• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

SOLD: Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446 (3)

sfisher

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I have 3 Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446s for sale. These were purchased in 2017 and are 2U units (note that newer Radiance Pros are 1U). Each has 8 inputs and 4 outputs. Inputs 1 and 2 are 18G, the rest are 9G. Outputs 1 and 2 are 9G, Output 3 is for Audio, and Output 4 is 18G. All are working fine and running the latest production firmware.

Includes power supply and remote control. No other accessories. Does not include original packaging.

Price: $2,750 each plus shipping and Paypal fees. Shipping from New Jersey.

PM if interested or have any questions. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks.

Are these all in perfect working condition ?
Any dents or scratches ?
Is there a chance to ship to Germany ?

They all work fine. There is a little wear and tear as you can see in the photos, but certainly no dents and I can't see any scratches. I am willing to ship anywhere, but the cost of shipping is on top of the cost of the units (as is the cost of the paypal fees).

I assume you are selling those Kaleidescape power supplies separately (last pic)? (I think you'd find some owners might buy them as back ups to their relevant players, i.e. M300)

Jim

Would it be possible for you to determine shipping costs to Geeman
They all work fine. There is a little wear and tear as you can see in the photos, but certainly no dents and I can't see any scratches. I am willing to ship anywhere, but the cost of shipping is on top of the cost of the units (as is the cost of the paypal fees).
Would it be possible for you to check shipping costs for one or for all three units to Germany incl. tracking and insurance ?

thanks in advance

I assume you are selling those Kaleidescape power supplies separately (last pic)? (I think you'd find some owners might buy them as back ups to their relevant players, i.e. M300)

Jim
Ooops! I showed the wrong photo!!! I meant to show the Radiance Pro power supplies! I have now corrected the photo.

More of a technical noob question as I may be interested if it fits my situation :

I’m running an Anthem MRX740 to a HDMI balmy (due to distance and signal dropping from a long HDMI) to my projector (Sony VPLXW6000ES), where would this be connected in the chain? Would it still provide improvement even if my projector doesn’t have an anamorphic lens (as far as I understand it doesn’t).

Maybe @cinelife can chime in to help better explain. I’m just trying to see if it’s worth adding one of these to my setup.

Thanks again and sorry for if it’s a dumb q!

Last edited:
The Radiance Pro has many many capabilities, which are summarized pretty well in the introduction of the manual: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Radiance_Pro_Manual_070621.pdf.

In addition to capabilities you might expect (superior scaling, superior deinterlacing, superior support for calibration), one of the most impactful features is its HDR dynamic tone mapping to provide significantly improved HDR performance.

The Radiance Pro can either (a) be put in front of the Anthem, in which all the sources would go into the Radiance Pro, and then the Radiance Pro separately feeds the Anthem and the Projector, or (b) the Anthem would feed the Radiance Pro which would then feed the projector.

The Radiance Pro has many many capabilities, which are summarized pretty well in the introduction of the manual: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Radiance_Pro_Manual_070621.pdf.

In addition to capabilities you might expect (superior scaling, superior deinterlacing, superior support for calibration), one of the most impactful features is its HDR dynamic tone mapping to provide significantly improved HDR performance.

The Radiance Pro can either (a) be put in front of the Anthem, in which all the sources would go into the Radiance Pro, and then the Radiance Pro separately feeds the Anthem and the Projector, or (b) the Anthem would feed the Radiance Pro which would then feed the projector.
do you happen to know whether there would be signal degradation from using an HDMI Balun/HD extender to feed either the radiance pro to the balun to the projector or the anthem to the balun to the projector? I asked my install team and they said no to signal degradation but the balun/extender was literally the only way to make that long cable run work and if there is inherent signal loss there, i don’t know if it would make sense to put anything in front of it if the signal is going to be squeezed by the balun/extender.

Fwiw, it’s a high end balun/extended according to my dealer/installer. I just looked on top of my projector, it is a “dl hd70” from digitalinx

Summary: I have an AV cabinet where the Anthem receiver makes an HDMI run to the projector, but it plugs into a balun/extender, which sits on top of the projector, which plugs into the projector

In any case, if this is something that would provide benefit (I’ll also call and ask my dealer tomorrow as well), I’d probably be interested in snagging one of these from you.

Thanks again for getting into the weeds with me about this. Total noob but I am looking for the best home theater experience possible for what we are doing.

Last edited:
Man after watching and reading some reviews, I think the ease of nonlinear stretching and not having to worry about lens memory would have me sold on this immediately. I think I’ll send you a PM shortly to proceed.

Do these need to be programmed and optimized? I know folks say they send their units to Chris Deering to optimize. Would that be the suggestion?

I was a beta tester during the Radiance Pro development. The models offered for sale here are the pre-revision models which I am very familiar with. There was one previous version with an earlier design than the model on the listing here but those were only given to the beta testers I believe.

Input and Outputs are modular on this model. There are input and output modules that you can swap and reconfigure relatively easily. Each modules have a pair of input or output connectors.

From the pictures, these units have 1x18Gbps and 3x10.2Gbps input modules, 1x18Gbps and 1x10.2Gbps output modules. Please note that 10.2Gbps modules are marked 9Ghz here. 10.2Gbps bandwidth is adequate for any signal type up to 4k24 HDR at 12 bits or 4k60 HDR at 8 bits (dithered to appear similar to 12 bits).

You need an 18Gbps input for most streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku, Nvidia Shield etc. because they require 4K60 at 12bit capable HDMI chipset on the input device to send HDR signals. Please not that you don't need a matching 18Gbps output card. For example, you can have your Apple TV connected to the 18Gbps input but have your projector connected to the 10.2Gbps output on the Radiance Pro.

You don't need an 18Gbps input for Kaleidescape players or Oppo disc players because they can be configured to work within 10.2Gbps without losing any picture or audio quality.

If you need more 18Gbps inputs and outputs, you can purchase them from Lumagen and easily swap with one of the 10.2Gbps modules.

Switching between devices are faster between different modules than the inputs on the same module. For instance, switching from Input 1 to any input other than Input 2 is quicker than switching from input 1 to 2. If you have less than 8 source devices, It is best to connect them to the odd or even inputs only for fast switching between devices.

Lumagen Radiance Pro has a higher voltage output on its HDMI outputs than most standard source devices. I believe there is a hidden menu to increase it even further but confirm this with the Lumagen support.

You may not need the HDMI extender at all. I would try it with one of the Lumagen Radiance Pro outputs directly into your projector first. On longer cable runs, you will have better luck with 10.2Gbps outputs. I would give the 18Gbps output a try first anyway. If you have no luck in either case then try the HDMI extender after the 18Gbps output.

If you don't want to reconfigure your inputs from the Anthem to The Radiance Pro, you can have the Anthem AVR output connected to one of the 18Gbps Radiance Pro inputs and follow the same directions as above on the Radiance Pro output side.

The reason why you want to connect all your source devices to the Radiance Pro rather than the AVR is simple. You want to send the purest signal to the video processor. Some AVRs do a good job passing through the video signal without alterations while others add multiple signal conversions back and forth to overlay 'volume' and other text. Typically, the inner designs of AVRs are not very well documented on the video side and it is difficult to tell if the output signal matches the input. It is safer to completely bypass the AVR and connect all directly into the Radiance Pro. For example, a Yamaha AVR I used to own was adding visible dither even in the pass through mode.

The next section I am going to type here is a bit for the advance users. So approach with caution and always double check with the Lumagen support before attempting any of it.

The pre-revision I/O board has a bit less voltage drop on the inputs and outputs closer to the FPGA board. You might want to reconfigure the 18Gbps input and output modules so they are closer to the FPGA board. This move is for the most finicky 18Gpbs input and output scenarios. As always, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. If you have good luck without reconfiguring input and output cards, ignore this paragraph.

On the pre-revision vs post-revision Radiance Pro, they are functionally equal. The revisions addressed the voltage regulation on the HDMI modules and the FPGA cooling. The post-revision models are in a 1U chassis vs 2U in height. The asking price on the listing here is so good. I wouldn't worry about the minor changes.

Man after watching and reading some reviews, I think the ease of nonlinear stretching and not having to worry about lens memory would have me sold on this immediately. I think I’ll send you a PM shortly to proceed.

Do these need to be programmed and optimized? I know folks say they send their units to Chris Deering to optimize. Would that be the suggestion?
A large portion of the Radiance Pro's value is in the calibration and HDR to SDR conversion. Both require precision instruments to dial in the best settings. Some hobbyist buy the necessary probes and software to DIY these. Accurate probes are extremely expensive, the calibration software license is similarly expensive and there is a lengthy learning curve. Although hiring a pro to do this task isn't exactly cheap either, it is still miniscule compared to the cost of hardware, software and your time. Having a well dialed in Radiance Pro is very rewarding on a nice projector setup. I highly recommend the Radiance Pro and a pro calibration. Kris is well known in the industry and needs no introduction.

I was a beta tester during the Radiance Pro development. The models offered for sale here are the pre-revision models which I am very familiar with. There was one previous version with an earlier design than the model on the listing here but those were only given to the beta testers I believe.

Input and Outputs are modular on this model. There are input and output modules that you can swap and reconfigure relatively easily. Each modules have a pair of input or output connectors.

From the pictures, these units have 1x18Gbps and 3x10.2Gbps input modules, 1x18Gbps and 1x10.2Gbps output modules. Please note that 10.2Gbps modules are marked 9Ghz here. 10.2Gbps bandwidth is adequate for any signal type up to 4k24 HDR at 12 bits or 4k60 HDR at 8 bits (dithered to appear similar to 12 bits).

You need an 18Gbps input for most streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku, Nvidia Shield etc. because they require 4K60 at 12bit capable HDMI chipset on the input device to send HDR signals. Please not that you don't need a matching 18Gbps output card. For example, you can have your Apple TV connected to the 18Gbps input but have your projector connected to the 10.2Gbps output on the Radiance Pro.

You don't need an 18Gbps input for Kaleidescape players or Oppo disc players because they can be configured to work within 10.2Gbps without losing any picture or audio quality.

If you need more 18Gbps inputs and outputs, you can purchase them from Lumagen and easily swap with one of the 10.2Gbps modules.

Switching between devices are faster between different modules than the inputs on the same module. For instance, switching from Input 1 to any input other than Input 2 is quicker than switching from input 1 to 2. If you have less than 8 source devices, It is best to connect them to the odd or even inputs only for fast switching between devices.

Lumagen Radiance Pro has a higher voltage output on its HDMI outputs than most standard source devices. I believe there is a hidden menu to increase it even further but confirm this with the Lumagen support.

You may not need the HDMI extender at all. I would try it with one of the Lumagen Radiance Pro outputs directly into your projector first. On longer cable runs, you will have better luck with 10.2Gbps outputs. I would give the 18Gbps output a try first anyway. If you have no luck in either case then try the HDMI extender after the 18Gbps output.

If you don't want to reconfigure your inputs from the Anthem to The Radiance Pro, you can have the Anthem AVR output connected to one of the 18Gbps Radiance Pro inputs and follow the same directions as above on the Radiance Pro output side.

The reason why you want to connect all your source devices to the Radiance Pro rather than the AVR is simple. You want to send the purest signal to the video processor. Some AVRs do a good job passing through the video signal without alterations while others add multiple signal conversions back and forth to overlay 'volume' and other text. Typically, the inner designs of AVRs are not very well documented on the video side and it is difficult to tell if the output signal matches the input. It is safer to completely bypass the AVR and connect all directly into the Radiance Pro. For example, a Yamaha AVR I used to own was adding visible dither even in the pass through mode.

The next section I am going to type here is a bit for the advance users. So approach with caution and always double check with the Lumagen support before attempting any of it.

The pre-revision I/O board has a bit less voltage drop on the inputs and outputs closer to the FPGA board. You might want to reconfigure the 18Gbps input and output modules so they are closer to the FPGA board. This move is for the most finicky 18Gpbs input and output scenarios. As always, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. If you have good luck without reconfiguring input and output cards, ignore this paragraph.

On the pre-revision vs post-revision Radiance Pro, they are functionally equal. The revisions addressed the voltage regulation on the HDMI modules and the FPGA cooling. The post-revision models are in a 1U chassis vs 2U in height. The asking price on the listing here is so good. I wouldn't worry about the minor changes.
Thanks so much for this detailed post. A lot of it is beyond my level but I’m going to share it with my dealer/installer and hopefully we can get the ball rolling!

Would these units need to be sent to Lumagen or Chris Deering to program/tweak for my theater?

Also as a general question, why do people use both anamorphic lenses with the Lumagen if the Lumagen can achieve NLS? Is there an advantage to having both in a setup? Thanks again for the really detailed response for me

Back