• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movie Download Problem

Darin

I have the Terra C 22TB server and the Strato C movie player, both hardwired (ethernet) to my router. I also have the top of the line Netgear Orbi RBRE 960 series router and a GB fiber optic internet service. Every time I purchase a K-scape movie, the router freezes up and the LAN is down throughout the house until I reboot everything. I don't have this problem with the router at anytime until I download a movie and then its a s%*&! show. It is like the router or the ISP is interpreting the download as an intrusion and shuts everything down. Is anybody else having this problem, and if so, any suggestions to remedy it? Thanks in advance!

Had a spare minute. So trawled around on this.

There are some user comments of similar sounding problems downloading larger games software on netgear community pages. Theirs would crash and restart. Apparently there is some sort of security software on the router called Armour? In a controlled temporary test (while talking to net gear support) they were asked to turn that off, power down for 1 or 2 min. Restart (with Armour still off) and try download again. The download was then fine. Restarting armour brought back the problem. Can’t see signs of what happened next but this was in January.

CARE - Just turning it off sounds a bad idea other than a very short test but you can probably post a question about what happened next or contact netgear support yourself. I would have thought they have a config change and ‘turning it off’ was just to isolate the problem area(rule out hardware issues.

Good luck

Don't know if it applies in your situation, maybe K Support can clarify if you contact them, but historically some Netgear products have had problems with Kaleidescape gear. I know for sure several Netgear Switch models had problems for our clients over the years.

Jim

Had a spare minute. So trawled around on this.

There are some user comments of similar sounding problems downloading larger games software on netgear community pages. Theirs would crash and restart. Apparently there is some sort of security software on the router called Armour? In a controlled temporary test (while talking to net gear support) they were asked to turn that off, power down for 1 or 2 min. Restart (with Armour still off) and try download again. The download was then fine. Restarting armour brought back the problem. Can’t see signs of what happened next but this was in January.

CARE - Just turning it off sounds a bad idea other than a very short test but you can probably post a question about what happened next or contact netgear support yourself. I would have thought they have a config change and ‘turning it off’ was just to isolate the problem area(rule out hardware issues.

Good luck
Thank you very much! I will try disabling the security software component of the router to see if the problem persists.

Don't know if it applies in your situation, maybe K Support can clarify if you contact them, but historically some Netgear products have had problems with Kaleidescape gear. I know for sure several Netgear Switch models had problems for our clients over the years.

Jim
Thanks Jim!

Not sure if it is particular Netgear switches as (touch wood) no problems with my installation which is fully Netgear. Main switch to which my servers (Legacy & Strato) are connected is a Netgear GS752TPP with gigabit fibre to the house connected via the ISP's router then a VPN firewall and finally the GS752TPP. Each room then has a local wired switch with wireless being used only for the control systems and laptops etc so perhaps not an apples to apples comparison.

Thank you very much! I will try disabling the security software component of the router to see if the problem persists.
I am sure you will anyway but obviously turn it back on again after the test and then pursue what I would suspect will be a config change with netgear. I risk reminding 'my grandmother to suck eggs here' because I would feel so awful if you got hacked because you left it off :(.

Best of luck with it. I am sure someone will help sort you out. I find even the experts adopt a 'try this and this and this until it works, so some patience may be required.

Do you limit the speed of your movie downloads below 1 GB/sec? Any non-default router setting configuration for K-scape?
Pretty much default settings. Average download speeds are sometimes lower, but I typically get around 600-700 Mbps from Kaleidescape. Nothing like the crashing you described. My max speed is 1.4 GB from Comcast.

I am sure you will anyway but obviously turn it back on again after the test and then pursue what I would suspect will be a config change with netgear. I risk reminding 'my grandmother to suck eggs here' because I would feel so awful if you got hacked because you left it off :(.

Best of luck with it. I am sure someone will help sort you out. I find even the experts adopt a 'try this and this and this until it works, so some patience may be required.
I have confirmed that the Netgear Armor security software installed on the Orbi router is at least contributing to the problem, but could not completely duplicate the typical shut down of the router and failure to download. I downloaded three movies as follows:

1. Disabled Netgear Armor and rebooted router. Download completed. Download speed of 750 Mb/sec and no issues with internet connection on devices within the house.

2. Re-enabled Netgear Armor without rebooting router. Download completed. Download speed of 440 Mb/sec, but buffering of streaming services on other devices.

3. Rebooted router with Netgear Armor still enabled. Download completed. Download speed of 420 Mb/sec, but lost internet connection on all devices attached to the router.

I will report to K-scape and Netgear support and will let you know what I learn. Thanks!

I have confirmed that the Netgear Armor security software installed on the Orbi router is at least contributing to the problem, but could not completely duplicate the typical shut down of the router and failure to download. I downloaded three movies as follows:

1. Disabled Netgear Armor and rebooted router. Download completed. Download speed of 750 Mb/sec and no issues with internet connection on devices within the house.

2. Re-enabled Netgear Armor without rebooting router. Download completed. Download speed of 440 Mb/sec, but buffering of streaming services on other devices.

3. Rebooted router with Netgear Armor still enabled. Download completed. Download speed of 420 Mb/sec, but lost internet connection on all devices attached to the router.

I will report to K-scape and Netgear support and will let you know what I learn. Thanks!
Thanks for sharing that. Fingers crossed that Netgear will recognise the issue (and admit to it) without a lot of back and forth due to their process. They have been good in the past and for many years we had only Netgear kit here and only switched due to an installer suggestion.

The slowdown of your download speeds is so significant (750 to 440mbps) even without the wider impacts you are experiencing with the Armor software turned on. Hopefully they will have a simple suggestion. Cheers

Thanks for sharing that. Fingers crossed that Netgear will recognise the issue (and admit to it) without a lot of back and forth due to their process. They have been good in the past and for many years we had only Netgear kit here and only switched due to an installer suggestion.

The slowdown of your download speeds is so significant (750 to 440mbps) even without the wider impacts you are experiencing with the Armor software turned on. Hopefully they will have a simple suggestion. Cheers
I have resolved the problem. Netgear support told me that free technical support for my 4-month old router was not available (1-year warranty on the hardware, but you can't talk to technical support to resolve any issues - good business plan). However, reading through the Netgear forum, many people were complaining about the router functionality on the Netgear products. Several people recommended adding Ubiquiti router and converting the Orbit to a wireless access point. Someone mentioned that they had disabled the router function in the Orbi router and was using it only as an access point. They said they had an old Dell Sonicwall (router/firewall appliance) lying around and inserted that device into the LAN chain as a router. By chance, I had a Sonicwall at work that was no longer in service and brought it home and configured it as a router and set up the Orbi as a wireless access point. The Orbi and three satellites do provide very good wireless coverage. Configuring the Sonicwall was a bit of a challenge, but figured it out with the help of Google and YouTube. I am now able to download movies at the same time I am watching a moving on Kaleidescape for the first time since I have owned K-scape. Everything works great and devices even seem more responsive. An added benefit was that I was able to set up an additional network on the Sonicwall to segregate the security cameras from the rest of the LAN for increased security. Thanks you all for your input!

Glad you got things working! Think about moving to UniFi for your next network upgrade. I abandoned tons of great gear for an integrated network platform. You can control as little or as much as you want. SJ

Back