• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Lutron switch

I did my research and did not decide yet. For RA3, this is the list of compatible devices.

To get started it costs a processor around $350 and one dimmer $99 to $150. One can get free training and need to do that to install software. These are links for the minimum to start with

processor is one-time expense not bad for the price. but adding switches is expensive. Hope it helps someone as well.

I did my research and did not decide yet. For RA3, this is the list of compatible devices.

To get started it costs a processor around $350 and one dimmer $99 to $150. One can get free training and need to do that to install software. These are links for the minimum to start with

processor is one-time expense not bad for the price. but adding switches is expensive. Hope it helps someone as well.

Interesting though, going through that list I came across the Maestro switch I had in my previous home theater. This actually worked really well and had a small remote available. So in theory you could install this switch and add it to an RA3 installation in the future. This switch is considered RA2, so will not connect directly to the Kaleidescape, but it does appear to be compatible with the RA3 controller for future expansion.

As a standalone switch I preferred the Maestro to the Caseta, but the Caseta was required to connect to Apple HomeKit, so I chose that this time.

MAESTRO RF Dimmer with PRO LED+ Technology​

MAESTRO RF Dimmer with PRO LED+ Technology
I verified with support that only Maestro switches that start with RRD will work with RA3 and not all Mestro switches. Controller and switch should be with in 30 feet otherwise repeaters needed. I really don't understand why they have to make so complicated with all the requirements.

I verified with support that only Maestro switches that start with RRD will work with RA3 and not all Mestro switches. Controller and switch should be with in 30 feet otherwise repeaters needed. I really don't understand why they have to make so complicated with all the requirements.
It's 100% to guarantee their custom installer base isn't run out of business by the DIY market. Smart home devices are already likely cutting into a lot of that, and low-level, untrained geek squad types are not helping. The CI market has spent a lot of years and money in the training and certification for building large systems, they want some sort of wall to hold back the flood of 'kids' who have a laptop and a van.

There's a lot of merit in that argument, but there's also a lot of value in taking on smaller clients who aren't necessarily looking to rewire an entire home, or building a new 6000sf palace. The CI market really wants to have their cake and eat it too. They don't want to mess with small jobs, but they also want to make sure the tech is out of reach or at least convoluted for those willing to take on smaller jobs.

It's 100% to guarantee their custom installer base isn't run out of business by the DIY market. Smart home devices are already likely cutting into a lot of that, and low-level, untrained geek squad types are not helping. The CI market has spent a lot of years and money in the training and certification for building large systems, they want some sort of wall to hold back the flood of 'kids' who have a laptop and a van.

There's a lot of merit in that argument, but there's also a lot of value in taking on smaller clients who aren't necessarily looking to rewire an entire home, or building a new 6000sf palace. The CI market really wants to have their cake and eat it too. They don't want to mess with small jobs, but they also want to make sure the tech is out of reach or at least convoluted for those willing to take on smaller jobs.
I am sure I am missing something. But my use case is just for Kscape. Spending $400 for controller and $150 for switch and buy repeaters and taking training to install software is a lot. Again to add each switch will cost again $150. I am still not sure why casetta switch to this is 3 times more expensive

Rightnow, I am using $20 wifi switch which I can talk to goolge to turn off/on which helps me a lot. But integrating with Kscape is a huge benefit.

I am sure I am missing something. But my use case is just for Kscape. Spending $400 for controller and $150 for switch and buy repeaters and taking training to install software is a lot. Again to add each switch will cost again $150. I am still not sure why casetta switch to this is 3 times more expensive

Rightnow, I am using $20 wifi switch which I can talk to goolge to turn off/on which helps me a lot. But integrating with Kscape is a huge benefit.

There are a lot of reasons.

Future support and timely development. Buying a $20 switch is great, but how reliable is the brand going to be 6 months, 5 years, or further down the road when Google changes something in their integration? Lutron is an established brand that can afford to maintain a software team and with relationships to receive advance notification of upcoming changes to partner code.

Hardware integration. You're using a $20 switch, but also requires the investment of a Google device to make it more than a $3 switch. That's comparable to a Lutron switch and a Lutron controller. The Lutrons are more expensive, but they're going to have a tighter integration, being from the same brand and developed by the same engineers. Again, if Lutron pushes a controller software update, you likely won't have to wait for them to develop and push a new software update for the switch, it will be simultaneous.

Network reliability. With a Lutron system running from a controller, your system is going to work even if your network goes out because all processing and control is done in the controller, not on google or amazon's servers.

Greater capabilities. Your switch and google give you on/off. Spend more and you can get dimming. What the Lutron tech offers as you get higher up the ladder is more granular capabilities for automation and programming. Scenes and settings. Direct, custom integrations with third party hardware, such as Kaleidescape. The higher-end controller is required to interpret the cues from Kaleidescape and convert those cues into scenes that you have full control over. There are so many options that go over and above what an off the shelf system can do when you think about it.

When you hit play, all the lights go out and the window shades close. But if you hit pause in the middle of a movie, you don't want the shades to come up, you just want a little soft lighting - maybe only your walkway lighting and not the ceiling lights - so you can use the restroom. And when you hit play to start the movie again, you want the system to know that the ceiling lights are already off and to not toggle that power switch and turn them back on, but to only turn off the walkway lighting.

Do you want the window shades to open again as the credits start to roll? Maybe, maybe not, maybe yes if it was a matinee and it's still light outside, maybe no if it's already past sunset and you're going to be going to bed anyway.

The more capability you want, and the more complexity in the options, the more you need a separate controller to handle it. The Caseta hub or Google Home aren't going to offer intricate variations on actions like a controller will.

You have to decide if it's worth it if all you want is the quick 'turn the lights on when the credits start' functionality. If that's really all you're planning to implement, I'd probably say get a Caseta switch with a Pico remote and stick the remote by your chair. When you see the credits roll, hit the button and tell your family it was automated. If you want to build an entire theater lighting system with enter/exit lighting, preview lighting, restroom lighting, party lighting, sports lighting, and more, get a RA3 system.

I'm not aware of any limiting agreements, but there is a practical limit, which is that any work that we do along those lines has to be worked into the engineering schedule, go through QA, and then be maintained and (crucially) supported until roughly the end of time. That represents a significant investment into a space that continues to change rapidly, with companies and products entering and exiting the market, and new standards like Matter that are being promoted but that have not yet really achieved a critical mass. We have to be careful how we allocate finite resources, and choose opportunities that will be worth the investment.

Meanwhile, though, we have an extensive, publicly available control protocol that is documented and free to be used by anyone who wants to integrate with Kaleidescape products. There's nothing stopping anybody who is interested in doing so from building a Kaleidescape plugin for, say, Homebridge/HOOBS, IFTTT, Hubitat, or other similar solutions that are more targeted to the DIY market and that run either on inexpensive hardware or as a service on a NAS or similar device.
I did not know about the document; thanks for posting the link; it looks like light reading. :)

Back