• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Layer change while viewing movies? Am I wrong?

I also have the standard release Matrix Reloaded. In our favorite scene files this scene has been labeled "I'll handle them" or "Fight Club at M's Chateau".

On the DVD its chapter #20 "Blade Leapers". There are 36 chapters on the disc + extras so its not an illogical place for a layer change. And I just watched it and it is DEFINITELY there. The time marker is about 1.20:30

Btw, I love this scene! Sorry to go OT but I think the sequels are better than most give them credit for.

Yep- that's the place. I am glad it is not just me. Why does this happen? If Kaleidescape keeps profiles of all dvds on its servers, could they manually go in and fix this problem with the disc's profile- telling the server to "fix" the layer change by skipping forward a fraction fo a second?

I think its because there is a fundamental flaw in the balance of the equation where the flaw is revealed as both beginning and ending... :p

In all seriousness, I would also like to know why this occurs because if its just streaming data why should it have any pause at all. On the plus side its the fastest "layer change" I've ever seen. Perhaps thats how DVDs are encoded- where it knows to anticipate this. If so then I agree it might be possible to have the software manage to hide this. I'm curious to know more.

Mike Malcolm Addressed it on AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=778198&highlight=kaleidescape

Or paraphrased
Here is the analysis from one of our engineers:
DVDs are authored to include a non-seamless branch at the same time as a layer change, which means that playback is essentially restarting at that point. Because of that, we will have a slight delay on layer changes. Since we?re reading from hard drives and don?t need to do an actual layer switch, the delay is usually a lot quicker than most DVD players. If you watch closely, you can notice this delay as a minor stutter on most DVDs. This is largely affected by how the DVD is authored. Most new DVDs are authored to have the layer change at a point where it isn?t very noticeable. I don?t think the layer change in the Matrix Reloaded is that bad ? it?s at a freeze frame and the sound has been brought down for it.

I hope this helps.

Michael Malcolm, CEO
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Dizzman,
Nice work finding that quote. That about sums up what is happening and I guess implied in the statement is, no fix is coming.

Jim

Oh- he posted on my original thread before I posted here. Neat. Well, if that is what is happening, why can't the K system address it? Can't it read the disk, then play it back skipping that frozen frame? I don't see why the disk profile cannot be authored in the K system to bring the frames together so it is not noticed. Anyone?

Great work Dizzman and of course thanks to Mr. Malcolm for the info.

I am sure the system could be programmed for each DVD but I think this would be a tedious job and I do agree with Mr. Malcolm that on most DVDs its not that noticeable. Perhaps we can request this as a new feature- the ability for the end user to edit around the layer change and then we could share those "layer change" files as we share favorite scenes?

Thanks JerryL.

My question is whether or not it is possible in the individual profiles for the dvds themselves as downloaded from Kscape, not what the logistics would be to do it ourselves. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Only Kaleidescape would truly know the answer. But I will guess that it is possible.

best regards,
Jerry

Considering what K has accomplished up to this point, it does seem possible this could be done on import. I'll see if K has a response to the specific question "Can/will it ever be implemented?"

Jim

No offense guys, but am I the only one who hopes this feature request is at the bottom of the list?

PS - does anyone find the irony in Mr. Malcolm posting on the ridiculously DIY and anti Kaleidescape AVS forum but not allowing the employees to post on this incredible resource?

Last edited:
If it is a simple fix on a per-disk basis, why not have it implemented?

But you are right- I did think it was weird that he would post on avsforum and not here.

That is a very interesting point you bring up. I would hope that he sees it and reconsiders. I think these forums pose a very difficult opportunity for the manufacturers but I also think if handled with tight reigns there could be, like I said, an opportunity.

well, I think I ave my answer- K is not going to address this problem. But I ahve to say, it bugs the bejesus out of me. There is just no reason that the sysem should nto be able to fix layer change pauses some how. Now that I know they are there, they just bug me. Anyywa, enough of a rant- on to the next issue- when will K support bluray and hd dvd? :)

......- on to the next issue- when will K support bluray and hd dvd? :)

Nothing has changed on this subject. K is still waiting for a standard to be established for copy control, and then the appropriate licensing discussions can take place. This is not within K's control. It is my understanding that K is prepared to move forward on BR/HD-DVD just as soon as the standard is determined.

Jim

Yes, and a new server that takes ~1/3 less space, has ~1.5TB more drive capability doesnt hurt either. Who knows, maybe by the time these become possible the drives will have moved to over a TB per drive...

.........Who knows, maybe by the time these become possible the drives will have moved to over a TB per drive...

That would be nice considering the storage capacity we will need for BR/HD-DVD.:)

Jim

Back