• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Missing Alternative Cuts in 4K HDR

I planned to start kind of similar thread since I also care for alternate versions of movies. Especially movies that is kind of "working" better dramaturgical. For example Terminator 2, The Abyss, Aliens, Da Vinci Code and the Lord of the Rings movies. But the list can go on.

I started thinking of this when Abyss and Aliens popped up in the store and I was about to buy both of them in 3.5 seconds. Just did a quick check so the better version was in 4K but it was not so I canceled both. Still waiting and I really would like to buy them along with all the others.

The Abyss and Aliens is two of my favorite movies and I've bought both of them several times. The Abyss I think I actually only bought three times but it haven't been released so many times. Aliens I think I bought 8 times.

The list so far.

Movies missing alternative version in 4K quality that's available on other formats
(Apocalypse Now: Redux and original version missing in 4K)

Movies missing longer version or is in less quality on K
Added a few more on the list.

Added a few more on the list.
Most of the newly added items are remnants of the DVD days when studios inserted a few deleted scenes and slapped a banner saying "Director's Cut" on a double-dip disc (generally the Directors were never involved in the process). When it came time to produce HD masters and Blu-rays, these were all generally left in the bin, though sometimes you'd get the deleted scenes as special features.

These are all trapped on DVD:
Coyote Ugly
Crocodile Dundee
Enemy of the State
Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3
Pretty Woman
Tombstone

Con Air's various versions seem to all be related to tweaks for foreign markets or broadcast TV.

Team America got an unrated Blu-ray, but that version never made it to digital. If you want this, grab the disc.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is the only added title that is readily available in separate Theatrical and Unrated cuts on various digital stores. (If you can't find a cut on iTunes or Vudu, there's no way K can get it.)

I'm still assembling the list for the "Hole" thread. The fact is, we'll never see most of these, but maybe a few key cuts will get owner interest and sufficient requests to K will get them to consider.

Most of the newly added items are remnants of the DVD days when studios inserted a few deleted scenes and slapped a banner saying "Director's Cut" on a double-dip disc (generally the Directors were never involved in the process). When it came time to produce HD masters and Blu-rays, these were all generally left in the bin, though sometimes you'd get the deleted scenes as special features.

These are all trapped on DVD:
Coyote Ugly
Crocodile Dundee
Enemy of the State
Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3
Pretty Woman
Tombstone

Con Air's various versions seem to all be related to tweaks for foreign markets or broadcast TV.

Team America got an unrated Blu-ray, but that version never made it to digital. If you want this, grab the disc.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is the only added title that is readily available in separate Theatrical and Unrated cuts on various digital stores. (If you can't find a cut on iTunes or Vudu, there's no way K can get it.)

I'm still assembling the list for the "Hole" thread. The fact is, we'll never see most of these, but maybe a few key cuts will get owner interest and sufficient requests to K will get them to consider.
Yes. Totally agree. These are on the 'not important' list.

I left out those that got stuck on Laserdisc (Ransom and Dead Poets Society)

I feel like I'm still confused which version of "RoboCop" is at the K Store! The store lists the UHD version as rated R, and does not differentiate it as a Director's Cut. @MikeKobb could you confirm this? And if K store does have the unrated director's cut, maybe they can change the description.

I feel like I'm still confused which version of "RoboCop" is at the K Store! The store lists the UHD version as rated R, and does not differentiate it as a Director's Cut. @MikeKobb could you confirm this? And if K store does have the unrated director's cut, maybe they can change the description.
I can confirm this. Downloaded both and double checked. I mailed K about the info that is misleading on the store. The running time is just a difference in 21 seconds so it's correct. Unrated Director's Cut (103:14), the R-Rated Theatrical Cut (102:53) so they both are 103mins

UHD = Unrated Director's Cut
HD = R-Rated

I mailad K maybe a year ago about it's difficult to which version is available in different resolutions. In the small box that appears when you push the features button it's usually only states "Movie" on 4K and UHD. But on HD it usually states very clearly which version it is. My tip to them was to change to the above on RoboCop.

Example from Leon The Professional. Easy to understand versions on UHD and HD but I 50/50 on the HDR version. Not that important but why not state 'Theatrical Version' instead of just 'Movie'.
Skärmbild 2024-04-13 081401.png

Back