• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Low power mode

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I'm guessing that many Kaleidescape owners are increasingly conscious of the energy waste in our homes... we insulate doors & windows, buy high-efficiency appliances, shut off lights when we don't need them.

Well, of course a lot of that work pales in comparison to what happens to our energy consumption when we installed our Kaleidescape. Let's be honest, we've just installed a small datacenter in our homes complete with an always-on NetApp system. I have no idea how much power it uses, but it's probably more than just about anything in the home other than HVAC or pool equipment. (Anyone measured a fully-loaded K-scape server?)

Imagine the Kaleidescape servers sitting there sucking up power even when we travel or don't use it for days, not to mention the ones in yachts, planes, and second homes that get used less than once a month but are sitting there spinning all those drives... seems a shame.

I understand part of the appeal of the system is that it's always ready and you have instant access to movies... and it's constantly keeping itself up-to-date, downloading guides, etc.

But I wish there were at least an OPTION to put it into some low-power state where the drives spin down if it's not in use for more than a set number of hours or days. The server could stay on, but the drives spin down, just like in a PC. Yes, there could be a seriously long delay when you went to use your player, and some owners would hate that, but let me decide if that's OK for me.

So give us the option, Kaleidescape, of having the drives spin down after X hours or days of inactivity and reducing our energy usage.

--josh

I wonder if it spins down hard drives when not in use for X time period. I also think a lot of the power demand will depend on fans, which depends on how well ventilated the unit is. I think they should heed your point - green is a big deal.

I'll second the bump. I would be interested to know if K is actively pursuing a green initiative like this with the existing systems, as well as the new hardware like the Alto going forward.

The Cinema One (and Alto) has a low power mode and spins down its hard disk when entering idle mode. You can also select a very low power standby mode via the OSD settings although you cannot use this mode when grouping multiple units (library sharing would not work).

Back