• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Lumagen Radiance and Detail Enhancement setting in Kscape

Peter Nielsen

Hello,

Until recently I was using Kaleidescape without a scaler and had the "Select Detail Enhancement for HDMI Video" setting set to MEDIUM. I really liked this setting - it's perfect for my preference.

I recently got a Lumagen Radiance 2143. Now I would like to set the Kaledescape player setting to NONE (as recommended), figuring that it makes sense that the scaler does the enhancement instead of the Kscape player.

However, how do I set the Lumagen controls to achieve approximately the same effect as the MEDIUM setting in Kscape? I'd appreciate any setting suggestions before "reinventing the wheel". I'm sure someone else has done this before and can serve up perfect settings for me ;)

Thanks,
Peter

The video and audio processing in Kaleidescape M-Class hardware is very good, all you need the Lumagen for is source selection and CMS.

Don't forget that the Radiance also provides DARBEE processing - which might work best/better if Kscape is not doing any enhancements.

Kscape's recommendation on the settings page is "NONE This setting is recommended if you are using an external video processor"

So my original question remains...

(BTW, one reason for the scaler is to get zooming functions. Unfortunately a lot of music video material is missing bookmarks or sloppily bookmarked. It's a shame, but it's a fact...)

On the Radiance Kaleidescape input:
Menu>Video Setup>Other>Enhance>Sharpness
You should find parameters for Horiz/Vert/Diag sharpness (edges) and texture (fine detail) controls. I assume these are the numbers you're seeking suggestions on?
Complicated, and trial error.
Which is why I said at post #2 just use the advanced video settings in the Kaleidescape settings menu. It's much easier, and it works. As you've noted.
I'm a Lumagen beta tester and that's the way I do it. Do not be afraid to use the video settings in the Kaleidescape player to optimise your video, even if you have the luxury of a Radiance VP.

[note: I'm not familiar with 2143, I jumped from XE/XS to Radiance Pro and skipped 2xxx...certainly with earlier Radiance platforms Lumagen recommended leaving these enhancement controls at their default 0 setting]

Last edited:
Yep, that's exactly what I'm trying to get suggestions for. What "level" of sharpness number corresponds to Kaleidescape's "Medium" setting.

I know I can probably come up with them by trial and error, but that can be tedious... I was wondering if someone hasn't already done this and could save me some work by suggesting a setting that comes close (probably same number for all settings). :D

...I know I can probably come up with them by trial and error, but that can be tedious...

Welcome to the world of video processors, you need to be prepared to invest time, trial and error. Plug and play they are certainly not.

I can only re-iterate the video/audio hardware in the Kaleidescape M-Class is very good, and don't be afraid to use the advanced video-audio settings. The analog audio outputs of my M-Class players sound just as good as my dedicated DirectStream DAC. De-interlacing and up-scaling of SD content is hard to pick any difference between the Kaleidescape player or Radiance on my 90" screen.

I never have any functionality issues when the Kaleidescape player is connected directly to a display, but when there is a video processor between the 2 then things can go whacky from time-to-time.

Ha! It's not like I'm new to video processors. Back in the late 90's I got a Vigatec GVC-1280 processor (remember that one?). However, as projectors got better I decided that I didn't need one any more and dumped it when I got a new projector with HDMI back in 2008. Since then I never felt I needed a scaler until now when Kaleidescape's sloppy bookmarking job made me need a device that gives me "Zoom in" functionality since my projector does not have that. I wish Kscape would just add a zoom feature, but I'm not going to hold my breath and decided to get a processor to solve the problem.

Back in the days, the Vigatec took a long time and many software versions and bug reports to get to work "sort of right". Fast forward more than 15 years, the Lumagen Radiance truly is 100% Plug&Play. It worked correctly right out of the box for me.

The problem with the setting we're talking about here though, is that there's no "wrong" or "right" really. That's why I'm looking to hear other people's experience and settings. However, I guess there are not as many Radiance+Kscape owners around as I thought :/

Back