• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Loading times for movies

superpoppa

Just curious more than anything being new to K, I have gigabit wired Ethernet connections for my entire equipment rack.

When I launch a 4K HDR movie on the Strato C, it takes about 8-10 seconds before the movie plays from a blank screen. Is that normal for most folks?

I don't see much delay in the K starting, maybe a few seconds. Are you sure that isn't your projector syncing to 24 Hz and HDR perhaps?

Just curious more than anything being new to K, I have gigabit wired Ethernet connections for my entire equipment rack.

When I launch a 4K HDR movie on the Strato C, it takes about 8-10 seconds before the movie plays from a blank screen. Is that normal for most folks?

I am seeing this as well but thought so far it is my lumagen. I am new to the lumagen and K as well and on a old JVC 4910 without hdr. So not sure if that experience will change once I have my new preorder JVC in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There can be delays when selecting HDR content while the EDID info is shared, even more so if you have any other devices in the video chain (processors, switches, VP's, Receiver's, etc. as implied by TrackZ).

Jim

I don't see much delay in the K starting, maybe a few seconds. Are you sure that isn't your projector syncing to 24 Hz and HDR perhaps?

Yea that could be it. Using a JVC NX7.

Just wanted to make sure in case I had to look for gremlins in my network.

Seems to behave the same on non-HDR HD content as well.

Assuming your K-player is configured to display movies in their native format, it is not uncommon to see a delay as your video devices switch from the 60fps of the K interface to the movie’s frame rate (typically 24fps). As Jim eluded to above, this delay is often more noticeable with a more complex HDMI path.

If you’re not concerned with watching movies in their native frame rate (or you just want to see if it makes a difference), you could configure the player to output everything at the same frame rate and see if the delay is any less.

Good luck,
Andy

Yea that could be it. Using a JVC NX7.

Just wanted to make sure in case I had to look for gremlins in my network.

Seems to behave the same on non-HDR HD content as well.
Here's an old reply from Mike Kobb @ Kaleidscape on that particular subject.

I've moved to "no frame rate changes", with "telecine-inverse" on in my JVC N7, more for audio-sync issues I battle with on some titles when playing back at 23.976, but obviously this set-up reduces switching delays.

Here's an old reply from Mike Kobb @ Kaleidscape on that particular subject.

I've moved to "no frame rate changes", with "telecine-inverse" on in my JVC N7, more for audio-sync issues I battle with on some titles when playing back at 23.976, but obviously this set-up reduces switching delays.

Wow that’s a fantastic explanation. Thank you for passing on that post. I’m definitely going to play with this and see if that’s what I’m experiencing.

The reality is if my worst case is 10 seconds of delay before watch this wonderful quality, I’m still a very happy camper. But curious to see the effect of changing these settings.

Since we both have an N7 is there anything you changed on the PJ side?

Wow that’s a fantastic explanation. Thank you for passing on that post. I’m definitely going to play with this and see if that’s what I’m experiencing.

The reality is if my worst case is 10 seconds of delay before watch this wonderful quality, I’m still a very happy camper. But curious to see the effect of changing these settings.

Since we both have an N7 is there anything you changed on the PJ side?
Yes - go into the N7 menu "Picture Adjust" > "Motion Control" > "Clear Motion Drive" and turn on "Inverse Telecine"

Yes - go into the N7 menu "Picture Adjust" > "Motion Control" > "Clear Motion Drive" and turn on "Inverse Telecine"

Awesome thank you.

What are you using in your setup for the K player web settings?

Meaning video output behavior, OSD refresh rate, hdmi metadata, and color sampling (not sure the last two make a difference but could be wrong).

Awesome thank you.

What are you using in your setup for the K player web settings?

Meaning video output behavior, OSD refresh rate, hdmi metadata, and color sampling (not sure the last two make a difference but could be wrong).

Everything is at default - Minimize display mode changes (default).

So did some tests, ran all sorts of permutations with the K settings we talked about + the N7 telecine on/off. It always averaged about 11s regardless of the setup.

I’m starting to lean towards it being my network to load the movie. Might play with that to see what difference it makes.

The K is using video HDMI only out to my Trinnov Alt16 to my N7. So nothing else in the chain.

This was interesting to learn more on the subject. Thank you all for the great input!

So did some tests, ran all sorts of permutations with the K settings we talked about + the N7 telecine on/off. It always averaged about 11s regardless of the setup.

I’m starting to lean towards it being my network to load the movie. Might play with that to see what difference it makes.

The K is using video HDMI only out to my Trinnov Alt16 to my N7. So nothing else in the chain.

This was interesting to learn more on the subject. Thank you all for the great input!
Doubt it has anything to do with your network - as Jim says it's more likely HDMI related. JVC were notorioulsy slow to change/switch and although the Z series improved that - there is in some cases still delays in switching.

For what it's worth, starting 4K playback on my Strato C, playing content from my Terra server, takes about 8-1/2 seconds from the moment I press the play button to the first image appearing. So I don't think the numbers you're seeing are unusually large.

For what it's worth, starting 4K playback on my Strato C, playing content from my Terra server, takes about 8-1/2 seconds from the moment I press the play button to the first image appearing. So I don't think the numbers you're seeing are unusually large.

That’s helpful having some context from other users.

@MikeKobb What is your chain of how the K is connected to your tv/projector? Also for the select video output behavior in the kscape strato c option what do you have selected? Do you have any sort of processors in your chain?

@MikeKobb What is your chain of how the K is connected to your tv/projector? Also for the select video output behavior in the kscape strato c option what do you have selected? Do you have any sort of processors in your chain?

I ran that test on the Strato C that feeds my Crestron NVX distribution system. No processors in the chain, player set to minimize display mode changes. I played 4K UHD so there would be no SDR/HDR switch. So, that's pure startup time, no HDMI renegotiation or reset.

I ran that test on the Strato C that feeds my Crestron NVX distribution system. No processors in the chain, player set to minimize display mode changes. I played 4K UHD so there would be no SDR/HDR switch. So, that's pure startup time, no HDMI renegotiation or reset.

Thank you. So does this mean you play this at 60fps? I was always thinking that the frame rate was one factor that caused the longer handshakes.

In all this it is good to know that the first about 8 seconds is “normal” startup time. Thanks once again !

Correct, my players are all set to output 60fps, because my displays all do good inverse-telecine, or are in zones where I'm not watching closely enough to care (e.g. the kitchen). See my old post that steelman found and kindly linked above for waaaaaaay more information about that than you'd ever want. ;-)

Correct, my players are all set to output 60fps, because my displays all do good inverse-telecine, or are in zones where I'm not watching closely enough to care (e.g. the kitchen). See my old post that steelman found and kindly linked above for waaaaaaay more information about that than you'd ever want. ;-)

Thank you !

Back