• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Legal Stuff

mawilla

A small DVD rental shop closed down in our town recently and sold off its stock. It is illegal to put rented software ie. material that you do not own on the Kscape server, if the software has been sold such as in this case does that therefore mean that material can be put on the machine?

i believe that if you are in physical possesion of the dvd's that are in your library you are in compliance. i take it that you bought some of this 'used' stock. at this point, the dvd's are yours

At ridiculous prices I did buy a few but didn't want to put them on for fear of
any wrong doings from FBI and Kscape. I suppose technically as I own the DVD it is OK but it will still show up as a rented DVD will it not?

Also is the shop (now defunct) in breach of legalities as it sold rental DVDs?

I don't believe the store is doing anything wrong in selling previously rented DVDs... just look in any Blockbuster store and you'll see they do everything they can to sell off overstock of previously rented DVDs.

Similarly, I don't believe you are in violation of Kaleidescape's user agreement, nor DMCA or other law, by loading a disc that you purchased, regardless of whether it was "new" or "previously rented". You paid for it, the disc is now yours, and you can do with it what you like, including loading it on Kaleidescape. (DVDA vs. Kaleidescape lawsuit notwithstanding!)

The no-no is loading discs you rented or borrowed from others. This isn't the case in the scenario you described.

The other thing you need to do is to KEEP posession of the DVD. You must not sell any DVDs you own, or give them away, without first deleting it from your Kaleidescape.

You must have purchased or otherwise own each of your discs (for instance a gift of a DVD you received is obviously fine even though YOU didn't purchase it), and you must keep posession of the disc in order to be in compliance. That's my understanding of the agreement...
--josh

As a practicing attorney, lecturer in Intellectual Property law, and a K dealer, Josh is correct, regardless of how you obtain legal ownership of the dvd (purchase or gift) you are permitted to load it into a K system. As he also stated, you must maintain legal ownership AND POSSESSION of the dvd to be in compliance with your K agreement, which, we believe, also keeps you legal in the area of current copyright law.

Most, if not all, of the rental companies sell used stock as demand for the movie drops off. Although I do not know what their respective contracts indicate regarding these sales, absent specific language to the contrary, they would be able to sell the used dvd's without violating copyright law.

Jim

If anyone ever gave you a hard time about this, you would have the physical disc and your actions would be reasonable. I think you're AOK.

Back