• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidoscope and 3D

AdamGT3

I know this was discussed some time ago and I believe KScape said that it was on the roadmap but, at that time, there were only 1 or 2 3D blurays available, so was not a priority.

I know that it's also a controversial subject. Some love it, some hate it and some just don't care.

BUT, I now have quite a few in 3D so is there any update as to when KScape support for 3D will be forthcoming and whether it will be a software update (as per the PS3) or a new player?

Will it also decode the HD formats???

Thanks

Adam

I would guess it probably is going to require a new player but the existing loaders should work with it (aside from the Vault being able to play - just being able to load) and obviously the servers would be compatible with it as is.

This is of course assuming that the existing players are not software upgradeable, which is quite likely.

While you might have a lot of 3D blu-ray titles, I am sure it was nowhere near the volume of titles that was available for HD-DVD and it was good for them that they didn't invest a lot of money to support that format. The jury is still out on whether or not 3D Blu-ray is going to survive, I think.

I agree with Mike, still not certain 3D will survive, but the manufacturer's that support 3D are still moving forward with the format and talking as if it is here to stay. We'll see. That said, I now have a couple dozen BR 3D and will probably acquire more. We have also sold about a dozen 3D projector's in the past several months and people inquire all the time, so there does appear to be an increasing interest in the format.

Jim

Does 3D still require A/V component support for HDMI 1.4a? I could be interested, but it would be such a major overhaul for me (i.e. display, receiver) that it's just not work it yet.

Is there any news on the possibility to watch movies in 3D? I have now a number of 3D movies and it is kind of annoying to stock those next to my playstation to watch them ;-)

Is there anything in work at Kaleidescape?

No 3D news. K doesn't normally discuss planned upgrades, or new components, ahead of their release. They are aware that many K owner's now have 3D in their collections, so perhaps we will see 3D support in the near future (and perhaps not).

Jim

would adding 3d just be a firmware upgrade similar to ps3 or would hardware actually need to change?

I've asked this of Kaleidescape execs, and the answer was that at least the player hardware would need to change. I'm pretty certain that the servers could handle the task, but it would be a change to the players.

Back