• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Move Movies / Media between KServers?

Is it possible to move movies or media between servers to balance their free space?

I've got two 3U servers - one with almost no free space, and the other with nearly 50% free.

Currently - when I load movies, I find I have to turn off the almost-full server to keep it from accepting any more movies and to make sure they load to the less full server!

Can I balance already loaded media manually? Hidden Web Interface perhaps?

Thanks!

Hi,

Just curious, is there a reason that you want to try to balance? I think that the system is really just set up to load and load and load....You don't have any speed or quality issues, do you?

Thanks, Steven

I agree with Steven. The only thing I would be weary of is if one server tried to pack itself to the last free byte of space. Mine did that and that caused problems. K said their software is supposed to make sure the server won't jam it self up (you need some free space for housekeeping). I think you should just contact K technical support and see what they say.

support@kaleidescape.com

Balancing Servers.

Yes, I did run into the problem of my first server trying to pack itself full to the last byte - at which point it began to run slowly, and I lost all the cover art for the loaded movies.

KScape walked me through deleting a few movies, and gaining a minimum amount of free space necessary for normal operation (I was told something like 14gb should be reserved - I try to keep it up around a hundred just in case. It did take a day or so to completely rebuild the cover art once I had done this. No harm - No foul. K's Tech support has always been fantastic.

I know each server supports a certain maximum number of imports simultaneously - (I know I can do 5 at a time pretty reliably on one server) so I've got 18 players, and when loading many discs at once (all my players are centralized) I'd like to be able to use all my available servers to import - from all my existing players? - (that is, if it can load-balance the importing over 2 or however many servers there are in a system?)

I love the system - Just not the part about babysitting it and feeding it a handful of DVD's at a time...

For Example:

40 Dvd's for the Seinfeld box set, 5 at a time, at ~35-40 minutes for all 5 to import still adds up to 8 disc changes at inconvenient 40minute or so time intervals .. being able to load up all 18 players in the morning, and come back in the afternoon/evening once they've all loaded would be a pretty darn nice feature.

**Wishlist item: Have a Loading Queue - so that if I put a disc in each player - I don't get the "Server busy with existing imports" message after the first couple discs have started- and that it just loads them a few at a time - after the existing imports have finished.

The only way to guarantee that your import goes to a particular server would be to turn off the other server while you are importing. Of course, that portion of your library will be unavailable until you turn the server back on but other than that, no harm would be done.

Back