• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kscape System Offline

Steven

Hi,

Has anyone out there ever heard of a situation where outputs are automatically disabled after a system has not 'checked in' with Kaleidescape after a certain period of time?

Thanks, Steven

Hi,
Has anyone out there ever heard of a situation where outputs are automatically disabled after a system has not 'checked in' with Kaleidescape after a certain period of time?
Thanks, Steven

By "outputs" are you talking Audio & Video playback? If so, no. Not having you server "check in" with Kaleidescape will not effect playback.

Now if your system is not connected to the internet and you are having playback issues Kaleidescape can not notify your dealer of potential problems that you maybe experiencing nor can they diagnose or trouble shoot any issues. I would say to try and get your system connected to the internet so it can "check in" with kaleidescape and let them know how it's doing and if it's having a issue such as failing hard drive, logic board, etc.

Hi,

Thanks, Steven

Steven,
something that happened to me about a month ago was that my HDMI output would not work. I narrowed it down to the HDMI output because the component out on the K worked fine and I bypassed my pre/pro and put the HDMI directly into the projector and it still didn't work and switched out to another HDMI cable and it still didn't work.

After wasting about 30-45 minutes on this, I turned off the 1080p PLAYER (NOT the server-because I've read on these forums that you need to power down the server in a very specific fashion - but I digress), waited a minute and turned it back on and BINGO it worked fine (should have done that first)....anyway, not sure if that was what you meant regarding a problem with an "output" or not, but those are the specifics of what happened to me and the high-tech fix I did.

Steven,
something that happened to me about a month ago was that my HDMI output would not work. I narrowed it down to the HDMI output because the component out on the K worked fine and I bypassed my pre/pro and put the HDMI directly into the projector and it still didn't work and switched out to another HDMI cable and it still didn't work.

After wasting about 30-45 minutes on this, I turned off the 1080p PLAYER (NOT the server-because I've read on these forums that you need to power down the server in a very specific fashion - but I digress), waited a minute and turned it back on and BINGO it worked fine (should have done that first)....anyway, not sure if that was what you meant regarding a problem with an "output" or not, but those are the specifics of what happened to me and the high-tech fix I did.

I've experienced the same on occasion, and it usually relates to an HDMI "handshake" issue, (but not always), and powering off/on usually resolves such issues.

Regarding the Server power, not sure what else is written on the subject but K's recommendations are simple:

1. Keep the Server powered "On." (Constantly cycling On/Off works the disks and cools/heats the electronics unnecessarily).

2. If you want/need to restart the Server, do it in the K Web Utility (Installer page). Select Components then select "Restart" on the Server. This is a "soft" reboot and restarts while creating less stress on the system.

3. If you must power down, do it by pressing the power button on the Server versus unplugging the Server. Although it appears to instantaneously shutdown, there is a fraction of a second that is beneficial to the system. Always wait at least 30 Sec. before powering up to give the disks time to stop spinning.

These are K's "recommendations," they are not requirements.

Sorry to go OT.

Jim

Steven, it has happened once that I know of. A server was doing the check-in when Kaleidescape's sever was offline and it make the end user's server inoperable for a few minutes. Kaleidescape said they would look into that and fix the issue.

My guess is they were updating a license file to a new version and got interrupted somehow and if they deleted the old file before getting the new one then the server went offline it wouldn't have a valid license. I was never explained how it happened but was told they fixed the issue. The server was out of commission for only a few minutes that I could tell. That was not related to being offline for an extended period of time. Due to being located on lots of yachts, I can imagine that they would have to allow for long periods of no network connectivity.

Back