• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Longish Delays for movie start/ menu navigation

JerryL

I have 3 3U servers with 1705 movies and 1283 albums. Somewhere in the past few months Ive noticed that the system response has slowed down. I don't know whats causing it. Sometimes the menus will work slowly and sometimes they work quickly. Likewise to begin a movie, sometimes it takes what seems to be quite a while to begin; and other times it fires right up. This also applies to when the stop button is pressed. Sometimes the screen stays blank for what seems like minutes, though I suspect its more like 30-40 seconds. My theory is the sync between the 3 servers with a lot of content adds time. Any thoughts?

The biggest collection I have used on a K system was 3000 plus movies and I didn't notice any delays.

A gradual but intermittent "slow down" that has happened over the last few months may be indicative of a degrading component if no settings etc have been changed.

I wonder are the "slow" movies on just one particular server? Maybe K has information on individual server performance that owners are not privy too.

I always suspect the network first when it comes to a K system but I have had problems with a "slow" server in the past (not a K system). The attending computer expert told me it was not a server problem. I asked him to explain that why one server was 4Centigrade hotter than the others....I had it changed out and the problem was resolved.

An infrared thermometer gun....every home should have one!

I would check the individual performance of each server and check if anything is a bit warmer that it should be (I have changed switches in the past that have started to warm up).

I hope the situation gets resolved before any further degradation in performance.

Good idea. Ill have to check which movies bog down. The thing is it doesn't seem to be repeatable!

Jerry, I like JDS's comments as well. I do think perhaps something in your "chain" may be the culprit (LAN issues??).

I had a client complain about something similar last year and changing out his switch solved the problem.

Jim

I got an email from Tom Barnett telling me they've done a lot to improve this in a new software version (4.3) which they updated me to and I was home before and tried it out and it seems to have resolved the issue. Menus scroll without ever getting hung up- that used to happen all the time over the past month or so. There used to be a few seconds pause when going between collections to the list view. Now it occurs immediately. Like wise when stopping a movie. There is virtually no pause now. And also when watching a TV series and selecting a new episode from the play options feature, there used to be a long long load time- now its extremely quick.

All I can say whatever they did, it worked!

Once again Kaleidescape has shown their commitment to customer satisfaction. :)

That's great Jerry!:)

(You are too important to ignore!;):D

Jim

You're funny. :)

Im testing out my Star Wars script now... the speed in going from one scene to the next is improved.

My system (film and music quantities) is similar to JerryL's and I can agree there has been a noticible degridation in response times in particular after stopping a film and getting the film selection interface screen to appear. Checked and validated my LAN and components (sniffer deployed) and no issues observed so let's hope version 4.3 improves this and returns performance back to the 'old and great' levels.

Mark, email them to let them know and Id bet they will push 4.3 through to you. I've used it some more with no problems whatsoever. A real nice improvement.

Back