• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Looking into a setup

godsey1

Hi all. This is my first post, and wanted to get some information for what setup I would need to get a pretty good setup for my house using a Kaleidescape system.

I have been looking at the Cinema 1 system. I have around 340 movies on Vudu, some disc conversions and some Ultraviolet. I want to keep those, and put the rest of the DVD's and blu rays on the Cinema 1 system. I think that would be ideal in my situation.

I also have around 20 3D movies that I play on my PS3 system, as I have been reading on here, the 3D for these systems is still a ways off. My TV is a Sony 52" 3D ready Bravia.

Does this look like a solid system that I need for my setup?

Thanks for your time,

Tony

I am going to add to this thread, as I too am looking into a system. So thought it would be a good newbie thread. I come from a different background. I am 100% Blu-ray system and look to expand. I have a Dune setup using a nas. I will note, I own all 200 or so of my physical disks.

Is there a matrix of k systems storage that will work for me. I know I need a disk storage system for the Blu-ray disks, but what server will work. Are duplication sizes on k the same size as disk copies? There are all sorts of rack servers, which ones supports 4tb cartridges, which I would assume gives you 8tb of disk storage?

Finally, how loud are the 1 and 3u racks? I live in Nyc and so my server room is a shared closet, with a proper rack within. I have a Synology NAS in there today and it is whisper quiet.

Thank you

I've just sent you a PM.

Jim

For a BR collection of that size, and the ability to expand, you will need at a minimum a 1U Server. The 1U will hold a max of four drives, three of which are used for storage, one for RAID. The largest capacity drive currently available is 4TB, so 12TB of actual storage, assuming you have four 4TB installed.

The 3U Server will hold Fourteen drives, Twelve for storage, One for RAID, One used as a "hot spare" in case of a drive failure. You can do the math.

Content transfers are bit-for-bit, no compression transfers, whatever is on the disc is transferred to the drive. A 30GB movie will take up 30GB of space on the drive.

Neither of these is silent, and the 3U is particularly loud. It is easily the loudest component in my racks.

Jim

The 3U server is a little on the noisy side. At one point my server was kept in my study and I found the noise distracting.

I had a carpenter build a cabinet lined with "Acoustiblok"..... peace and serenity then returned.

OK, so KSERVER-1500 it is. As for an player, how is the m700 as a player. As I am space constrained, that might be the best choice, given it also has a player. Though I don't see the m700 discussed much, is it discontinued? What is the m700's compatibility with the Cinema 1.

The Cinema 1 doesn't seem to make much sense, if you have a Blu-ray collection.

Is there any printed literature that gives the decibel level of a KSERVER 1500, using 4tb disks? If dB levels are too high, this might preclude me from getting a server and might be forced to get dv700 and two Cinema 1's. My concern here is that K has some other hardware in the works.

Hmm. ..

Last edited:
The M700 Vault is available as part of the Premiere Line and is not compatible with the new Cinema One. The M700's have probably not been discussed much as the units have been out a while and appear to be very reliable.

The M700 plus a server is a good two box solution for a BR collection. The disadvantage of an M700 is that it cannot play from the tray as is possible from the M500 player therefore media must be imported prior to playback.

A single Cinema One can hold circa 600 DVD's
...seems a fair solution for sub 600 DVD collection.

I have not seen any information regarding sound pressure levels.

There's always hardware "in the works" K does not often pre-announce future products....they are released when ready.

The M700 is as described by JDS.

Given that you are 100% BR, and already have 200+ BR movies, the Cinema One line (old and new) is not good option. Although the new C1 will handle BR, you are limited to 200 max (based on current limitations).

Jim

Cinelife.

In 2007 you made the following comment.

From the front of the 1U (presumed to be measured directly at the unit (inches away): 34 dBA @ 20 degrees (c); 42 dBA @ 35 c

Thank you! This is already a huge help.

Yes, that information came directly from K (I did not measure the 1U myself). You indicated your current system was silent, so I considered that when I indicated they (1U/3U) are not silent.

Jim

The M700 Vault is available as part of the Premiere Line and is not compatible with the new Cinema One. The M700's have probably not been discussed much as the units have been out a while and appear to be very reliable.

One quick correction: the M700 can be used with the new Cinema One but only as a vault. You cannot use it as a player if it is grouped with a Cinema One. In other words, the M700 will behave as a DV700.

One quick correction: the M700 can be used with the new Cinema One but only as a vault. You cannot use it as a player if it is grouped with a Cinema One. In other words, the M700 will behave as a DV700.

I am confused. Either the M700 will work with the new C1 or it won't. If it will, it adds another player so you have the ability to add a second zone to play video/audio.

This is how it works with the old C1.

John

Simply put, the M700's internal "Player" will NOT work with the new C1. None of the M-Class Player's currently work with the new C1. The storage aspect of the M700 functions like the DV700 (see Croptop's comment above).

Jim

Back