• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KUPGR-MOVIES-UNL

KProPGH

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
KUPGR-MOVIES-UNL

Does anyone know if these unlimited playback licenses are permitted to sell and what the going rate might be? Asking because a client has available for trade.

TIA

Last edited:
IIRC, When Premiere was launched, the systems came with a specific number of (max) playback zones. Owner's had the option of making a one-time purchase of the "unlimited" license which allowed owner's to exceed the stated maximum. This was a separate contract outside of the included playback license, but was also affected by the equipment in the system. I don't remember for certain, but I believe this was aimed at commercial use of the system, and/or large installations (I had one client that had 11 zones at one one point). Someone at K may be able to clarify the above comments.

It is still listed in the Dealer "extended" price list at $5,000 MSRP. (It might have been more historically, don't remember.)

Jim

And no, it´s not for unlimited movie playback as one could probably interpret into it. :cool:

@cinelife is there a way to do similar with the "5 systems" limit? I only have 4 but (IMO well not cool) it counts a costar Premiere/Encore system as 2 systems. Means I can't bring my "5th" online.

The 5 systems limit is due to licensing. I seriously doubt there is any way to get around that 😭

Andy

What @andy said.....

Jim

To be more clear, the KUPGR-MOVIES-UNL is an additional license that allows the purchaser to have more than the 5 player maximum simultaneous playback limitation (i.e. more than 5 zones). It has nothing to do with the 5 "system download" restriction, they are NOT related, there is nothing available for purchase that would allow more than the current 5 "system" download limitation. It also has nothing to do with unlimited movie access. Access to Store content is based solely on what you have purchased from the Store.

The license in question is really useful in large installations, for example, there are some Yacht installs that can have 20+ individual players, and to have all of those players have simultaneous playback capability requires additional licensing/software. That License is purchased by adding the KUPGR-MOVIES-UNL.

Obviously the license can be purchased for ANY installation, so if an owner wants the ability to have more than 5 players with simultaneous playback capability, the KUPGR-MOVIES-UNL is the license they would purchase.

Jim

Very thorough explanation @cinelife Jim, thank you from all of us. That said… I now have one for sale in the event anyone has a need or knows anyone that may need.

Cheers Andy and Jim. Thought it would be some contractual / licensing blah... still though, it's a bit BS that a connected premiere and encore system which is one system by design with costar (one single library, HD/SD can go to Encore or Premiere, DVD/BR discs can't go to Encore, 4K can't go to Premiere for technical...) still counts as 2 separate systems. I do wonder if that's a "legacy" element of said license / contract...? Encore / costar obviously came along down the road...

Maybe its a bit like all the civil servants copying and pasting NT4 and mid 90's encryption criteria into EU legal agreements and then did exactly the same copying them back after Brexit (shudder).:rolleyes:

The physical separation of systems (Premiere / Strato-Terra) was required by the content owners/distributors in order to gain access to the digital content made available to the Kaleidescape Store. I think, but don't know for certain, allowing the two systems a direct connection would somehow compromise the "closed system" security developed by K that allows us the ability to create a persistent copy locally. I may not be remembering that correctly, but I do believe it is one of the main factors for the separation requirement. This is why even with a Co-Star, playback of content on each system is still done through that system's Players (i.e. content on Premiere uses an M-class Premiere player for playback, while content on Terra uses Strato for playback).

Kaleidescape developed the Co-Star in response to the separation requirement, and numerous requests from K owners to at a minimum allow owners to see and control all of their content, both disc based and digital based, onscreen in a single unified GUI, as opposed to having two separate systems that were accessed as separate "sources" in their setups. Owner's of both Premiere and Strato/Terra have the option to either operate them as separate systems, or add Co-Star to gain unified access and control of the content on both systems, while at the same time meeting the contractual requirement to keep the two systems functionally separate.

Jim

Back