• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Licensing/data service questions

chris

Hi-

I was hoping someone could help me understand the licensing/program guide/movie database costs.

I've seen reference to a few things...

*Full Movie AND Music licenses
*Product Lifetime of Movie AND Music guides
*Unlimited Video Streams Playback License

I read that as of 4/1/08 Lifetime movie guide and software upgrade service as well as BOTH movie and music licenses were included with the purchase of a new K system. What was the case before 4/1/08?

And what of the unlimited video streams? If this is something that you have to buy, how many video streams are allowed to begin with?

I've read through most of the forums and gleamed some info, but would still like some help laying it all out. :) I'm interested on 2 levels. First, I'm a curious guy and I like to know and understand the history of why/how things got to be the way they are. Second, I'm not sure I can jump into a new system directly and so I'm also looking at the used market. So I want to be an informed buyer.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Prior to the latest change a typical system was sold with the following:

--Movie Playback License that included up to 5 simultaneous video streams. (or a Music Server License, or both Movies and Music Licenses) (An owner had the option, and still does, to purchase the Unlimited Streams Video Playback License).

--An annually renewable 1 year subscription to the Movie (or Music, or both) Guide Service (for Metadata) and Software Upgrade Service. (An owner had, and still does, the option to purchase a Lifetime License for the Guide and Software Upgrade Services).

The Movie/Music Playback licenses are for the life of the Server (subject to the 5 simultaneous streams for Movie playback mentioned above).

Note: Although each K System sold included the Movie (or Music, or both) License, it is possible to purchase the Movie or Music Playback License as a separate item. (Might be needed if an owner ever wanted to split up a multiple server system, etc.)

I've intentionally omitted pricing because although there is an MSRP attached to all of the above options, dealers are permitted to adjust pricing for their markets. I'd be happy to share MSRP pricing with you via PM (but if you have a dealer, I'd prefer you contact them directly to get those answers.)

Hope that helps!:)

Jim

Jim-

Thanks so much for all of the clarification. No problem leaving MSRP out (a lot can be found around the forum if you're willing to look hard enough anyway ) :)

I have 2 remaining questions:

1) You noted that some servers have a renewable 1yr. subscription agreement for Movie/Music/Both Metadata. Not that I would consider going without it, but what functionality would be limited if one did not renew this subscription?

2) I noticed on an ad that the owner said that his server "has been green flagged by kscape to be registered to a new owner". What does this mean? Is it necessary? Is this something that any secondhand buyer should be looking for?

Thanks again!
Chris

Chris,

If you were to let the Movie/Music Guide and Software Upgrade Service lapse, you would lose the Metadata function for newly imported DVD's and CD's (meaning you would not get movie/music coverart and content descriptions), and you would not receive the periodic system software upgrades from K (these updates usually add new functions, improve functions, and generally add significant benefits to the user experience).

Giving up the service (by not renewing) is really giving up much of the value a K system has to offer, IMO.

Not sure what the seller means by "green-flagged" by K. If that has meaning, it may be that he is saying K has looked at the system logs for that system and doesn't see any issues. Regarding transferring ownership, all that is needed is for K to be notified that their is a new owner, and the new owner must agree to the terms and conditions of K ownership, and provide appropriate personal info (name, address, email address (for notifications), dealer name (I recommend staying with the original dealer if possible, and assuming they are in your area, but that is not required).

If you are wondering why you must agree to the ownership terms, it is because K's license requires owners to agree that they will only import DVD's (CD's) that they own and maintain in their posession. Without that agreement from you, you will not receive any support from K, including Metadata, Software Upgrades, Tech Support, warranty work, etc..

You should also know that anyone transferring ownership of a Server that contains content, must also transfer the physical content (DVD/CD) to the new owner (unless the new owner already owns the physical DVD/CD). Alternatively, the server content could be deleted, which is not difficult.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Back