• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kscape Distribution of Satellite in Home

Steven

Hi,

I've been curious about in-home distribution of my satellite, DVD, and other video signals. Wouldn't a Kaleidescape server connected via Ethernet be a perfect way to do whole home video distribution? I know that there are home automation systems, but the server/multiple player setup of Kscape seem be perfect for that.

Thanks, Steven

not sure that I completely understand what you're proposing or asking. Part of your question mentions using Kaleidescape to distribute "DVDs" to other TVs in the house. It kinda does that, doesn't it? that's the whole point. It's not sending the "DVD signal" as you call it, it's just storing the data from the disc on a server, then sending those bits to the player when needed.

As for the other video sources you mention, the Kaleidescape doesn't actually distribute video signals, it just sends data like any computer server. So, that means it's not really a video distribution at all. It couldn't send other sources of video to players in other rooms - it would either need access to those bitstreams (which the operators of those services certainly won't permit), or it would need to have encoders that take a video signal and convert it to data. Not really feasible.

Now if you're asking if kaleidescape COULD one day add encoders or created some sort of Cable-card enabled STB... and it could be a super-DVR that stores programs to the hard disc arrays, then yes... that's possible but unlikely for kaleidescape.

Hi,

What I had meant by my post is that the Kaleidescape system does appear to have an IP distribution system throughout the house, as you say Josh, between the server and the players. If the Kaleidescapse system could import a signal from another device and convert it to an IP stream, it could conceivably be played anywhere there is a player.

I'm really not sure how easy that would be to implement, but a Slingbox essentially does that pretty easily, so it would be interesting to see how easy it could be added to the Kscape interface.

Thanks, Steven

No K Scape doesn't do this. It would be a copyright problem for the first thing, and then they would be responsible for the quality of the Sat or cable signal for another. That said, If you have direct tv and their DVR, the latest software update includes a beta program of being able to watch content on other DVRs around the house that are connected to your network. It works fairly well but skipping ahead is a little dicey.

Back