• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kino Lorber

Sonicom

Curiously, how much of a delay is there between the time that Kino Lorber releases a new 4K UHD Blu-ray release and the time that this is also upgraded to UHD/HDR in the Movie Store?
I see that To Live and Die in LA isn't even available in the Movie Store yet, despite being available as a 4K disc.
3 Days of the Condor is still only available in HD in the Movie Store, while Kino Lorber is offering the 4K disc.
On a related note, why in some cases is there a 4K release on disc but not in the Movie Store? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? :)

Cheers,
Michael

Sorry what I meant is I don’t think any Kino Lorber 4K titles have ever been added.
Yes, these 4K titles are usually exclusive to Kino Lorber for disc release with the studio reserving the right to do digital releases. The same with 4K Shout Factory and Criterion.

John

Curiously, how much of a delay is there between the time that Kino Lorber releases a new 4K UHD Blu-ray release and the time that this is also upgraded to UHD/HDR in the Movie Store?
I see that To Live and Die in LA isn't even available in the Movie Store yet, despite being available as a 4K disc.
3 Days of the Condor is still only available in HD in the Movie Store, while Kino Lorber is offering the 4K disc.
On a related note, why in some cases is there a 4K release on disc but not in the Movie Store? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? :)

Cheers,
Michael
Kino library is very slowly expanding. I don't think there was a new addition in the past several months. There hasn't been any sales on the Kino content so far either. I have been waiting for a sale for 2 years now. Disc to digital pricing is only a few dollars off from their retail pricing. As mentioned earlier, no 4K titles from Kino yet.

Shout Factory is another one. We got some of the anime titles added in the past 12 months but not much else.

Kino library is very slowly expanding. I don't think there was a new addition in the past several months. There hasn't been any sales on the Kino content so far either. I have been waiting for a sale for 2 years now. Disc to digital pricing is only a few dollars off from their retail pricing. As mentioned earlier, no 4K titles from Kino yet.

Shout Factory is another one. We got some of the anime titles added in the past 12 months but not much else.
I would certainly pay slightly more than one Kino Lorber charges me, for the convenience of having it in 4K format in Kscape. Perhaps it is a matter of not striking up a licensing agreement yet....

There are a few titles that Kino Lorber has in 4K that are also available in 4K from Kaleidescape, but I suspect those are probably coming from the original studios and not KL. (Like Leone's "The Man With No Name" trilogy, "The Silence of the Lambs," and "The Truman Show," are some examples.) I have a feeling Kino Lorber prefers to keep their exclusive 4K titles are their own exclusives.

There are a few titles that Kino Lorber has in 4K that are also available in 4K from Kaleidescape, but I suspect those are probably coming from the original studios and not KL. (Like Leone's "The Man With No Name" trilogy, "The Silence of the Lambs," and "The Truman Show," are some examples.) I have a feeling Kino Lorber prefers to keep their exclusive 4K titles are their own exclusives.
Those are titles Kino Lorber licensed from MGM for physical media releases only. Digital licensing rights still remain at MGM.

Those are titles Kino Lorber licensed from MGM for physical media releases only. Digital licensing rights still remain at MGM.
I thought it might be some licensing factor. Curiously, do you personally still purchase a lot of physical media?

Yes, these 4K titles are usually exclusive to Kino Lorber for disc release with the studio reserving the right to do digital releases. The same with 4K Shout Factory and Criterion.

John
Yes, I see in the Kino Lorber studio section that there is nothing in HRD or UHD...and also KL releases that have come out in UHD physical format do not exist in the Kscape store...

I thought it might be some licensing factor. Curiously, do you personally still purchase a lot of physical media?
Not a lot any more. I buy a couple of discs per month on average. Mostly older catalog titles and TV seasons missing on the K store. Also those SD only titles if there is a Blu-ray version out there. I import physical discs from Europe, Australia and Asia too.

I have 2 K systems, 1 current generation (Terra) and 1 older generation (Premiere) systems. The older Premiere server allows ripping DVDs and Blu-rays. Most of my discs are ripped to my Premiere system. Both systems work seamlessly just like a single setup. The best of ‘almost’ both worlds. I can’t rip 4K discs. I keep an Oppo 4K player in my setup for those 4K discs missing on the K store.

That certainly seems to be the case. I can't imagine that Kaleidescape actually would pose a threat to their physical media business, but they may have another interpretation on the matter.

Not a lot any more. I buy a couple of discs per month on average. Mostly older catalog titles and TV seasons missing on the K store. Also those SD only titles if there is a Blu-ray version out there. I import physical discs from Europe, Australia and Asia too.

I have 2 K systems, 1 current generation (Terra) and 1 older generation (Premiere) systems. The older Premiere server allows ripping DVDs and Blu-rays. Most of my discs are ripped to my Premiere system. Both systems work seamlessly just like a single setup. The best of ‘almost’ both worlds. I can’t rip 4K discs. I keep an Oppo 4K player in my setup for those 4K discs missing on the K store.
Can you use the Strata interface for everything? Or do you have the older Kaleidescape system on another input?

Can you use the Strata interface for everything? Or do you have the older Kaleidescape system on another input?
When you have the both systems (older and newer) and you pay some more money to Kaleidescape, they send you a small box called Co-Star switch which is essentially a 2 input and 1 output HDMI switch.

You connect each systems to the 2 inputs of the HDMI switch and connect the single output to your display. In the Kaleidescape Strato web interface, you enable Co-Star (appears only if you pay for the Co-Star license) function then select the Strato and the Premiere players from the drop down windows to pair them. See image below. (Note: Lumagen Radiance Pro can act as a Co-Star Switch but it also requires a special license from Kaleidescape).

IMG_0453.jpeg

Once you have done these, the Co-Star switch stays on the Strato input to display the the Strato interface and to show all the movies on the Strato/Terra server but switches to the Premiere player input if the selected movie resides on the Premiere server. The switching to the Premiere player happens only right before the film begins playing so you never see the Premiere player interface at all. The Strato player knows its paired with a Premiere player so it shows movie libraries from both Strato/Terra and Premiere Servers merged into one single library including the DVD and Blu-rays rips (K calls them imports). The switching is really fast so the operation is virtually seamless and indistinguishable as if everything was played from the Strato.

If you have a lot of Blu-ray discs and DVDs that you can’t find on the Kalediescape store, I would recommend a Co-Star system. The Premiere line up, Cinema One (2nd gen) and Alto players are compatible with the Co-Star Switch and you can pair with any Strato/Strato S/Strato C player. Keep in mind all of these older systems and players have discontinued years ago. Kaleidescape still has some old inventory or refurbished units. Reach out to Jim at Cinelife (admin here) and he can get you a refreshed system with warranty from Kaleidescape. He helped me build my system (see my signature). He has been a long time dealer and his knowledge on older (and newer) Kaleidescape equipment is superb. There are pros and cons with each different compatible player (Some can play but can’t import discs for example). I highly recommend talking to someone with the knowledge to find the best option for your needs and use case. Feel free to ask questions here or reach out in private, I can share my experiences with my system.

Here I documented My Kaleidescape journey in this thread. There are many questions answered and details shared about my Co-Star combined Strato/Terra and Premiere system.

Last edited:
Fun fact, if you have multiple Lumagen's in your system you only need 1 Lumagen license in your system (applied to one of the Strato's) and it will enable all the Lumagen's in the system to support co-star functionality and at the same time :)

Back