• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movie Download Target

todo

I recently went from a Strato S - Premiere system to Strato C - Terra - Premiere System.
Before the change 4K movies would download to Srato S and HD to Premiere System.
Noticed now the HD movie download are going to the Terra instead of the Premiere??
Anything I can do to change this? I have plenty of space in the Premiere and would like HD movies to populate use space) in Premiere System.
Thanks in advance.

You can change this in the terra/strato sysyem settings in the browser interface.

On Terra (Movie Server) web Interface - when I click on Settings all I see is - Network and Control.
No place to change anything else...

You can change this in the terra/strato sysyem settings in the browser interface.
Just noticed - in System and Player Pairing it Allows to Pick SD and HD Download location and I I have set that as my Premier System but the Download came to the Terra !!

When you changed components, did you confirm they are still "paired?"

As you probably know, in a paired system, the Store default settings send 4K to Terra/Strato, and SD/HD to the Premiere (unless the content is owned by Disney and you haven't "opted-in.")

Jim - just noticed - these HD titles I recently bought were Disney - so thanks for your response.
You learn every day..

When you purchase a UHD/HDR movie in the Store that includes an HD copy, do you see both the Terra system and Premiere system in the "Download to" section?

Okay, missed that post, sorry! Glad you figured it out.

Jim

While we are on this subject, I have a question on this. I like to send TV series and SD downloads to my Premiere system but all other to my Terra. Because of this, I often change this setting before downloading TV series and SD downloads then return it back to download everything to Terra. It takes a few minutes for my system to make this change, sometimes I need to change it twice for it to save. Is this normal?

When you say "but all other," are you referring to HD content as well?

When you say "but all other," are you referring to HD content as well?
My paired system currently offers “SD and HD download destination” settings with 2 options, premiere or encore. My default setting is encore.

When I am looking at an SD title or TV series seasons (both HD and SD) on the Kstore, I go in and change this setting manually to premiere. When hit OK to save this setting, it takes up to 5 minutes to confirm the save. Sometimes I get a time out message so I try it again. Typically, after 2 tries, it confirms save and I can go about making purchases. Once I am done with SD and TV series downloads, I go back to settings and change it to my default destination, encore. This also takes a couple of tries and about 5 minutes. It is not a big trouble to be honest. I buy SD content and TV series seasons once a month or less. I always thought it took a long time to change this setting because it took some coordination with 2 different systems and the Kstore. As long as this is normal behavior and not specific to my setup, I am fine:)

Note: TV series on premiere is just a preference. SD content on premiere is somewhat of a necessity. Premiere players allow you to select video output per content resolution. I have SD content set to output at 480P as the de-interlacing in the Kplayer is better than the one in Lumagen Pro. All other content is set to output native resolution. The Strato player doesn’t have this kind of flexibility.

While we are on this subject, I have a question on this. I like to send TV series and SD downloads to my Premiere system but all other to my Terra. Because of this, I often change this setting before downloading TV series and SD downloads then return it back to download everything to Terra. It takes a few minutes for my system to make this change, sometimes I need to change it twice for it to save. Is this normal?
Yes, you will have to set this manually. Is it normal to have to set it twice - No. However, when you check on the browser, it could take a while to show up on the Store download page. I change it on my system browser and don’t worry about what the Store says and they always go to the right place.

With regards to de-interlacing with the Radiance Pro, it looks like there is a firmware update coming that will help with this. We will see….

John

Edit: Corrected typos.

Last edited:
All understood, JohnJ provided essentially the same answer I would in that regard. Interesting comment regarding the Rad Pro, I didn't realize that, but then again I don't have many SD titles. As John mentioned, hopefully the upcoming update improves deinterlacing.

Jim

I've got a Terra and an Alto.

Everything has gone to the Terra and now it is full (no room for HDR.)

I don't see any settings to direct downloads. I also don't see a way to tell where a movie is stored.

What is the easiest way to move HD to the Alto?

Options based on my (limited knowledge)

1) Every time I make a new HDR purchase, delete a few HD movies from the Terra (looks like I would need to maintain a separate tracking document to know what HD is on the Terra and what is on the Alto,) - download the HDR movie, then re-download the deleted HD movies (which will go to the Alto as the Terra will be full.)

This sounds like a lot of work.

Option B:

2) Remove the Terra from the system (I assume this will delete all content.) With only the Alto connected, re-download all HD content. Re-associate the Terra and re-download all of the HDR content.

Advantages: A lot fewer steps, plus no maintenance of a tracking document. Though true that, once done, HD titles will start going to the Terra again, this would free up all the Terra space currently being used by HD titles.

I tried just turning off the Terra, that doesn't seem to work.

Unless there is an easier way, assuming it will work, I'm leaning to option B.

Appreciate any thoughts.

I would contact support. It is my understanding if you turn off your Terra, this is suppose to force HD to go to the Alto. SJ

Thanks. Looks like that does work. (I just wasn't waiting long enough.)

Good point. I just assumed clicking "Remove from System" on the components page would mean you couldn't just add it back and have everything be there.

Good news is, even if limited to 80 mbps, just turning off the Terra seems to work fine.

Back