• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Layer Change Delay- Why?!?!?

iansilv

I am at my in-laws house, watching movies on their Kaliedescape, and have noticed this a couple of times now- the layer change delay is preserved just as though the disk was being read by a regular dvd player. Why is this? I don't understand why this would be necessary if the disk is being played off of the hard drives. Does anyone have an answer?

I've noticed it also, and for years it seems Kaleidescape has kinda denied it happens or blamed it on poorly authored DVDs... yet it does happen and it bothers me a bit.

I know you first reported this issue here 3 years ago, and it is somewhat surprising it's never been acknowledged (much less fixed) in all this time.

Probably worth pinging customer support just to log it and see if they have an answer, but I'm guessing they'll say "bad discs, not our issue".

--josh

I wonder if it is still there because there is a slight gap in the time line that is hard encoded into it? I have noticed that I can tell when there is a layer change during a scene, but when films are authored so that the layer change is between scenes it is not noticable and certainly not distracting like a visible layer change is.

That's right- I did report it earlier. I would think K could just make the disk profiles ignore these gaps.

I believe on any disc authored to be dual layer, the layer change is not just a physical thing but its actually authored into the code. In order to truly alleviate it you would have to reencode and remove it or perhaps K could have a system whereby the data is buffered for a few seconds, when the layer change pause occurs it would be ignored and then life would move on...

The real issue is that there should NEVER be a layer change mid scene. I have seen them not only mid scene but not even between camera switches. That shows that nobody chose where to put the layer change in.

Think of it like typing a paper in word. Put the page break in so it doesn't split your graph in half over two pages. It makes perfect sense. The people authoring the discs are either ignorant or lazy when it comes to making this a non-issue. We shouldn't have to fix that with hardware after the fact.

Anyone from K here care to comment on this? I like the idea above- just ignore the layer change and buffer everything a bit.

I suspect it is an issue with poor mastering where the delay is hard coded into the signal.

One other point comes to mind- I doubt they are going to allocate too many resources to DVD playback right now- they have that down cold. They should be working on getting us HD- either via BR or DL or some unknown method (carrier pigeon? ;) )

Back