• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Migration issues

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
This post by Tom Barnett of Kaleidescape was very helpful in clarifying the oft-discussed issue of the risks of drive "upswapping". (3-year long thread on this located here.)

However, the post reminded me of a concern about upgrading my 5U to a 3U... namely that the migration process as currently implemented causes the LOSS of all movie collections and mix albums.

I now recall that issue from a while back... but had forgotten it. Guess I had assumed that was an issue of the early versions of the migration code in KEAOS. It's a HUGE issue for me personally, with probably over 3000 collection membership records, and a dozen or more very large, carefully created mix albums.

Given the deprecation of the "System Snapshot" function, as well as this somewhat glaring ommission in the System Migration function, is there ANY way to avoid losing this valuable data and recreating each item one-by-one? Can't quite see why the engineers took the trouble to make sure migration moved paused bookmarks over to the new server but not mix albums or collection membership.

Another set of data that will be (ahem) "lost in migration" is the import date/order of your movies/albums. Also a bummer for me... as I use the auto-generated "NEW" collection a lot to find what movies are the newest in my collection.

Definitely makes me re-think my plan to soon get the 5U-to-3U upgrade.

Tom, is there any other solution? Will a future KEAOS upgrade fix this problem? Do Dealers have any way to do a FULL replication, preserving these items as well?

--josh

Last edited:
Hi Josh, dealers have the same capability in replication as everyone else. I lost the same files when I replicated my two 5U's to the 3U, and yes, I agree regarding the import page and "new" movies. I'm currently in the process of trying to locate all of the movies I have not viewed yet and moving them to the "Watch Soon" collection. A real PITA (but I'm still very satisfied with the replication process).

Jim

In anticipation of my migration I have been printing out lists of all of my collections. At least I will have these with which to rebuild my collections. It sure would be nice if the system would preserve all of my previous work.

Back