• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M300 Fan Noise

BrianK

Hello Again

I have a few M300 players in various bedrooms - whether powered on or off with the remote - they all have noticable fan noise and seem to be very hot to the touch (rear rhs) This doesnt seem like a very good product design - are other people noticing the same thing - even hanging them on the back of the tvs doesnt really disguise the noise. - Any suggestions:)

B

Dear BrianK,

I have same problems with the 1080p-Player. The support could not help. K told me, that the M-Class has another product design and fan technology. I seems that the problems are the same here. I opened a thread some months ago in this forum.

I use a socket from Intertechno. If I press the power button on my remote first the player switches off and than the socket. So the fan has no more chance to make noise. Not a good solution but it works.
K is not a green company. This is in my opinion the only negative point.

Best,

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the advice - i read your thread - exactly as my experience - these things should be silent - poor design - really doesnt work in a quiet bedroom situation - i will try your power off solution - I have three - all M300 all noisy - despite good ventilation in a cool house.

The M300 is not a good idea if u are a light sleeper or easily annoyed by fan noise in the bedroom :)

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the advice - i read your thread - exactly as my experience - these things should be silent - poor design - really doesnt work in a quiet bedroom situation - i will try your power off solution - I have three - all M300 all noisy - despite good ventilation in a cool house.

The M300 is not a good idea if u are a light sleeper or easily annoyed by fan noise in the bedroom :)

That's interesting, I've got two and both are silent.

Jim

While designing the M-Class players, we set out to find a chip that can decode 1080p and lossless audio, drive our 1080p user interface, play a Blu-ray movie while simultaneously importing one from the tray (M500) and one from the connected disc vault, and start up so quickly that you can have a movie playing in under 10 seconds after pressing the power button.

We found a great chip that does all of these things – but it did have one small limitation. It does not provide features to achieve fast exit from a low-power standby. i.e. it can’t go to sleep deeply enough to save a lot of power while being awake enough to spot a wake-up event. So the M300 Player draws 20 W while in standby. This 20 W load also creates heat - 68 BTU/hr. This heat needs to be exhausted (hence the fan).

One might compare the M300 Player’s power consumption and standby state to a device like AppleTV. But the AppleTV doesn’t do the things I listed above – it can’t decode 1080p or lossless audio, drive a 1080p user interface, or even play Blu-ray movies. As a result, they use a less powerful chip that draws less power and requires less cooling.

Keeping the chip cool with a fan also makes the player more reliable. We use extremely reliable speed-controlled fans with vapo-bearings that are the quietest available. If the player has good airflow and the room is climate controlled, there is very little noise. If the room is below 25C (intake air temp) and all air vents are un-blocked, and you are more than 6 feet away, you should not be able to hear the noise from an M300 Player.

Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tom - Its great to see a company so keen to provide information and support.

I have found a very simple way to solve the problem in my home - using a remote power-off product from Eon - simply turn off tv with remote - powers off M300 30 secs later

Works perfectly problem solved

Appreciate all the support

Brian

Thanks Tom.:)

Jim

Back