• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Managed Copy?

ptrubey

Does anyone know where blu-ray managed copy is? Is it still coming, or dead? And does Kaleidescape still need it for their upcoming "Blue-Laser Player"?

And while I'm asking questions that have no answers, anyone know if K is working on allowing content to be downloaded from the Internet similar to Amazon's movie download service?

I have not heard anything that has changed, namely that Kaleidescape must abide by Managed Copy process for Blu-Ray and as far as I know it still has not been formalized or published. I think the license for Blu-Ray was much stricter and therefore the only legal way to store the movies on a server is to follow the Managed Copy spec. (Very convenient for the studios since the spec doesn't yet exist, as far as I know.)

As to the 2nd question... I agree that going directly to downloads is probably preferable technically (a la Vudu and others), but then you have the problem with release windows where movies come in and out of availability, sometimes ending up in the exclusive Showtime/HBO/Stars contract which precludes them from being also available for downloads. It's a nightmare... trust me.

I think you've nailed the big issue - Kaleidescape either waits for Managed Copy spec to come out, which theoretically allows what Kaleidescape users expect (albeit with extra fees if you want to store your movie on a server), or they go the download route and end up with the weird selection of movies that Amazon/Tivo, Netflix Watch Instantly, and Vudu have... which doesn't meet our expectations for buying a movie and having it available permanently on our servers.

I had forgotten about those release windows. You're right, Wall-E which got released on DVD about a month ago, is no longer available via Amazon Download, while Bottle Shock is available for download, and it's DVD doesn't get released for about a month from now.

So, yeah, that won't work very well. You'd need a true DVD download service, and I guess no one has that, no doubt for licensing reasons.

Bottle shock would be a good k download. i saw it on a plane recently. anybody know the producers?

Back