• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KVault-10 error - instructions to open

TDP

My KVault-10 keeps on flashing the 000 error code and won't do anything. I saw there was some communication in April about this problem and one has to open up the thing (yep, out of warranty) to retrieve discs that went astray and remove obstacles. Can anyone help me with the instructions on how to safely open the KVault-10?

My KVault-10 keeps on flashing the 000 error code and won't do anything. I saw there was some communication in April about this problem and one has to open up the thing (yep, out of warranty) to retrieve discs that went astray and remove obstacles. Can anyone help me with the instructions on how to safely open the KVault-10?

Before you do that, completely disconnect power (for the Vault) for 30 seconds and then power back up, see if that fixes the problem.

Jim

Questions:

1. Did it just start doing this on it's own, or was this condition in response to inserting new content?

2. Did it start doing this after physically moving the vault?

What I'm getting at is sometimes a new disc may be one of the "thicker" discs that can, but not always, get stuck in the drive during import. It could also be that movement has displaced a disc and the unit is jammed or the rails that hold the drive have shifted (that's my way of saying an alignment issue may be present). These conditions would require the top to be removed to correct (I can send instructions if needed). Of course there are other firmware related issues that can cause this as well. Start by cycling the power (cord) on and off to see if it resets and corrects the issue.

If you need the instructions, email me and I'll forward to you.

cinelifellc@gmail.com

Jim

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your response to my cry for help on the KVault-10. *I have done the power cycle probably 20 times, sometimes leaving it off for a few days. *It started doing this without me having loaded a new disc and without moving it. *It has done this once before, about a month ago, after which i powered it down and up, which solved the problem at the time, but this time round it appears to be more stubborn. I haven't loaded any new discs since the first time the problem occurred, so it might be one of the discs I inserted with my last batch! Which went OK through the import cycle, but might be thicker than the others and started giving problems.

I'm not sure whether other vaults normally do the same, but I have noted my vault cycles every now and then (appears to be random with a few days in-between). I suspect that these errors slip in when the vault goes through its cycle and it might contain a somewhat thicker disc that gets stuck.

Will really appreciate the instructions to open the vault. Have sent email.

I'm Jerry. :)

Can you do an "eject all discs" from the unit? If not at least try running this:

http://{IP address of K Player attached to the KVault10}/inventory.html

(so example is: http://192.168.1.202/inventory.html )

This forces the player to do a new inventory of all the discs in it.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your response to my cry for help on the KVault-10. *I have done the power cycle probably 20 times, sometimes leaving it off for a few days. *It started doing this without me having loaded a new disc and without moving it. *It has done this once before, about a month ago, after which i powered it down and up, which solved the problem at the time, but this time round it appears to be more stubborn. I haven't loaded any new discs since the first time the problem occurred, so it might be one of the discs I inserted with my last batch! Which went OK through the import cycle, but might be thicker than the others and started giving problems.

I'm not sure whether other vaults normally do the same, but I have noted my vault cycles every now and then (appears to be random with a few days in-between). I suspect that these errors slip in when the vault goes through its cycle and it might contain a somewhat thicker disc that gets stuck.

Will really appreciate the instructions to open the vault. Have sent email.

Instructions have been sent. Bro "Jerry" has also given a good suggestion.:)

Jim

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the advice to try the re-inventory command, or eject all discs. Nothing works. I tried it (read the suggestion from Jim back in April to Shoeman), but I got the same error code as Shoeman got at the time. Therefore I was after the instructions to open up and inspect.

Fortunately, both Jim (or Jerry...if he prefers:D) and MarkH sent me the instructions by email. My weekend turned into more of a social one than I expected, though and haven't yet got to opening up and inspecting the situation.

Will let the forum know what I find as soon as I get into the machine.

Sorry that didn't do the trick. Good luck with the process and let us know how it works out.

Sorry TDP have not been on in awhile and just saw ur PM and sent you a note for your e mail to which I could send you the info on opening. But I see that Mark has already done that. Mark is the one who sent it to me. Hopefully you can get it going. Dont give up keep playing with it and hopefully you will have some luck. Again sorry for the delay.

Hi All,

Thank you for all the help and advice so far. Last night I opened the vault - really quick and easy thanks to the instructions. I couldn't find anything wrong when it was opened, so I carried it to my living room to connect it to a player (normally connected to a different player). The vault powered up and started identifying all discs (fortunately I only had 26 in) and I waited for it to complete. All seemed fine and Blu-ray movies played again. Then I closed the vault up, but didn't do it properly at first and got error 504 (mechanism having trouble to rotate carousel). Corrected the slight misalignment (two small pins at top of disc feeding mechanism) and got the thing working properly again.

Then I disconnected the vault, carried it to where it normally stands and connected it to the player it normally gets connected to. Started up fine and I was able to play BR's form the server. But after a couple of minutes the vault went into one of those regular cycles of identifying (confirming identity) a few discs. Then after about the third or fourth disc, it went into error 503 (blocked sensor). I tried power off/on the vault a few times, restart the player, tried to initiate the inventory process, but nothing working so far.

Will probably have regained patience tomorrow evening to open up again and see whether there is in fact a disc stuck at the drive feeder mechanism. If there's any new wisdom at this point from anyone, I would appreciate to get some.

If it is the same fault that you have already identified would it be possible to acquire and fit replacement parts?

If a mechanism becomes missaligned it may have been poor initial alignment resulting in wear or some form of damage has occurred during service. The unit may always be troublesome if correct alignment cannot be maintained.

I had a carousel some years ago that kept stopping....root cause was a manufacturing defect giving rise to missalignment between upper and lower casing halves. Once this defect was made good no further problems were experienced.

Hi JDS, the fault I mentioned (misalignment after I opened it for the first time), was merely my own mistake, which I corrected after which it worked for a while, but then started giving the error 503 (blocked sensor).

So earlier this week, I opened the vault again to find a BD (Larry Crowne) stuck in at the drive entry point. I removed it and the vault started working again. I returned it back to its normal location, after which I got the error again...so I opened it again, this time finding Toy Story 3 jammed at the drive entrance. So I removed this as well. I later on closed the vault up again, got it going and then fed these discs back in again to check it out. No problem came up again for to days, so today I bought 2 new BDs and fed them into the system, which all went well. Now I'm waitign for that flashing 000 or 503 again!

I am having the same problem, 503, and when I open it up, there's a disc stuck half way in of the disc feeding slot. What causes these discs to get stuck and why do they need to go back into the feeding slot once they've been imported? It seems this reverse pulling of them back into the feeding slot, from the carousel, is when they get stuck. They go in fine when being put in from the outside.

Hi Mikeap,
At first I thought I had a special problem. All the info I saw was around cleaning the little white (or black when fouled) transport roller. For some reason I thought that this was not the problem with my system and I started looking for a replacement drive, but later decided to clean the rollers with cotton buds and surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol).

This magically did the trick and I would suggest you do the same. I think the problem lies in the following. the front loading mechanism could theoretically only see 100 discs (if you would fully load it and never eject the discs). However, the vault periodically goes through a checking procedure to ensure the discs are still in their locations (i think it was part of how Kscape ensured the movie houses that the discs are in the vault). this way, the discs are seen by the drive and its rollers many times more than what the front loading mechanism sees. That's why the drive transport rollers get fouled much more and picks up this "stuck disc" problem.

Hope this explains it and I'm convinced if you just clean the drive rollers, you will be back on track again...it worked for me while I was really sceptical about it.

Regards,
TDP

TDP is correct. It does help to clean the rollers (most of the time), and it is also correct that the vault's (all vaults) periodically inventory discs to insure they are still in the vault.

Jim

Back