• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M300 Network link is 100Base-TX

Peter Nielsen

Hello,

As of recently my-kaleidescape/home is warning me "Player (1234 56789012): Network link is 100Base-TX. This component performs best with a 1000Base-T connection.". The warning is accurate. The switch that the M300 is connected to also reports a link speed of 100 instead of 1000.

The player has worked fine in 1000 mode until recently. This problem has appeared within the past few months for no reason. I've tried to replace the switch (Cisco SG100-08) without any difference. I also tried to plug the player directly into my Cisco router and force the speed to 1000. No go. Only 100 works.

As a last resort, I ordered a Netgear GS108Ev3 Managed switch. It did not work any better, but this switch has built-in cable analyzer software. The software claims that my M300 has a shorted Ethernet cable. I've tried switching out the cables, but the short always remains at the length of the cable, indicating the short is at or inside the M300. I've carefully inspected the M300 RJ-45 jack, but it looks good.

So... what could be wrong? Netgear GS108Ev3 cable analyzer tells about a short at the Kaledescape end of the cable. If I try a longer cable, the distance reported will be longer, so it's pretty clear the short is at the M300. I'm thinking it must be the RJ-45 jack that is bad, or the Ethernet transformer.

Does anyone know more about the Ethernet jack in the M300. Is it a jack with integrated magnetics, or is the Ethernet transformer a separate component?

My M300 is out of warranty, so the only options Kaleidescape is giving me is to purchase either a remanufactured or new player....

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
Had the exact same issue. I replaced my M300 with an M500 and problem solved. I believe it is an issue with the M300 as it ages as mine was giving the error message occasionally. Eventually it was 100 all the time. Time to upgrade to an M500.

Had the exact same issue. I replaced my M300 with an M500 and problem solved. I believe it is an issue with the M300 as it ages as mine was giving the error message occasionally. Eventually it was 100 all the time. Time to upgrade to an M500.

Interesting. That explains why Kaleidescape support was only talking about upgrading to an M500. They did not even mention the option of M300. (Oh, and FWIW, I also own an M500 purchased at the same time as the M300, and the M500 is still working fine on 1000).

I just opened up the M300. The jack is an RJ-45/USB combo-jack made by Tyco Electronics. This jack does not have built in magnetics, so it's highly unlikely to be the problem in this situation. The magnetics is in H5007NL, a surface mounted chip ($7 from Mouser.com). I'm going to try to swap this. Pretty sure that will take care of the issue. I'll post here once the surgery is done ;)

Peter

Back