• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

migrating content from 3u to 3u

nsxboy

quick question. I have 2 3U servers, now both registered and setup on the same network (and visible from browser), and would like to migrate content from one server to another.

Long story short, due to an accidental pop out, my original 3U 1 TB drive popped out and in reinsertion, now is my hot spare and it's not enough to support my 13TB system. I'm getting the warning that only a number of my drives are now replicated and I'm at risk of losing content.

I was hoping to migrate enough content off of it to remove the warning, then pop out one of the 3TB drives to convert it into the new hot spare.

Can anyone tell me if that will work (to remove the warning) and how do I setup to connect the 2 servers to migrate content via the network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Whatever you do, do NOT start pulling drives.

It sounds like a rebuild started when that 1TB drive popped out which means your file system (all remaining drives) may be at risk. Should another drive “fail” before that process completes (it may take several days depending on how much data there was), you could be looking at data loss or possibly a catastrophic failure.

Keep in mind that when a Premiere server is degraded (whether rebuilding or not), data can still be read from the remaining drives (meaning replication can continue), but data cannot be written to the drives (so no imports or downloads can happen).

I’d recommend contacting your dealer or K support and in the meantime check the browser interface (the IP address of your old server) and look for a message indicating that a rebuild is underway? How far along is it?

Like I said at the beginning of this post, do NOT go moving disks around or you are likely to make things worse. And I know it is the weekend, but get K support involved. If your goal is to get your library replicated and then move on to the new server, their tools can best analyze the health of your remaining drives and hopefully provide the guidance to get you across the finish line.

Good luck,
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy. This took place over a month ago and I believe all replication has been done. I was intending on moving as much of the content over to the second system while trying to figure out a way to make the 3tb the hot spare.

I won't touch the system based on your guidance. Outside of buying an additional drive, is there a way to balance the storage and reset the system to make the 3tb drives to become the hot spare?

Thanks,

Mike

Glad to hear we’re talking past tense here . I get nervous hearing about disk failures in old file systems considering the health of the remaining drives contribute to a successful outcome.

If the 3 TB joined the file system, it is unlikely that it can be pulled back out and added as a hot spare. Then again, I am assuming certain things that K support has much more insight into. Give them a shout out before taking any of my answers as gospel.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back