• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Last movie watched

Zatoichi is a very entertaining series, one of my favorites! Yojimbo and Sanjuro are favorites as well. I was lucky to have been able to grab a few Kendo lessons from Yoshio Sugino, especially because by that time (mid-1970's) he was already approaching 70 years old. I'd been studying Kendo for about 6 years at the time. Yoshio San became a golfing friend in Japan as well, and he's responsible for my introduction to Mifune (they became friends because he was hired to provide on set training for some fight scenes in various Kurosawa films). Mifune actually played two rounds of golf with us, and spent most of the time complaining or joking around because he was not very good at golf. Yoshio was about 15 years older than Toshiro as I remember it, but they maintained a close friendship over the years.

The earlier post mentioning Zatoichi and Yojimbo triggered a fun memory, so thank you @DmitryB, it reminded me of a really fun day on the set of "Zatoichi meets Yojimbo" in 1970. It was the last day of filming and we were invited to the set by another friend, a Japanese comedian (Oka Hachiro), who was friends with the Director (Okamoto). As the only Gaijin in attendance, and being very young, I got a lot of attention at the dinner we all attended. A lot of drinking, a lot of joking, and a lot of fun!!

Sorry, had to voice that, just such a fond memory..... :giggle:

Jim
I am painfully jealous of every word of this post!!! That is amazing stuff!

I am painfully jealous of every word of this post!!! That is amazing stuff!

Ha! No reason for that, life is a series of experiences, some more interesting than others. I grew up very poor. I thought I had nothing of value as a child. My Mother raised 6 children by herself, the only thing she could give us that she thought might help educate us with a set of encyclopedia Britannica books. She could only afford one volume every 4 weeks, and as it turned out I was the only one that read them front to back, several times each volume. That created a desire to see the countries and people I was reading about, and by happenstance I was given my first opportunity when I was recruited by an agency that worked exclusively outside the US.

That same job required me to be a people person, constantly meeting and speaking with people in various positions in business and government, and my area was Southeast Asia. My initial station was in Okinawa, before it reverted back to Japan. I was there for the reversion, then moved to mainland Japan. It was during these periods that I met some of the people discussed in the thread.

As everyone reading this knows, when we are living these experiences we don't usually recognize them as such, they're just something else we did that day. It's only when we're much older, and thinking back on our lives that we recognize them for the value they added to our lives. In the scheme of things, they may be interesting, but most certainly unimportant.

It turns out I was wrong.....I did have value in my life as a child.....that value arrived every 4 weeks......

Jim

Ha! No reason for that, life is a series of experiences, some more interesting than others. I grew up very poor. I thought I had nothing of value as a child. My Mother raised 6 children by herself, the only thing she could give us that she thought might help educate us with a set of encyclopedia Britannica books. She could only afford one volume every 4 weeks, and as it turned out I was the only one that read them front to back, several times each volume. That created a desire to see the countries and people I was reading about, and by happenstance I was given my first opportunity when I was recruited by an agency that worked exclusively outside the US.

That same job required me to be a people person, constantly meeting and speaking with people in various positions in business and government, and my area was Southeast Asia. My initial station was in Okinawa, before it reverted back to Japan. I was there for the reversion, then moved to mainland Japan. It was during these periods that I met some of the people discussed in the thread.

As everyone reading this knows, when we are living these experiences we don't usually recognize them as such, they're just something else we did that day. It's only when we're much older, and thinking back on our lives that we recognize them for the value they added to our lives. In the scheme of things, they may be interesting, but most certainly unimportant.

It turns out I was wrong.....I did have value in my life as a child.....that value arrived every 4 weeks......

Jim
And also a Mother’s love by the sound of it.

We have a wonderful Grandson now 22 mths old. Of course we spoil him when the right opportunity arises but I think we both realise that the most important things we have to give him are our love, time and support. Watching him learn and helping him to do so is a joy for us both and I am sure you reading those encyclopaedias will have made your Mother smile.

Watched Alita Battle Angel last night. Might just be me but I think this movie got lost amongst the maelstrom of Marvel, DC and Cameron’s other movies. So it probably didn’t get the credit it deserved. As ever a story well told, great visuals with another world created in such detail. It’s a very enjoyable watch. The characters and their fight scenes are done as well as any in my opinion. It was delayed, deferred and delayed again before release and the second movie in the trilogy seems to be suffering without any dates as far as I know. Avatar was impressive but tbh I think as a movie I probably preferred this one. Directed by Rodriguez but with Cameron’s fingerprints all over it as producer and writer.

Watched "Triangle of Sadness." It won the Palme d'Or a couple of years ago and it's very polarizing. I loved it. Such a strange and fascinating film.

I mentioned this film (Triangle...) in that past myself, I thought it was excellent! I was hoping we'd get it in the Store, but it might be awhile given Neon has the distribution rights.

Jim

Watched "Triangle of Sadness." It won the Palme d'Or a couple of years ago and it's very polarizing. I loved it. Such a strange and fascinating film.
its available in the UK store albeit a little pricey I would suggest but I think it has been in sales already. Watched it when it came out and I was a little disappointed because I thought the trailer was funnier/better than the movie for me. The underlying premise was fine. It does seem to be one that is 'love it or hate it' though.

Although I thought it was excellent, I can see why others might find it to be nothing special, it's definitely "one of those films" that will appeal to some more than others. For me it's more about the acting than the messaging.

Jim

Although I thought it was excellent, I can see why others might find it to be nothing special, it's definitely "one of those films" that will appeal to some more than others. For me is more about the acting than the messaging.

Jim
It's just such a wild ride, the increasingly deranged situations and you kind of just stare in disbelief. (I'm only disappointed they didn't devolve to cannibalism! :D) I'm sure it's the food-poisoning sequence that a lot of people found absolutely off-putting. And the messaging, but I think the messaging could be dismissed on a very superficial level. Östlund flips the script on the original premise, and the have-nots show us how absolute power corrupts absolutely. I don't think anyone comes off well here. I think ultimately it's a film about the human condition and how we are all damaged in the same way.

And I did purchase it from the UK store.

In Jim Carey's words ... DO NOT watch this before a meal .. LOL
Today I am skipping Lunch.
Yes.... there is an extended sequence that's...really something I can't think of anything comparable in cinema. And just when you think it can't get grosser, it does. There's one shot in particular; it's very brief, but it is more than you can be prepared for. It's both mortifying and funny because of how mortifying it is and because it just won't stop.

Back