luck!
Andy

Right a quick update and perhaps a fuller explanation later.

The situation has persisted since install without being able to download any new movies to the new server despite it appearing as online and accessible to Kaleidescape and to me via the various apps. I couldn't access it from it's www page nor could I ping it.

It was set up, like most av devices here, as a fixed IP address entered in the device setup page. In the end they changed this to DHCP and then locked the MAC address to the same IP address. Then bizarrely everything started to work. It did require one last Hardware reset of the Kaleidescape and then boom - downloads now progress and to the new server. I will ask for further detail but TBH I don't honestly think that they have any. From my perspective, I understand what they have done, and that it is now working, but can't really explain 'why they had to do that' but I think they are in the same situation. All good for now.

Thanks to Mike K for taking a look at things for me remotely.

now to turn my attention to that constant fan/disk noise but that will have to wait until tomorrow - it's deadline day and I am also a sad football fan that has to watch it all to see if we sign anyone. It's a tough life.....

Back