• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Licensing-VHS

Steven

Hi,

Just curious, as I know that this is a never-ending, theoretical until litigated topic...if a Kscape owner has a VHS tape of a movie, would it be 'legal' to have a copy of that movie on a Kscape system? Just curious...

I won't touch the 8-track version of this question :->

Thanks, Steven

As you know, there is no method available to directly import VHS into a K system. It would require recoding the VHS movie to DVD, and that, IIRC, requires defeating/eliminating the copy protection mechanism on the VHS (normally Macrovision), and therein lies the problem (if you believe there IS a problem). This arguably violates copyright law.

Importing a DVD to a K system doesn't actually remove the CSS and therefore doesn't violate the license with the CCA. (So far a successful argument.)

Given that VHS is not controlled by the CCA, and given that most recent laws/rulings deal with copying "digital" media, the "fair use" argument might be more successful with VHS, especially because it is rapidly becoming obsolete (and already considered obsolete by many). (Don't take that as legal advice, I have not looked into the VHS question in many, many years.:D)

Jim

I believe, based on what the licensing stipulates, that it would be perfectly fine if a Kscape owner has a VHS tape of a movie. It would be 'legal' to have a copy of that movie on a Kscape system. I believe the licensing states that the owner of the system "must physically own the MEDIA". It does not state DVD or CD. It states MEDIA and VHS is a type of media.

True, but the question is "how to get the media into the server."

At present, we can only import from a DVD format, and that presents the "transfer from VHS to DVD" copyright issue I mentioned above. Nothing that I'm aware of in K's CCA licensing agreement addresses VHS (and it shouldn't) which is why I opined that standard copyright law might still apply in regards to the VHS content (meaning I "think" such transfers are considered a copyright violation, at least by the content owners.)

Jim

Presumably you guys are discussing this as an abstract legal theory. In practice, I doubt anyone gives a hoot whether a few VHS tape transfers are done. I mean, really...

Presumably you guys are discussing this as an abstract legal theory. In practice, I doubt anyone gives a hoot whether a few VHS tape transfers are done. I mean, really...

Of course!:D (Just acknowledging that the laws affecting DVD do not apply to VHS, and that creates it's own set of issues.)

Completely agree, I'm sure no one cares about an owner moving his VHS content to DVD.:)

Jim

VHS Could Matter

PTRUBEY,

Actually, I have a significant VHS collection. Before people collected DVDs, believe it or not, they owned VHS tapes. While the actualy conversion process of VHS to Kscape may be abstract, I don't feel that the legal repercussions are....

There are a lot of interesting aspects of the licensing to consider, in my opinion. For instance, if I buy a DVD, then my baby scratches it in her Winnie the Pooh digital story book, can I then legally rent it to import it to Kscape, since I've legally bought it?

I can come up with however many scenarios you'd like, but I think that they would all have some merit....

Steven

I believe under the DCMA and K scape user agreement your scratched DVD does not entitle you to break the encryption on the rental DVD.

Strictly speaking of course. If you are talking about the general principles of "Fair Use" then I think you have a stronger argument.

Given the effort required to transfer VHS to DVD it is probably advisable to just buy the DVD version- which will have 2x the resolution and without many other image artifacts and perhaps extras and also clearer sound. However there is some content that is unavailable on DVD. If that is the case I say let your conscience be your guide.

Back