• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Monsters Inc (PAL) audio issue

brodricj

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I have imported Mosters Inc into my Kaleidescape system and have forced the player audio output, under SETTINGS>AUDIO, preferred audio soundtrack "stereo PCM" and HDMI audio output to "always send stereo audio (PCM)"

However, when I go to play the movie on my Panasonic HDTV there is no audio present. Under Playback Options>Audio I see that the player is outputting DTS 5.1. I need to manually select the DD5.1 soundtrack for the Panasonic HDTV to decode the HDMI audio.

So my question is, why is the player still outputting DTS 5.1 audio over HDMI when I've chosen to always output stereo PCM? Is this an import issue?

Could this be an EDID issue where the Panny TV is telling the player it can do and wants to do the bitstream 5.1?

Most likely, but the question remains, why is the K player listening to what the Panny TV says rather than obeying what I've told it to do?

Maybe its been talking to my wife? yuk yuk yuk... I donno- were back to chaos with HDCP and EDID etc and PDQ.

Hello brodricj,

Your "always send stereo audio" selection will override any EDID information from the Panasonic plasma, but Kaleidescape 1080p players do not decode DTS audio internally, and therefore cannot downmix a DTS soundtrack to stereo.

http://www.kaleidescape.com/support/knowledgebase.php?article_id=50150000000LkVrAAK

http://www.kaleidescape.com/support/knowledgebase.php?article_id=50150000000LTO7AAO

What is the preferred audio track setting for that movie player? Since your display does not support DTS, I suggest Dolby Digital.

Note also that the language preference is a factor on audio track selection.

Best regards,
Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

The player was set to output stereo PCM but for some reason with this disc it is outputting DTS as the preferred audio track. The kids watch the Kaleidescape system on the TV all the time, with the audio content coming down the HDMI cable, including those titles with both DTS and DD soundtracks. However Monsters Inc is the only title that the player defaults to the DTS sound track despite being set to "always output PCM". The only way to get audio through the TV is to manually select the DD soundtrack. It really is a mystery to me why this title always defaults to DTS soundtrack when the player is set to always output stereo PCM.

Back