• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M Player Region Free Mod

Ken P

Just out of curiosity, has anyone experienced performing a hardware or software region free DVD and Blu-ray modification on any of the out-of-warranty M model players by one of the companies advertising this service on the internet?

I have one player one region and the other a different region and have no problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You only would need the region modification for loading of DVD content. The region is not checked at playback but at loading.

For the Blu-Ray, it is checked at playback, but as long as you have one player of that region on your system, then any player can play back that region. For example, I have a region A, B and C player in my system and can play back any BluRay from any region at any time on any player.

So odd question: if I had an Alto in A and another Alto in B and a DV700, what can I play from the DV700?

For the Blu-Ray, it is checked at playback, but as long as you have one player of that region on your system, then any player can play back that region. For example, I have a region A, B and C player in my system and can play back any BluRay from any region at any time on any player.

There's a little bit more to it though. This ONLY works if Kaleidescape has catalogued the movie so that it is recognized. If the movie has not been catalogued, then the region setting of the actual player decides.

I have one player set to region B and two to region A. I can play all catalogued movies from any player. However, I also have a couple of German region B titles that will only play on my B player. What these have in common is that they're not recognized/catalogued.

It appears not all blurays check the region, as I have a bunch of unrecognized ones that play fine from any player.

My guess: The movies I see this problem with are doing a player region check. The solution would be to send them to Kaleidescape to be catalogued. Once catalogued and play is pressed to jump straight into the movie, the check is skipped and the problem is gone. (I guess "play disc" will always show this issue, but in this case it is of course a non-issue).

Bug or feature?

FWIW: If I recall correctly, this bluray title shows the issue: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3348102/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
But, if you import to your server using your region B player, then can’t you play from any player?

John

But, if you import to your server using your region B player, then can’t you play from any player?

No! Not if the BluRay enforces a region and all you have in the menu is "Play Disc". Play disc will do the region check and if the imported movie is not the same region as the player, you will be told your player has the wrong region. Apparently "Play Movie" skips the region checking and jumps directly into playing the movie. However, this requires that the movie is catalogued and recognized by Kaleidescape...

I see this problem with the movie mentioned above. It's imported, but I can only play it on my B region player. In my A players I get a message that the movie cannot be played. This message is generated by the movie (it's not a Kaleidescape or player message). I believe this movie has software that detects the region and denies access in case of mismatch. If the movie was catalogued, then "Play movie" would skip all this software nonsense and I would be able to play the movie on all players by choosing "Play movie".

Interesting. I guess I haven’t run into this before.

John

Back