• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KScape w/ Sony Ruby and HDMI

sshearer

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Does anyone currently have their KScape hooked up to a Sony Ruby projector using the HDMI connection?

When I first hooked up my KScape to the Sony Ruby, I had it running through a DVDO VP50 video processor and had the same problem others did with these 2 units not working well together (KScape tech support has said this is still an issue they are working on with DVDO). I then decided to use the component video outputs on the KScape. This past weekend I decided to see what would happen if I hooked the KScape up directly to the Sony Ruby with HDMI (by-passing the VP50 VP). However, when I did this, the picture quality was just as poor as when I ran the signal through the VP50 (picture seems blurry and when any text is displayed on the screen, there are parts of the lettering missing - hard to describe).

If anyone does have this combination working fine, could you please let me know what settings you are using on the KScape output and on the Ruby input.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Scott

Scott,
I have the Kscape, Ruby, VP50 and Mosquito HDMI working together. Unfortunately, if I take the Mosquito out of the chain, I run into major problems. I'm HDMI all the way through. I have also notified Kscape of this.

Best of luck,

Reg,

Thank you for your reply. Don't think I want to purchase a Mosquito just to solve this problem since every other component I have hooked up to the VP50 and the Ruby work fine through HDMI.

Did you by any chance ever try hooking the KScape up to the Ruby without either the VP50 or the Mosquito in the chain to see what happens? Initially I thought the problem was caused by the insertion of the VP50, but it appears the problem may be the KScape (which somehow the Mosquito fixes).

I'll wait a little while and see if anyone else has any experience and then contact KScape. The last time I spoke with them they said the problem was the VP50 and were waiting on responses from DVDO. Unfortunately it appears the problem exists even without the VP50 in the chain.

Scott

Scott

KScape and Sony VPL100

I don't know if a VPL100 is a "ruby" but thats what I use.

I have a Kscape to Gefen HDMI switcher 4x4 to a VPL100 and a Pioneer 5000EX

From time to time after switching HDMI I get total breakdown of teh signal, needing reboot of teh Gefen stuff. Other than that it works fine...!

Rayand,

Thank you for your reply. That is the Ruby. It is interesting that so far those that have gotten this combination to work have had another HDMI unit in the signal chain.

I wonder if these other units (Mosquito and Gefen HDMI switcher) are somehow doing something to the KScape HDMI signal that then allows the Ruby to work properly?

If anyone else has any experience in this area, I look forward to learning about it as I would really like to get this working on my end.

Scott

this will be really basic- but do you have the kplayer configured to output HDMI? if so what output resolution are you using and trying to get to work?

I would try it with 480P first just to be sure its working. Problems seem to occur with 480i. I cannot get it to work with HDMI out at 480i either. Btw- I find the component video to be pretty clean.

best regards,
Jerry

Before we jerked our Ruby off the ceiling of one of our demo rooms we had the kscape 2500 player hooked through a 4x2 Gefen HDMI switch to a Ruby and it worked fine. Never tried it direct though.

I will throw this out there though. We also had a NAD Masters Stack of gear connected to the Ruby. During some testing, we COULD not get the masters to synch with the Ruby on HDMI. It was a Ruby issue and adding a simple HDMI repeater in the chain after the NAD and it worked fine. It might be worth your time to try to add a cheap HDMI repeater into your chain and see what happens as there is definately some monkey business going on with the HDMI port on the Rubys.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion about using an HDMI repeater. I did just purchase a Monoprice 5X1 HDMI splitter that is supposed to have some type of enhancement circuit in it. I hope to give that a shot this weekend and see what difference that makes.

Scott

I sent a PM on this as well. My Ruby works fine with 1080i HDMI out of K-Player directly into Ruby HDMI. Ruby deinterlaces to 1080p.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for letting me know. I will have to try again because the last time I tried, it did not work properly for me.

Scott

Jim,

Thanks for letting me know. I will have to try again because the last time I tried, it did not work properly for me.

Scott

Please descibe what you are seeing (any PQ issues) when you go direct from the K-Player to the Ruby using HDMI on both ends. Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

If I output a 1080i hdmi signal from the KScape directly to the Ruby, everything looks fine. However, if I output a 480i hdmi signal from the KScape directly into the Ruby hdmi port, if there is any text on the screen, the edges of any text on the screen looks like stairsteps. What I have been trying to do is to have the KScape output the 480i signal and then let my video processor upscale the signal to 1080i or 1080p on the Ruby. This is what I have been unable to do. Could you try have the KScape output the DVD signal at 480i directly into the Ruby and let me know if you get a good signal or not? If I can get this to work OK, then I can try introducing the video processor (DVDO VP50) into the chain to do the upscaling rather than using the internal scaler in the Ruby.

Thanks.

Scott

Jim,

If I output a 1080i hdmi signal from the KScape directly to the Ruby, everything looks fine. However, if I output a 480i hdmi signal from the KScape directly into the Ruby hdmi port, if there is any text on the screen, the edges of any text on the screen looks like stairsteps. What I have been trying to do is to have the KScape output the 480i signal and then let my video processor upscale the signal to 1080i or 1080p on the Ruby. This is what I have been unable to do. Could you try have the KScape output the DVD signal at 480i directly into the Ruby and let me know if you get a good signal or not? If I can get this to work OK, then I can try introducing the video processor (DVDO VP50) into the chain to do the upscaling rather than using the internal scaler in the Ruby.

Thanks.

Scott

Scott,

There is no problem with my 480i hdmi out from K-Player direct to the Ruby (no jaggies). A few weeks ago I assisted someone from K's Canadian office with a firmware adjustment to solve the 480i problem. I'm not sure if the fix has been fielded yet, if not it should be released soon. If it has been released, and assuming you have the latest firmware, it should have corrected the problem you are describing. I'm not certain 3.3.5 has the latest change. I'll inquire and post back here when I get the answer. Also, which K-Player do you have? Do you have 3.3.5?

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

Thank you very much for your reply. I do have 3.3.5 as of a couple days ago. The player I am using now was the earlier model player (without the reader). I don't remember the exact model number, but I could look this evening and let you know (I purchased this one used). I also have one of the current player/reader models in another location in the house which I could disconnect and move to the theater if necessary.

I had been told in an earlier phone call with KScape tech support that they were working on the 480i issue and it sounds like they may have it fixed now. I appreciate the assistance you provided in helping to resolve this issue. I will await you finding out if the fix was in 3.3.5 or I need to wait for a later update.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

Jim,

Thank you very much for your reply. I do have 3.3.5 as of a couple days ago. The player I am using now was the earlier model player (without the reader). I don't remember the exact model number, but I could look this evening and let you know (I purchased this one used). I also have one of the current player/reader models in another location in the house which I could disconnect and move to the theater if necessary.

I had been told in an earlier phone call with KScape tech support that they were working on the 480i issue and it sounds like they may have it fixed now. I appreciate the assistance you provided in helping to resolve this issue. I will await you finding out if the fix was in 3.3.5 or I need to wait for a later update.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

No need to check the player's model. The older player is the KPLAYER-2500, the new KPLAYER with the reader is the KPLAYER-5000.

Also, there is no need to "move" the other player, the result would be the same. I only asked because I'm using the 2500. If you had been having a problem with the 5000, then there would be other considerations. I'll make the call today to determine if the 480i fix has been implemented.

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

Have you heard anything back from KScape yet as to whether the 480i fix has been made and how the fix is implemented?

Thanks.

Scott

Jim,

Have you heard anything back from KScape yet as to whether the 480i fix has been made and how the fix is implemented?

Thanks.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reminder! The initial answer I received was "qualified" in that I was told the person would check and get back to me, which obviously didn't happen (they are really busy at K these days!). He did say that he did NOT think it had been implemented in that last firmware update.

I'll inquire again.:)

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

Thanks very much for your reply and your willingness to check again. It is a good thing that KScape is busy since that can only mean good things for all of us.

Scott

Back